Let the fun begin!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Dec 12, 2019.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It took me a couple of weeks, but I finally ran down to our local music store and bought a Shure microphone and cord, and a suitable mic stand to use with my new Boss 60 watt amp that has a separate vocal channel with several harmony features, as well as a looper...
    IMG_20191211_131640745.jpg

After messing around with it yesterday and today, I think this setup is a hoot and it works very well, even has me thinking about, after a LOT of practice, seeing if I can get some informal coffee house gigs later this winter.

I'm relearning some of my favorite old songs with the harmonizer used on the chorus parts and it adds a while different dimension to the music, stuff like 'Stewball', 'Paradise', and 'Plastic Jesus' are really fun to do with this setup and my Gretsch resonator (fingerstyle, not slide).
    IMG_20180508_094023567~2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Macrogats, Nubs, aging_rocker and 4 others like this.
  2. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Wow!!

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Built in looper? Geez, I guess I have not been paying attention. Looks like a great set-up. I'm going to check out that Boss amp. Good luck and enjoy the new gear.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!

5. Shayo

Shayo TDPRI Member

I was curious about this amp (Acoustic singer pro??) after seeing the demo for it at reverb.com. At the demo the harmonizer sounds great and it made me wonder if it's possible to get only the harmonizer section in a pedal of some sort so I'll be able to use it with my acoustic amp..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. John Backlund

I've been watching these versatile little(?) amps since they came out a few years ago, but just never 'pulled the trigger' for one, probably because when it comes to amplifiers, I'm something of a cheap-ass and have a hard time buying them, and at $500 for this model, I held off for a long time. For not a terribly lot more money, Boss also has a 100 watt version of it, but I can't justify that kind of output for anything I might do with it.

The looper is only forty seconds, but I suppose that's plenty for my purposes too. It loops voice and/or guitar. It comes with a footswitch for the looper and vocal harmonies, but it seems like a pretty flimsy, plastic-y item. It also has a phase effect, delay, and reverb.

It's odd to play back your own voice if you've never heard it before like this, but it doesn't lie, and I seem to be able to stay in key, at least when I choose songs that suit my range.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Obsessed likes this.
  7. John Backlund

Yes, Acoustic Singer Pro.

I can't believe that this unit is the only vocal harmonizer out there, probably just one of the few, or only, amps that integrate this feature internally, but I would think that there must be pedals that do this too.

The vocal harmonizer has three choices, the first is with a higher harmony voice, which so far, seems to give me the best results. The middle position is a straight second voice, like you and your twin brother singing the same thing. The third position is a lower harmonizing voice.

There is also a rotating knob that adjusts the intensity of the harmonizing voice volume against your own.

Shayo likes this.
  8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

They do make the harmonizer separately in a pedal. I know someone who has it. There are also ones from TC Electronics, Digitech, and EHX

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Shayo likes this.
  9. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Neato set up, bet you croon like an 'ol tomcat.

Been awhile since I saw an RP-50 plugged in. I used it most as a drum machine, just for farting around riffing over different rhythms, fun!

10. John Backlund

I have two RP-50's, both pawn shop discoveries from years ago, I use one of them all the time with my electrics.

11. Shayo

Shayo TDPRI Member

Very interesting... Can you please provide specific models? Which one of these is the closest to the one found in the Boss ASP?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12. John Backlund

Oh crap! Now I want one of these...
    Screenshot_20191214-140118~2.png

Can a bow tie and suspenders on high-waisted baggy pants be far down the road?

BB likes this.
  13. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

That’s a very cool set up John. Love your guitar!

I think you should provide us all with a demo clip!? :rolleyes:

14. John Backlund

I don't know, for one, I'm a semi-talented introvert who tends to gravitate to 'downer' songs that may depress listeners, even if performed reasonably well....at times.

A small sampling of things I'm working on that likely would become my 'set list' would be cheery things like these...

The Long Black Veil (death by stabbing)
    Stewball (destructive gambling addiction)
    Paradise (destroyed town)
    Will The Circle Be Unbroken (death of mother)
    Five Hundred Miles (destroyed dreams, debilitating poverty)
    One Too Many Mornings
    You Are My Sunshine (lost love)
    Oh My Darling Clementine (death by drowning)
    Mull of Kintyre

On the instrumental side of things would be slow, over-effected, old favorites such as..

The Tennessee Waltz
    Your Cheating Heart
    Over The Rainbow
    Ashoken Farewell

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yeah tc helicon has a pedal. I've used mine on a couple of performances. It'll definitely show ya if yer pitch is off!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.