1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Let's create a new headstock design

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PapaLion, Mar 9, 2012.

1. PapaLion

PapaLion Tele-Afflicted

I like the original Fender Telecaster headstock, wish I could just use that anytime But I also respect the fact that Leo created it for his use and Fender owns it. I am also aware of the suits years ago, and the generic headstock which finally became "allowed" with no suits.

I would like to see us create a new headstock and maybe even copyright it as a non profit group somehow. Reason? With the IPO coming the new headstock desgin could become a symbol of fellas who will build a guitar of very high quality and carry on the tradition for Leo and the original company. Things are going to change, probably become more international, and corporate for a long time. This headstock could become a defining statement.

Open source/Linux users have their pengiuin, we should have our defining headstock recognizing our open source share the "code" building thoughts.

I'm looking for thoughts on doing this in the first place? and second, ideas for the actual headstock.. what it should look like, stand for etc.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Papa, the lawsuits are over for the body shapes, but as for the headstock shape, if you get it close enough and are commercial about it, you will get a letter. And it goes from there. Now, I don't know if said suits would succeed in the UK but there's still life in them jeans.

3. mike steel

mike steel Tele-Meister

good idea. something a little bit hard to cut so you'd have to be a pretty good woodworker in the first place to do it.

4. LesterCorncrake

LesterCorncrake TDPRI Member

I came up with these a while ago, inspired by the geometric DAG Telstar headstock.

The DAG one looks fabulous and I'm surprised not to see more reproductions on tdpri.

Me:

[​IMG]

DAG Telstar:

[​IMG]

5. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Wow...recognizable, but different. I like it.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Trouble is, Leo "invented" such a fundamentally good shape, virtually anything you do that has 6 tuners on a side is going to look derivative. 3-and-3 to a side designs have pretty much been done by somebody at one time or another, and really "inventive" stuff, like maybe a hammerhead, isn't practical. (Probably somebody's even done a hammerhead). Just saying given the amount of space you have up there, the balance needs, practicality for reaching the tuners under all normal circumstances from total restringing to touching up one string between sets, there's only so much you can do. . .
    Great idea, though, and I'd love to be proven wrong, that there is something that breaks the mold. . .

7. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

I don't like it :(

8. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a Hahn headstock.

9. LesterCorncrake

LesterCorncrake TDPRI Member

It does rather.

[​IMG]

10. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Let's Leave Well Alone! :eek:

11. alexlaguna29

alexlaguna29 Tele-Holic

My thought exactly!

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like this one better than the original. Dunno how they get away with it, actually!

[​IMG]

13. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I think your idea is valid. Once the corporate world takes over, things could get very testy with even close designs to the original.

14. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not sure if it's true or not, but didn't Hahn bring a bunch of guitars to a show and have a Fender guy come up to him and say, "Better change your headstock quick-smart..." so he went and held each headstock up against a sander and squared off the ends?

15. newtherapist

newtherapist Tele-Meister

I'm not bib enough to appear on fender's radar but here's my standard headstock which I would hope is different enough to dodge the letter if I ever did get big enough.

I'd welcome your opinions on whether it's different enough.

Attached Files:

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Sad part is Johann Stauffer was using the 6 tuner on a side with the French curve under swoops circa 1830 on some of his acoustics. Paul Bigsby was using the form several years before Leo. Leo just came along, borrowed it and had the money to take ownership and defend it. Funny world we live in at times.

Barncaster

17. twiggymac

twiggymac Tele-Holic

diggin that headstock alot!

18. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

^^^^^^^^
    What he said

19. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

Hmm, I bet that's where Steve Jobs got the idea :D

20. PapaLion

PapaLion Tele-Afflicted

I understand and embrace the concept of ~open source~ software, mainly Linux derivatives years ago. The idea is so simple, you have right to use but not derive gain from using the code we all contribute to. I think we might "own' a particular headstock design somehow as a group, and license the use. That headstock would signify someone who built the guitar in the spirit of the orginal Fender design. Good for a seller, good for a buyer. It is analogous and as simple as downloading RedHat and checking yes for the agreement included.

We surely have an attorney or two on site who might contribute to this discussion?

> The pics I see posted so far are all something I could live with. I'd like a choice that assured me I would not be sued or harassed and that identified me as a guitar builder cognizant of Fender history and craftsmanship.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.