Let’s see those vintage amps

Tele Plucker

Tele-Meister
So I’ll start.

well mines a 1979 Mesa mk2a that makes the telecaster sound so warm and lovely and a 74 twin reverb that just sparkles with my tv Jones loaded guild starfire . View attachment 902824

I can’t believe I was going to sell the old Mesa . This was the third time buddy failed to show up so I told him “ I’m tired of waiting all it does is makes me anxious and I can’t deal with that. I also only had it for sale in order to buy the fender and I got that so I don’t need to sell it”

59’ Champ on top, 66 Twin Reverb on bottom.

7A0804F2-64CB-4290-9510-AE799C39FA0E.jpeg

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
1970-ish Sunn Solaris that I used in the mid to late '70s. I also had the matching 2x12 cabinet but don't have a picture of that. I sold both five years ago because I didn't want to bother shipping them across the country. I certainly don't need anything this big and loud anymore, but I do sometimes wish I could plug into it again.

Sunn Solaris.jpg

ampking300

Tele-Meister
Amp King, Very Impressive! What's the small black amp, looks like painted tweed, between the 2 woodies in the first set of pics #4? Want to walk us through the tweeds in that first set of shots? Are the woodies originals? Looks like an Alamo Amp-6 hiding behind them. Lastly, what are the big Polytones?
" wstrngswingster '---you have a keen eye----That amp that is, black, painted, tweed, is a 1955, model 5E6 tweed Fender Bassman with 2 5U4GB rectifier tubes that some one cut the original cab and painted it black. I will recap it and get a new cab, or,retweed this cab and have a baffle board made for 2x8" speakers-----it is located between the 1st version tweed Pro Jr. amp,( made in USA, 2003, I think ), and the next amp is a 1996 , 50th anniversary Woody Pro amp,with cover, only 50 made, ( I had 6 original ones )----next tweed amp, that is in horrendous condition, is one of the very first 4x10" narrow panel tweed Fender Bassman amps ever made, super rare model 5D6(A), I think, tube chart dated Nov. 1954, with 2 5Y3 rectifier tubes----next is a 1953 wide panel tweed Fender Bassman,with cover, retweeded/regrilled by Gregg Hopkins----next is a custom narrow panel tweed Pro cabinet with 4x8" Jensen PM8C speakers from 1946,with cover, cab made by Gregg Hopkins-----next is a 1960 , model 5F6, 4x10", original Fender Bassman cab retweeded/regrilled by Gregg Hopkins-----next is a rare 1951/2 TV front tweed Fender Bassman, model 5A6 or 5B6, that was retweeded to match the original grill cloth, by the late, great Sam Hutton,( 1962 Fender Reverb unit is on top of it )-----next is a 1957/8 narrow panel tweed Fender Pro amp, retweeded/regrilled by Gregg Hopkins-----on top of this Pro is the 1960 , model 5F6 amp chassis in a tweed head box built by Gregg Hopkins-----next to this 1960 Bassman head is a rare HPTT, model 5F8, with an 83 mercury rectifier, sitting on top of it's original 2x12" Jensen P12N speaker cab,with cover, speakers have original cones and stickers and are in MINT cond., head cab made by Gregg Hopkins,( just sold this amp to a recording engineer, my last of 6 HPTT's )------I only have 4 original fender Woody's, 3 Model 26 and 1 Princeton,( had a total of 75 Woody's, sold in 2005 ), rest of the clone cabs, I had my old friend, Sam Pickles, cut and stain all the hardwood lumber which I put together,( RIP, Sam, 2016 ), have about 50 different solid hardwood cabs-----YES, that is indeed a 1952 maple veneer Model 6 amplifier,( have to restore the amp and recone the original speaker )-----you can see one of the sides of a handmade solid mahogany cabinet that I had to have made from the original specs of the same model 12" version of my rarest amp from my over 4,000 piece collection of the last 54 years, Massie,( Ray ), 20th Century Model 15 Pro amplifier, I have only seen this one 15" model and owned 2 12" versions and have seen only 2 other 12" versions-----Polytone bass amps are a very rare 4x10" model and a 1x15"+ 2x8" model, both from the mid to late 1980's.

ampking300

Tele-Meister
For similar effect, I could lone you my 5 year old. ;)
Here's a little story-----Believe It or Not,----in about 1997/8 I took Gregg Hopkins and Bill Moore, authors of the Ampeg book, to interview Jess Oliver, who I had not seen in over 25 years at this time. Jess told us that Everett Hull had an Ampeg employee whose sole job was, and I kid you not, to spray paint all of the Ampeg grill cloths with this , I call, Squiggle/Swirl paint. I guess that this guy was a little older that 5 years, hopefully, I think,?????-----LOL.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have three: 69 drip edge Twin, 71 Super, and 77 DR.

Playing JBLs.JPG

front angle.jpg

Here are a couple, with an Allen Encore build, and a 5E5A build.

20200429_144932.jpg

front angle (1).JPG

The eyelet board on the DR had become conductive and was creating noise, so I overhauled it. New Garrolite board, cloth wiring, including the heaters (which wasn't necessary, but very pretty).

Before, and after:

chassis 2.jpg

after.JPG