1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Let’s see those work benches / work areas!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by goldguitarguy, Mar 5, 2021.

1. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

I’m going to build a work bench soon suited for building amps & effects and wiring pickups.

I’m going to make it modular of sorts so I can add or subtract and to make it easier to move because it needs to fit down my basement stairs. The single side of my garage is my woodworking area and the double side is for parking and there’s just no room. Detached shop is future plans for now.

Couple built in features I was thinking about;

Light
    Power bar/bulb limiter
    Small tool storage
    Built in speaker and dummy load
    Shelves for bench equipment
    Something to hold wire spools while winding pickups.

Then I got thinking about what other people are using already and thought that would be a great thread.

So post those pictures of your workbench / work space or even any ideas/additions you wish you had for your bench/work area!

My current back breaking set up for amps..
    . 1DCB5C65-05EE-43F2-9409-A8DB289E6231.jpeg

Flip G, Jowes_84, oldfish and 2 others like this.
  2. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

It sounds like you are talking about a two-story work bench.

A regular bench with the addition of second story for shelving and lighting.

If there is a chance that you will in fact be moving it up and down stairs, you might make the second story so it's easily de-tachable. Much, much, easier to move :).

With some good and powerful LED lighting.

24 track likes this.
  3. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I like that rig! Nice setup for working on amp chassis.

zipseattle and 24 track like this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

guitar surgical table

P1011190.JPG

tools
    P1011193.JPG

soldering station

P1011481.JPG

work bench

P1011191.JPG

amp cradle ( 45 min build ) I gave this one to Keithb7 and built another

P1011400.JPG

Flip G, Peegoo, Commodore 64 and 3 others like this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

here was a post i did awhile ago about DIY stuff we can do to save a ton of coins and got some fantastic feedback from members
    look it over there may be some thing in there for you!

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/some-diy-home-made-tools-to-help-with-guitar-maintenance.869445/

6. SapoAmpRepair

SapoAmpRepair TDPRI Member

Here is mine. I spend way too much time here!

20200408_110712.jpg 20210305_214845.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

This thread has shamed me into cleaning up my shop area some.
    Still not fit for mass publication though.

carpenter, Piggy Stu, Flip G and 3 others like this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

My shop is a one-car garage that has just about every tool I need to do whatever job I need to do. I can build, fabricate or repair just about anything.

There's a table saw, drill press, oscillating sander, belt sander, clamps, chop saw, portaband, stick welder, MIG/TIG rig, bench grinder, scrollsaw, bench vise, two compressors and pneumatic wrenches and nailers/staplers, plate joiner, many portable power tools, paint guns, airbrush rig, floor jack and mechanic tools, woodworker's bench, several rolling workbenches, Jawhorse, plumbing and electrical tools, Foredom, and an assortment of hardware, electrical, and plumbing parts that keep me from having to hit the hardware store whenever I need a nut, bolt, or screw. Most everything is on wheels so I can configure the shop to accommodate the job at hand. There's also a nice music system to blast the rock and roll when I need the jams. Someday I'll have a forge and an anvil...

[​IMG]

9. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Lots of good inspiration here! Need to figure out a heating solution for my garage. Too hot in summer, too cold Nov-April. Will post some pics after I straighten up.

EDIT - pic of current state for baseline. Moved in 2 years ago, but have been tied up with rehabbing a couple of properties we own. Should have time by late spring to begin work in ernest.

[​IMG]

When the neighbors across the alley moved out the left this. Going to use it for my electronics bench.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  10. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20191231_152922367.jpg Despite all my rage, im just a woodworker trapped in a cage....

11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I’ve got two. But at the moment I’ve stuck them together to support my Bluetooth speaker, beer, Kindle and some grissini.

6EED0A92-6E2C-409A-8F4B-A64F73EEFB68.jpeg

Soon as I saw the title, I knew this was going to be a depressing thread. And, there appears to be no green with envy emoji. Sigh... :cry:

Pax/
    Dean

12. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

a small section of our garage.
    Workbench.jpg

Peegoo and 24 track like this.
  13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm about to build a basic joiners bench...to get myself started on the workshop. It will be a riff on a traditional Nicholson English bench...similar to this one.

upload_2021-3-6_9-54-40.png

14. Peegoo

The important thing to keep in mind when setting up a workshop is it's a very personal thing. Making a bench and putting your tools on the wall are baby steps; the real work begins when...the work begins.

No two people work the same way, and one setup will be easier to use than another scheme. You discover what works best only through use. Initial planning does help, but part of the plan should include built-in adaptability to move things around as you learn your shop habits.

You should have to adapt to the shop as little as possible; rather, adapt the shop to you. And adapting a shop is an ongoing thing even after years of use, because your work habits will continue to evolve. Making the shop work for you saves many hours over a year's time.

One of the best examinations of this concept is contained in Adam Savage's channel on YT. He's always tweaking his shop to fit his patterns of life as he works.

Here's one example.

15. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister

This is my small electronics work area in my music room/office.

100_1653 (2).JPG

I used the top from an old TV entertainment center and an old three drawer cabinet that just happened to be the same height and laid a tempered 3/8" thick glass top with polished edges that's 25"x 79" on top. (Free glass from my days in wholesale glass distribution). I just wanted to clarify, I don't smoke anything. The ashtray shown on the bottom right is a parts holder.

100_1654.JPG 100_1655.JPG

And here's the basement workroom/laundry room. I do not have a garage but whenever materials cost's go down I will be building a deep 1 car attached garage. I already had the plans and variances approved by my town but then the stupid C***D thing happened so I'm stuck for now.

Peegoo, 24 track and Engine Swap like this.
  16. goldguitarguy

I have a triple car garage but I put a petition wall up so I have a single side and a double side. Double side has a work area and some shelving but it’s mostly used for parking in the winter. Single side holds all my woodworking stuff. I store my ride on and some kids toys in there during the winter months. That’s why I’m going to set up in the basement...lol FE8D7DE7-1339-44D0-BF63-7B330A951515.jpeg 2AA2B464-8760-413C-9CBD-C87C715E749D.jpeg 7A6A1B90-7B10-44FD-B8EC-F183887B7BC8.jpeg 1AF9BE57-AB68-42E1-A11B-DCF260404584.jpeg 3C70CC04-F5CD-4001-A108-3F6D46308C25.jpeg

carpenter, Peegoo and 24 track like this.
  17. goldguitarguy

I built a neat little wood storage area. Rolls in and out for extra storage behind and makes pulling sheet goos easy. ED923A2A-38C8-437D-8D69-61CE8010A171.jpeg 2244221C-278C-4893-92FE-2219A649E141.jpeg

Peegoo and 24 track like this.
  18. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

It really isn't a good day to look at the garage,

IMG_20210306_154906.jpg

But the view isn't bad,

IMG_20210306_154945.jpg

19. goldguitarguy

I also built a downdraft table for sanding into my out feed table and it’s been a life saver on dust... 759D34D2-C7C2-4B15-837D-5DB526774A5F.jpeg

20. Peegoo

It looks like your drill press really really wants to do some work ;)

TwoBear, Patton and 24 track like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.