Let me declare my love for the album which changed my life.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, May 9, 2019.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yah.. I was 19 when O'delay came out.. I definitely bought it pretty soon after it came out and I spun the living daylights out of it for at least a year. Anyone with serious taste in my age range seems to love Beck.

LOL about no one over 50 wants to hear this from your cover band. Playing covers for the over 50 crowd doesn't sound real fun, and I'm almost 42.

Beck is definitely amazing.. I for one will listen to Beck any day instead of Jeff Beck. Jeff Beck is an amazing guitarist but he is not an amazing composer/songwriter AFAICT, too easy to get lost listening to him go on and on.

middy likes this.
  2. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

The first of several . . . SmashHits.jpg

Elmore, Rowdyman and t guitar floyd like this.
  3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    Did you know that Rancid when they did the cover for their album "And out come the wolves" not only paid tribute to Minor threat by having a similar cover but the guy in the picture is Alec MacKaye, Ian MacKaye's brother?

Cantbreak100guy and Throttleneck like this.
  4. beninma

Also this for anyone who can't get O'Delay:

5. Heathfinn

Heathfinn Tele-Meister

There are lots of critically acclaimed albums that some people just won't get or like. ;)

t guitar floyd likes this.
  6. beninma

For sure but it's easier for me to understand that sentiment from a 60 year old than a 22 year old.. so much of what Beck did that a 60 year old will have a problem with has become totally accepted in today's music.

7. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Rowdyman and t guitar floyd like this.
  8. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

The albums that affected my life have always had (to my ears and taste, anyway) strong vocals, guitar playing and melodic content. Little Richard, Chuck, Elvis, Beatles, (and many other Brit Invasion groups like, Hollies, Animals, Kinks, Yardbirds, etc.) Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Dylan, Clapton, Hendrix, Jackson Browne, Eagles, Zep, Pink Floyd, Costello, Springsteen, Dire Straits, Stray Cats, Cooder, John Hyatt, Dwight Yoakam, etc. etc. etc. Some of you may argue a lack of strong guitar from Springsteen and Costello, but I wasn't hearing really much of any guitar or melodies in the Beck material that has been provided. Someone else mentioned YMMV and I must agree. :)

9. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I still remember hearing House of the Rising Sun on the am radio in my dad's car when I was about 8. I had little interest in music until then.. At that point I started listening to all the 50s and 60s rock I could find. This would've been in the late eighties.

Zeppelin I turned my head too, as did Wish You Were Here, but I never would've gotten to them without hearing that one song first. Fell in love with the Beatles shortly afterwards, too.

10. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I had always associated Grand Funk with two of their big radio hits, "We're An American Band" and "I'm Your Captain," which I thought were okay but kind of bland. When I finally got around to listening to their self-titled album (the red album) in 2008 it changed the way I thought about them big time! The intro to "Got This Thing on the Move" just rips.

scrimmer likes this.
  11. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

The album “Young Brigham” by Ramblin’ Jack Eliot transports me to a different time and place of train songs and horseback riding and fishing holes, pretty far away from my daily life. Bob Dylan’s “John Wesley Harding” is good for mental escapism too.

Random1643 and t guitar floyd like this.
  12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Can't say any one album changed my life. Plenty of music became distinctive markers of an era - and I have lived through a few.

I did get a copy of Beck's Odelay just to see what the fuss was about. I was amazed at the creativity and the natural flow of the work. Looking back at it, it seems like a collection of sketches, almost, but that's probably not accurate, just an impression from memory. In a way, kind of evanescent - not meant to be a pun - but for all the momentous critical acclaim at the time, I wonder how well does it hold up?

I thought at times, his lyrics are brilliant and clever, but again, temporal maybe. Does anyone quote his lyrics for cultural reference? Just a question...

based on comments I've read so far, it does make me want to check out sea change.

Rock on, @Blazer ! You make me laugh, in a good way.

scrimmer likes this.
  13. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I would say that a music forum is in trouble when someone is talking about an artist popular in the '90s, and the majority of people are so stuck in the past that they think he's talking about someone popular in the '70s.

scrimmer likes this.
  14. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

I was 12 when I bought this record, but it made me want a guitar, and thus lead me to financial ruin. Thanks, Frampton.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  15. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

I'll always dig Odelay. It really takes me back.
    I still remember the first time I heard Beck at a party (Loser had just come out).
    I thought "what the hell is this?" and "where can I get it?"

16. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Why would you want to go to a bar with more than 50 people?

I would imagine the bars with 10-12 people don't pay enough to lug your gear there?

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

A friend's older brother had a stack of LPs representing the best of the British Invasion and more. I would borrow a few records at a time, until I had listened to everything, from Alice's Restaurant to Are You Experienced, plus the greatest hits of Kinks, Stones, Hollies, Animals, etc.

18. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I read that as "over 50" people....like....people older than 50.

19. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

Gentlemen, I give you:

relayer.jpg

20. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

Dream Theater
    Images and words
    This inspired me to study music professionally

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.