Let’s talk Reverb!

middy

Friend of Leo's
what is reverb, anyway? a bunch of randomized delays of varied lengths?
Most of them are. Some of them, like the UA Golden are studio quality simulations of spring and plate units.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
keeleycaverns.jpg

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Eddie Van Halen’s tone sounds slushy to you?

I play clean finger style accompaniment to my singing. I want to hear each note of a chord. I want to preserve attack and have high frequencies decay a little more slowly so the timbre of the unwound strings more closely matches the timbre of the wound strings. I’m not criticizing what anyone else does but precisely controlled delay works better for me than reverb. And yes, Van Halen’s tone sounds slushy to me, and distorted, but it’s his tone, not something I’d ever emulate.

middy

Friend of Leo's
I play clean finger style accompaniment to my singing. I want to hear each note of a chord. I want to preserve attack and have high frequencies decay a little more slowly so the timbre of the unwound strings more closely matches the timbre of the wound strings. I’m not criticizing what anyone else does but precisely controlled delay works better for me than reverb. And yes, Van Halen’s tone sounds slushy to me, and distorted, but it’s his tone, not something I’d ever emulate.
Some plate reverb doesn’t interfere with any of that. It’s on practically every studio recording since the late 50s. But you do you, it just seems like you have to make this point about your preferences anytime someone asks about reverb.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Some plate reverb doesn’t interfere with any of that. It’s on practically every studio recording since the late 50s. But you do you, it just seems like you have to make this point about your preferences anytime someone asks about reverb.
@middy , you bring up a valid point. I do me. I’ve never tried to copy anybody else’s sound. But I have been influenced by folks here who’ve had an unconventional take on things. Before I retired, I was pretty unconventional as an engineer. That’s just me. I don’t think outside the box. The box isn’t even there.

That said, I don’t think I’m right for anyone else but me. But I don’t voice an opinion that I don’t believe deserves consideration. A forum us a place for the free exchange of ideas, at least until they cross a line.

And regarding reverb. I used it back in high school playing surf. Splash was good and the tone needed to play it didn’t require much articulation. There’s not much articulation in a crashing wave. Voice through reverb seemed to be the universal crutch for high schoolers who couldn’t hold pitch. And I used it as an always on effect until I found how much better digital delay was at meeting MY needs.

I still think I make valid points. Post a rebuttal if you disagree. I won’t take it personally. Everyone benefits from a free and open exchange of ideas.

middy

Friend of Leo's
@middy , you bring up a valid point. I do me. I’ve never tried to copy anybody else’s sound. But I have been influenced by folks here who’ve had an unconventional take on things. Before I retired, I was pretty unconventional as an engineer. That’s just me. I don’t think outside the box. The box isn’t even there.

That said, I don’t think I’m right for anyone else but me. But I don’t voice an opinion that I don’t believe deserves consideration. A forum us a place for the free exchange of ideas, at least until they cross a line.

And regarding reverb. I used it back in high school playing surf. Splash was good and the tone needed to play it didn’t require much articulation. There’s not much articulation in a crashing wave. Voice through reverb seemed to be the universal crutch for high schoolers who couldn’t hold pitch. And I used it as an always on effect until I found how much better digital delay was at meeting MY needs.

I still think I make valid points. Post a rebuttal if you disagree. I won’t take it personally. Everyone benefits from a free and open exchange of ideas.
That's spring reverb, it's a gimmick, it's not even the same thing.

There's plenty of plate on everything in this track , for example, and it couldn't be more clear.

middy

Friend of Leo's
I use just delay sometimes, too. I just disagree that some hall or plate makes a track slushy or unclear.

If that’s the case for you, then you should only play in small, carpeted rooms and avoid large concert halls at all costs.

Last edited:

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
And yes, Van Halen’s tone sounds slushy to me, and distorted, but it’s his tone, not something I’d ever emulate.
Slushy and distorted are not terms I would associate with EVH, but I understand why you might say that if your gig is clean finger picking. EVH is overdriven and has some delay on it, which are different animals than reverb and distortion. It might be easier to hear if you were to listen to some of those tracks where Eddie's guitar is solo and isolated from any sweetening the studio may have added. Truth is Eddie had a real gift for accuracy and steely precision.

middy

Friend of Leo's
Slushy and distorted are not terms I would associate with EVH, but I understand why you might say that if your gig is clean finger picking. EVH is overdriven and has some delay on it, which are different animals than reverb and distortion. It might be easier to hear if you were to listen to some of those tracks where Eddie's guitar is solo and isolated from any sweetening the studio may have added. Truth is Eddie had a real gift for accuracy and steely precision.
Eddie always added plenty of plate reverb in the studio.

Last edited:

bobbythegoose

TDPRI Member
My small amp has reverb on it and it’s fairly decent. However, I would like to be able to switch from some reverb to none through a pedal. Opinions on some pedal options.
I have both the RV-6 and a Keeley Omni Reverb. Both are great. IMHO, you cant go wrong with either option, but if you want more simple reverb, the Keeley Omni is a no brainer. It has room, spring, and plate. All sound great, but especially the plate.

kuch

Tele-Meister
A couple of months ago I was looking for a reverb pedal to use with my 70's Vibro champ and asked the forum here for suggestions. This is what I got: Catalinbread Topanga Burnside

I also already had a Keeley 30 ms Double Tracker/Slapback/Delay pedal that works great too.

Catalinbread Topanga.jpg

1652478730929.png

Good luck in your search, I'm sure you'll get a lot of input/suggestions

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
I use a Boss RV-6 and a Biyang Tri Reverb. Both are fine but of course the RV-6 has more option stuff
and slightly more refined. The Tri-Reverb is very good on it's own though and costs about 1/2 or less than
the RV-6.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
The USPS just brought this from Reverb ;)

h21bjl5mhv2ilftv15kp.jpg

So far I am loving the tones coming out of it 🥰