Let It Bleed

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by AngelStrummer, Aug 7, 2019.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

This is where the music of the 1970s begins.

RodeoTex likes this.
  2. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Here's the actual Maton Keith used on Gimme Shelter, and advert of the Triumph Silicon 100 amp...its Solid State. Blasphemer!
    b9f4b8f2b15ef7d41228581f32caf0a7-1200-80.jpg
    th.jpg 6F6A4CFB-EDE2-4AC9-BEDB-0EDC4F588C7A.jpeg 84186329-1D52-456C-BF8F-A24C9986786C.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    joealso, dkmw and RodeoTex like this.
  3. Howdog

Howdog TDPRI Member

Monkey Man has been an earworm for the last few weeks. Stones at their peak, and the intro piano work by Nickie Hopkins really sets the tone for the song. Hopkins is one of the studio musicians that always seemed to add an extra dimension to the songs he played on.

Bassman8, stevemc, Slip Kid and 2 others like this.
  4. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

According to Wikipedia, Gimme Shelter was recorded in Feb-Mar 1969, Country Honk in Mar of 1969, and the electric Honky Tonk Women version was recorded later that spring. But it is Wikipedia and I didn't check their source.

I read somewhere that Gimme Shelter was in open E (I don't remember the article), so I tried it that way, and it suddenly made it easier, especially that chord lick in the verses.

raysachs likes this.
  5. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I was a huge Stones fan as a kid. Jumpin' Jack Flash was the song that started my serious interest in playing guitar, though I never could understand why I couldn't sound like the original, so I had to settle for learning it like the Ya-Ya's version.

That period up through Exile On Main Street was their peak IMO. Many attribute it to the addition of Taylor, but I honestly think they just peaked as songwriters at that point. Ron Wood is, no doubt, a fine musician, but I think he just came a little too late.

Let It Bleed is probably still my favorite, followed closely by the next two albums. Beggar's Banquet was very good too, but for some reason I never listened to it as much. I listened to it tonight after reading this thread (minus the overplayed Sympathy...). I had forgotten how good some of those tracks were.

raysachs likes this.
  6. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Let it bleed, first keith's solo album?

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It's their best album, IMO, though Beggar's Banquet is right on its heels.

Along with Beggar's, it's one of the "all Keith" albums – their two best, IMO. Brian Jones played at most a handful of tracks on each, almost none of which were on a guitar.

To my sensibilities, they peaked at Let It Bleed, or perhaps I would say that Beggar's and Let It Bleed form a plateau at the top of their career. Sticky Fingers is great, but not quite at the same level of masterpiece that the previous two studio albums were. And Exile is just a bunch of wasted potential to me. It had at least a full album's worth of very good songs, but it was produced like garbage, and too damned long (though it improved dramatically when remastered well in the CD era). As much as I love Mick Taylor for his brilliance on Sticky Fingers, and as much as I idolized him for years in my younger days, I have to admit to myself that the Stones really didn't turn out that much great studio output with him in the band. Not like the Brian Jones years, when every – single – album was mind blowingly great to me (even the ones they hated, like Between the Buttons and T.S.M.R.). With Brian, they were a very inventive band with a fairly wide musical range. After Brian, and one great album after him, they pretty much just became the world's greatest bar band. Mind you, that's not a horrible thing...but it just isn't comparable to the brilliance of their earlier work.

No. Beggar's Banquet was nearly just as much "all Keith." And it's pretty much just as good as Let It Bleed, IMO.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  8. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Actually he used a Maton for Gimme Shelter, and a solid state amp that had a tremolo he liked, reference the RollingvStones Gear book. The pickup in the Maton fell out of the guitar according to Keith right at the end. There’s pics of the guitar and a ad for the amp in the book.

Sorry I had only read where you said he played an Epiphone on Gimme Shelter.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Jumping Jack Flash was also open D or E but he plays it in open G live . He’s always switching things around. Just like his rhythm pickup is back to the right way after originally being that way then for a while it was turned around and now back to how it belongs. Watch out all you Micawber builders as to just what year of destroyed you’re copying.

AngelStrummer likes this.
  10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

11. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I agree that Taylor added something but Mick and Keith were honing their craft all along and Taylor just arrived at their peak. If you remove Taylor from sticky fingers and exile they would still be great albums. Keith might not be a virtuoso lead player but he’s an awesome song crafter.All you have to do is listen to the perfection of songs on Beggars banquet and Let it Bleed. Beggars was mostly Keith and Let it Bleed was all Keith ,Taylor only played on Live With Me and Country Honk. And he added the country fills on Honky Tonk Women.
    People also think it’s Taylor playing the solos on wild horses, that’s KEITH. For my money I’ll take Keith’s playing over all the other guitarists out there. It just hits my soul the right way. And I love tons of players, but Keith is the one that makes me love guitar so much.

Slip Kid, sonicsmitty and duzie like this.
  12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

My only complaint with the Jones era Stones is they sounded to Elizabethan for my tastes, I definitely prefer the worlds greatest bar band sound. Ragged raw and in your face. I’ll take the down and dirty Stones all day and twice on Sunday. Also I know most people rave about MT and his soloing which is quite melodic, I don’t particularly consider the Stones as a melodic band, I love the crash and burn stuff. Also I love how Keith solos are usually short and to the point ,and raw and funky.

sonicsmitty, bumnote and teletimetx like this.
  13. David Barnett

I am strongly partisan toward "Let it Bleed", but I can't consider any Rolling Stones album that doesn't contain "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" to be their absolute peak.

14. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

“Let It Bleed” Is my favorite Stones album. I just spent a week or so with it it my car going work recently and was noting how solid that album is. I especially love their cover of “Love in Vain”, “You Got the Silver”, “Monkey Man” and my all time favorite “Live with Me”, which a band I was in years ago used to cover. I loved playing that song!

15. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Well, the album was recorded over almost a year. November 1968, then Feb-July 1969, and then Oct-Nov 1969.
    Ned Kelly started filming in July 12 1969 and took 10 weeks. Meaning it ended around the end of Sept. 1969.
    If you compare the dates, it would appear they scheduled the recoding dates around Mick's availability.

That's great that you like Keith's vocals. I find them hard to listen to myself.

Brian Jones started the Rolling Stones. It was his band. He introduced the members to all the great American blues music that he had discovered, especially the Chess Records era.
    They covered a lot of that Chicago Music on their first albums.
    Jagger and Richards had a competition going with The Beatles. One-upmanship. So, a lot of their early pop hits like Lady Jane, etc were their attempts on writing "serious music" like Yesterday by The Beatles.
    Jones got so frustrated by the direction change and his loss of leadership, he started acting irrationally, getting stoned all the time, drunk, and no longer contributed to their songs. The first Stones albums had lots of Brian Jones guitar work on them. It's easy to tell the difference. Keith just sounded like a Chuck Berry clone in those days.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    TeleFunk Man likes this.
  16. David Barnett

Since Triumph Electronics were one of the suppliers who built Vox amp chassis on contract, is the Triumph amp based on the Vox SS amp circuits?

17. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Yeah but mick and Keith reunited on a train where Jagger had a bunch of LPs from chess records so Brian didn’t really introduce them to the blues. And from all accounts Brian was a jerk. Even Charlie has said he wasn’t a nice person !

18. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I've been collecting all the Stones material on SACD/DSD, including the ABKCO 2002 releases and the Japanese SHM-SACDs. Finally found the long out-of-print Black and Blue (one my favs from 70s era), it wasn't cheap. These are the best audio format / quality available of these recordings - sourced from original master tapes. When listening to these you'd swear you're in the room with the band, Sticky, LIB all sound amazing.

IMG_3469.jpg

Also bought the ABKCO in Mono (Japanese boxset edition). These are wonderful, everything from the packaging to the CD/SACD layer audio quality (highly recommend if you're a serious Stones collector).

19. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Brian Jones was a true multi-instrumental musician - one of the first electric slide players in the UK. He was listening to Elmore James and coping licks long before other young players in the UK.

20. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

I view comments about famous people with skepticism, especially when coming from ex's. "He's/she's a __________(insert nasty remark)".
    I've heard the same comments made about all the other Stones and about all of the Beatles and on and on....
    What I do know is I like the way Brian played guitar and what he added to The Stones. And the direction he led them in the beginning.
    That's what matters to me.
    I don't care what sort of a know it all/done it all/ain't I cool kind of guy Keith Richards is.
    Which is what I've read and heard many times. Who cares? He wrote some great songs.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    AngelStrummer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.