Let’s Talk About Pick (plectrum) Material

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 9, 2019.

1. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

I have a wood pick I never use. It is thicker than I prefer.
    V-Picks Stiletto and Gator Grip 1mm are my usual.

2. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

My picks are yellow.

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I forgot about this because I lost it.. I had some kind of Agate pick that was thin, but it was breaking the strings too much, so I guess thats why most stone picks are rounded.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

You're right about that. Cheap way to experiment with your tone. That's why I'm open to input on this.

I have issues with my fingers as well: arthritis, diabetic neuropathy, circulation issues due to heart condition, take your pick (pun intended, of course). I sometimes have trouble holding the pick in one place. So I like picks with a grip/textured upper portion. And I think my preferred gauge is 1mm, although in years past I used .88 or even .73 mm. The exception is on my Nashville-tuned guitar. The string gauge is so light on that set, I prefer a .73 nylon for that.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have one of those gizmos that punches picks out of plastic cards. I find that old Christmas gift cards have a bell-like tone, old debit cards have the crisp tone of brand new 100 dollar bills, and the ones made out of health insurance cards will work pretty good, as long as you're willing to wait on hold for 30 minutes or so.

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

The one on the left is jasper, right side is agate, & the shadow is from the spectacularly clear sky we had here on the Oregon coast today!

Bright, bright, bright sounding & loud. I once read that Jerry Garcia used a granite pick, his justification being you can't be in complete control if your pick bends. That intrigued me, so I started experimenting. Both these picks were gifted to me. I have a stainless pick as well, but rarely use it because it kind of reminds me of prepared piano. 20190510_182617.jpg

thechad likes this.
  7. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Dunlop Primetone .88- I happened on these because the large triangle version in a 1.4 is my backup pick for mandolin when I'm not carrying a Bluechip. I like the primetones because they're very consistent and the amount of flex is just right for me. You can get real crisp with them for a pick of that thickness and harmonics are easy to coax with the slender tip.

rich815 likes this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Once I tried the v-picks I rarely use anything else. The Snake is my favorite. I think. I guess some people don’t like the acrylic chirp, but I dig it and it’s somewhat controllable. The overtones from the the thick, multi-beveled ones is nothing short of amazing.
    [​IMG]

P Thought and Ducerro like this.
  9. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I've tried both, as well as a variety of other weird picks. Stone is too plinky making noises, wood isn't slippery enough.
    Tortoise shell was the best, but I lose picks like everyone else so I just use tortex now bought bulk.
    Fender plastic are fine too for me.

10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

400208CA-76EC-4742-AAEA-A0294BAD7CF8.jpeg
    V picks Screamers and Medium Round mostly. They work pretty well. I have a couple Blue Chips I use on acoustic.

Attached Files:

11. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Exotic wood picks are for a light touch and a slightly muted sound. Slippery little devils.

12. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I just ordered some of these, I hear good things ;) ....yellow pigment giving the best tone, etc.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  13. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Tried metal, glass, stone, ivory, wood ... Nothing really impressed me ... Plastic or nylon works fine for me as there is an infinite selection of size, thickness and material texture ... I'm not picky ...

14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

homemade.png

Whatever these are made of...

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I had a period where I made a bunch of picks, out of Vespel (what blue chip uses), UHMWPE, casein, tagua nut, various woods.

My conclusion in that FAR more than the material, what matters is the nature of the edge--the bevel, the degree of finish, the degree of polish, the sharpness of the point. The mass of the pick matters some, but the bevel and polish matters way more, both in terms of how it plays and hw it sounds

El Tele Lobo, P Thought and Teleterr like this.
  16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

That reminds me. Sea Shells make good picks. I find them preshaped on the beach sometimes. Calcium is softer then stone so it gives a stone-lite tone. A little too thick for me and it ll break if too thin, so shaping is dodgy, but nice tone.

17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I like to try picks, tried the Vpicks, tried them again, then another time after that.
    Meh, I don’t like the clicketyclak, or twirp sound they make.
    The red bear and blue chip are on my list, but being in Canada , I can’t find a reseller.
    Ultimately, I go back to Black Snapper 1 mm black delrin picks (because there is a dog on it) or ~1mm Primetone picks or the Brain picks, which both have a textured grip.
    But I am all for trying new ones

18. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I notice that w my heavy Nylon picks. Since they ll wear down rather than tear like standard picks, theres a time when I realize that it would sound better w a new pick.

19. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Years ago I bought a "Stone'd" pick from an ad in GP. It was a beautiful agate pick but it was not very musical. I used nylon Dunlop's for years. I currently use Graph Tech Tusq picks, they are far superior to anything I have ever tried before.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've tried all kinds of picks but I just keep coming back to Fender Heavy's, the little teardrops or regular size. They work and I can get them almost anywhere. I like the rounded triangle shaped ones for acoustic guitar or mandolin and the Clayton's of the same size for bass. I keep a couple of each with me at all times.

rebelwoclue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.