Let’s talk power supplies

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mr Gunny, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

So up until recently I didn’t own many pedals, just relied on a multi fx unit for most things. Lately it just hasn’t been cutting it for me anymore and I’ve started buying individual pedals. Now I’m running into power supply issues, I only have a couple of outlets in the room I play in and can’t supply power to everything.

I started looking into power supplies and I’m kind of lost as to the best way to go. I’m looking into building a pedal board that will eventually hold 5-7 pedals. What would be a good power solution for this? I’d like to do it relatively cheap (under $100), any recommendations?

2. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

A lot depends on the requirements of the pedals you are going to use. Some require different voltages. I have a Pedal Power 2 unit that delivers a few different voltages and has some crossover cables I can use if the polarity of a particular pedal's connector is reversed. Charting out what your current collection of pedals will need is where to start.

With that many pedals you may not be able to get to that under $100 figure, unless you buy something used.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got one of thse rechargeable deals
    [​IMG]

I've not used it live yet, but it seems cool and was inexpensive. I really like the idea of no worrying about running a power cord to my pedalboard

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I have a large board with a Pedal Power 2 plus and a Nano board with a Cioks DC5. Both do the job. As they should as these are expensive power supplies.

I'm making another board and wondering if something like this Otraki on Amazon would suffice. Currently only $30.99, this thing includes ports at 18v, 12v, a 9v 500ma, and then 7 other 9v 100ma ports. "If it seems to good to be true"...?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F69KR6K/?tag=tdpri-20

5. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I do eventually want to upgrade to a Pedal Power or other isolated source, but I've been using a 1Spot with a daisy chain for years and I've never had an issue or a problem.

6. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Let's stop talking about power supplies. The answer is simple. Unless you have something that has some really weird power requirements, just buy a Power Pedal 2+ and be done with it.

Up to about 4 pedals, a 1 Spot is just fine unless a digital pedal causes noise problems. Once you get to about five pedals, ground loops become a problem and a PP2+ fixes it, just like that. It's power, it needs to be clean, reliable, and worry-free. Just bite the bullet, do it right, and move on. Guitars, amps, effects, and chops are a way better use of your time.

Note: I'm not plugging the PP2+ specifically. There are plenty of similar units. Just make sure you meet the specs: plenty of ISOLATED outputs, at least a couple high-current (>150 mA) outputs, and built to pro standards. Yes, it's worth paying for.

Churchjack likes this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Very good advice here: planning things ahead is important, and upsize a bit from your current need (pun intended) in the case you want to add a couple more pedals.
    IME all power supplies with isolated outputs are not created equal: some are better isolated than others.
    I’ve come to think the GigRig power supply solution is great because it’s very modular and can evolve with your pedalboard. It’s not the cheapest, but it can end up being cheaper than having to buy a new power supply in a couple of years.
    If I had to start again this whole journey from the beginning, I would go for it.

8. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Just bought a Voodoo 4 pedal supply and like it. I don't use but two pedals currently but could throw the wah pedal on there if I wanted.

Sounds like they might be a bit pricier than other brands, though, especially if you need more than four or something other than 9volt.

But, it works like a champ.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

For over twenty years I've used an MW 2 Amp regulated power supply. It has never failed me, and I can rely that it always delivers the correct voltage to my pedals.
    Here's my (more or less) current pedal board.....the power supply is upper left. red grote 126.JPG

10. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input, looking into the PP2+. Might try to pick one up used to keep cost down.

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Voodoo Power Plus on both my boards. They are great.

12. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I just went with the Power Pedal 4x4 as I'd rather have high voltage for Strymon pedals than a SAG option...

The 12vb 400mA also powers a PP X4 so it simply expanded my rig instead of replacing. Can't do that with the 2+

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've been using a VL Pedal Power ISO 5 on the main board for years now, and never have to worry about whatever combo of pedals I use on the board. If you really only intend to use 5 pedals, this might be an option to consider.

I use a One Spot with my little shortboard, but it only ever has 5 pedals max, and they're just basic stuff - delay, 'verb, OD, fuzz, and tuner, so it's rare I have any issues WRT noise or whatever. IOW, there's never going to be some kinda specialized digital pedal on it, or something with a charge pump.

...Actually, I did run into an issue of audible ticking on the shortboard, when I added one of those mini trem pedals. But since trem isn't a must-have on the shortboard, it's not a problem, and the One Spot remains.

14. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I daisy chain off of a generic 9VDC wall wort with no issues, but as others mention, watt requirements and different voltage requirements may require a special power supply. IMG_2987.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.