Let's discuss the 5E2 Princeton (5F2A alternate)

hackworth1

Friend of Leo's
Please correct me if I'm wrong. From my research, Fender produced just 300 units of the 5E2 model guitar amplifier.

The 5E2 is similar to the 5F1 and 5F2A in that it is a 5 W single-ended (SE) design with a 12AX7 preamp tube, a 6V6 power tube and a 5Y3 rectifier.

Like the 5F2A, the 5E2 also featured the treble roll-off tone control.

The same commonly available lay down power transformer fits all three models.

For the 5E2, a larger cabinet accommodated a 12 inch speaker. I do not know if a ten inch speaker model was also produced.

Exclusive to the 5E2, a choke and a physically large 15 W output transformer were outfitted.

I have on hand some of the large 15 W SE Classic Tone output transformers, but the bolt hole spacing is shorter than the 5E2 chassis holes.

I'm fairly certain that Heyboer could make a run of OT's to fit the holes. The OT frame is the standard size of a Tweed Deluxe PP OT.

OR, an additional hole can be drilled to accommodate the currently available, more compact 15 W OT.

Working on a prototype for a kit. A number of options to consider.

One could choose choke or no choke.

15 W OT or 5 W OT

Baffle cutout for 10 inch or 12 inch speaker.

screamin eagle

Poster Extraordinaire
Sounds cool.

I have a custom built 5c2 in a deluxe cab and chassis. It uses larger tranny's and a 12" speaker. Also since it's a tweed deluxe chassis (2 channel) I have it set up as one channel cathode biased and one channel grid leak biased.

robrob

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
It does sound interesting. For comparison:
princeton5e2.gif

fender_princeton-5f2a.pdf_1.png

hackworth1

Friend of Leo's
There was a post about best speaker for a 5F1 and I was about to comment, but here my point can be made with better emphasis.

One way to consider the 5F1 is to think of it as a head amp with a convenient built in 8 inch speaker - good for practice or general grab-and-go light duty.

When connected to a large speaker cabinet, a 5F1 can soar to greater heights, perhaps not though possible by those who haven't tried it.

When a 15 W OT is in the mix, then that adds headroom and higher sound levels albeit with that distinctive SE grit.

Therefore, a 5E2 or 5F2A, with a 15 W OT and the bigger cab with the bigger speaker is that different animal in one box. Now it's a bona fide combo amp.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the idea of providing options.

Offering any of them with an upgraded OT and larger speaker/cab would probably be a great move. It gives people an upgrade path from the start.

If I had an upgraded speaker and OT in my 5F1/5F2, it wouldn't stop me for replacing the 5Y3 with a diode plug and dropping a 6L6 in there.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Working on a prototype for a kit. A number of options to consider.

One could choose choke or no choke.

15 W OT or 5 W OT

Baffle cutout for 10 inch or 12 inch speaker.

Dave, that's a very cool idea. Given the major love here for bigger speakers and bigger iron in smaller Fender amps, I think a lot of people would jump on this.

Frankly, although it might get confusing on your end to offer all the options, I think the 5f2a with a 10" speaker is a perfect beginner amp (if for no other reason than the chassis is just so much easier to work in compared to a Champ). But if you also offered a 12" option, a choke option, and a 15W OT, lots of more advanced builders might get on board -- and i'm sure it would be a great hit for recording, and (at least with a PA) performing.

robrob

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
If you use a beefed up power transformer, multi tap 15 watt output transformer and a 10 watt cathode resistor you could officially do 6V6 and 6L6 and match tube impedance by using a different speaker tap. Of course the downside of that is the big transformers would cause 6V6 operation to sound tighter (less sag and compression) than with an amp designed for just the 6V6.

Last edited:

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
If you use a beefed up power transformer, multi tap 15 watt output transformer and a 10 watt cathode resistor you could officially do 6V6 and 6L6 and match tube impedance by using a different speaker tap. Of course the downside of that is 6V6 operation would sound tighter than with an amp designed for just the 6V6.

I'm no expert, Rob, but I agree with you there's some balancing required to keep early tweed feel. Sag, 'relaxed' bass, simplicity... Princeton, not Pro, etc

screamin eagle

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm no expert, Rob, but I agree with you there's some balancing required to keep early tweed feel. Sag, 'relaxed' bass, simplicity... Princeton, not Pro, etc

Yes there is. And that is why I love the grid leak channel on mine. The Cathode biased channel is a clean tweed channel with 6v6. A little on the tight side, but still tweed. The grid leak is really greeezzeee and raunchy.

A single ended 6L6 tweed princeton type amp is actually pretty cool, though it seems to upset the 'Freemason's of Tweed'.

jmp81sc

Tele-Meister
Hi Dave,
I built a 5F2A from a kit you put together for me, and I used a multi tap 15watt classic tone OT, and built it as a head. I play it through a larger 12" cab and it sound great. Plenty loud for band practice, could easily gig at coffee shop or quiet gigs. Actually a little too loud at home.

I like your idea of a small speaker combo that doubles as a head unit, with the ability to use 6V6, 6L6 or EL34. Would make a great grab and go amp for smaller gigs.

John

robrob

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I forgot to mention that 6L6 operation would benefit from more filter capacitor capacity due to the higher current draw. Again, this would further stiffen the 6V6 operation.

jsnwhite619

Friend of Leo's
If you use a beefed up power transformer, multi tap 15 watt output transformer and a 10 watt cathode resistor you could officially do 6V6 and 6L6 and match tube impedance by using a different speaker tap. Of course the downside of that is the big transformers would cause 6V6 operation to sound tighter (less sag and compression) than with an amp designed for just the 6V6.
I did that a few months ago for a friend and with some advice on here. 15 watt Classic tone OT one of their bigger PT's, multi- tap impedance switch for 6v6 & 6L6, beefed up resistor, plus a NFB switch. He put it in a 16"x18" pine cab I made, and threw a 10" Red Fang in there. I tried it out some to make sure it all worked...absolute Hell on wheels.

tweedman2001

Tele-Afflicted
Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
I was just rereading that Keef's stock guitar studio amp set up is a a Champ with an 8" speaker combined with a Harvard modified to a 6L6 and 12" speaker. He named it "One Love". It's single ended so my guess would be either a 6G10 or a 5F10 converted to single ended. Either way a variation what's being discussed here. Thought it was interesting.

rogb

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry to revive this old thread. I was thinking of building one of these 5E2s. Do you think a 10x6x2 Hammond box would be ok as the chassis or could I go smaller? Thanks!