Let's build a house on the beach! What could possibly go wrong?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by richiek65, Aug 9, 2020.

1. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

After those houses wash into the sea, the folks on the other side of street will have beach front property from a more reasonable distance.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Who didn’t see that coming, then they will rebuild them a couple feet back and complain when it happens again in the coming years

jrbab, bumnote, greenhornet and 5 others like this.
  3. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I guess one of the three little pigs didn't see the big bad wolf on the horizon.

Obsessed and Fretting out like this.
  4. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One little piggy built a house of straw ........

Ha! Beat me to it "Boblets"

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I seem to remember some dude from like 2,000 years ago who knew that building a house upon the sand was a bad idea. Some people still haven't learned the lesson.

6. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Ocean View Drive, indeed. Wow.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I spent a lot of time living that close to the ocean beaches in my younger surfing days... and could see it wasn't the place to build/stay forever... more build up coming, more crowds and the possibility of a major event/storm on the beachfronts....

that's why I build @10 miles inland on some higher ground with a rocky patch to put the house... I figured one day the ocean will come to me out here and I can put a jetty on the front to moor the tinny..... ;)

8. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Deeve and richiek65 like this.
  9. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I've lived in seaside towns (both coasts) all my life. You don't need a lot of experience or brains to learn what happens to houses on the beach. If you can afford to lose a house, or if some insuror is so stupid as to write you a policy, then maybe you can give it a shot. For normal people, it's dumb, dumb, dumb. And if there's public access to the beach, you can count on breakins and strangers wanting to use your bathroom.

10. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

What those rusty steel spaghetti supports don't give you that warm fuzzy feeling?

richiek65 likes this.
  11. trev333

The salt air attacks everything metal and leaves a greasy feeling on everything.... tough on gardens..

windows need cleaning more often, etc.....

If I owned a beach place it would be a fibro shack, nothing fancy or expensive... :) ....

posttoastie and Shango66 like this.
  12. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I lived two blocks back from the beach in Newcastle in the late 90s. Sensational place to live but nearly everything electrical i owned was binned after about 18 months (stereo, vcr etc)

trev333 likes this.
  13. trev333

The salt spray even makes it out to my place... recently I watched some Lorikeets flying up to the window and licking the glass...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  14. Rich_S

Not too long ago, I read a fascinating book, The Geography of Risk, by Gilbert M. Gaul. It's a hard look at the history, politics, and future of water-front vacation properties in the US. Lots to think about. He starts the book at the very beginnings of the "Jersey Shore", in Beach Haven Park, NJ, literally 3 blocks from my families ancestral summer place, which my grandparents (and now, father) have owned since '60s. Gaul's book makes me wonder if it isn't time to get out while the gettin's good, though a lifetime of nostalgia and happy memories makes for a lot of intertia.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0374160805/?tag=tdpri-20

15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

16. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

This makes me think of two things.

1. I think it was around 2001 and I lived in the San Antonio area, and there were crazy floods in a nearby town - the rivers crested at something like 40 feet. Those same rivers were in canyons, so the flooding was somewhat contained. Except for the rich folks who built mansions down in the canyons... After that flood, someone in the government said they couldn't rebuild in such a obviously dangerous place and expect insurance to buy them a new house. The foundations were still there last time I was in the area.

2. I currently live in Miami, and global warming has raised water levels enough that some areas are starting to have serious issues with flooding. The bedrock is porous so there is no easy solution to the flooding. We've been renting but thinking about settling down and buying because we love it here, but I'm starting to think we need to go someplace higher.

jrbab, RomanS, dogmeat and 1 other person like this.
  17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

In California people will rebuild in the same place after their homes slide away down the hill. Isn't one definition of insanity doing the same thing and expecting different results?

18. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

great view though....

'specially when the wall falls down

and so fresh!

19. Rich_S

DougM: It depends... Is the rebuilding subsidized by inexpensive, Federally-backed insurance, wherein the cost to the homeowner in no way reflects the risk of building high-dollar real estate in hazard-prone locations?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.