1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lessons & Band Coaching (kids): suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cpb2020, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Greetings,

My 3 kids have been playing together in a band for ~2 years. The drummer (15 years old) has been taking lessons for 5-6 years on and off; the guitarist (12 years old) has been taking lessons for 5 years or so; and the bassist (11 years old) has been taking lessons for 2 years. They don't want to do this for a living, they just like spending time together and playing out in public for fun when possible. Most of what they do is in the rock category, but it is varied (Neil Young, The Chats, Pixies, Cranberries, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, etc.)

Each week they take 45 minutes of individual lessons and 1.5 hrs of band coaching together. The current band coach also gives the individual lessons to the bassist and drummer. The guitarist takes lessons from another teacher at the school. Since March, all of this has been remote/virtual through zoom (but using an audio interface for the band coaching).

There historically has been a fair bit of disruption in their teachers/lessons, as the music school draws its teachers from the local college and college students have their own lives/aspirations. They have had some consistency for the past 6 months, but the band coach routinely starts lessons 10 minutes late and ends them 5 minutes early, forgets to send the zoom links, etc. He's great, I just think he's trying to do too much and/or not very organized.

Given that they've been virtual since March and seem to be doing ok with it, we're not as tethered to instructors in a 10-15 mile radius of where we live, and I'm at least considering a change.

Any thoughts as to folks that do such a thing? Ideally it would be the same instructor for individual lessons and the band coaching, but I know that may be stretching it.

I gather that this is not the typical question that gets asked on TDPRI (and the guitarist doesn't even play a tele, she just "graduated" to an "S" type), but I figured I'd give it a shot. It is just the circumstance I found myself in when 2 years ago the oldest declared that they should start a band to raise money for dog rescue groups and I've been rolling with it.

Thanks!

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Band coach that starts late and ends early? Not great. Mebbe put an ad out on CL or sumpin?

3. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Kids these days have such an edge on learning to playing in a band . Band coach ? Unheard of in my time . You were lucky if you knew someone who would show you a few chords , had to go to watch people play to learn songs ( if you were lucky ) . Dropping the needle on an LP over and over to learn a few licks . I would go to after game dances just to study the band . What kids can learn in a couple months took us a year or more . That's what was paying your dues was in my time .

fretWalkr likes this.
  4. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

Interesting. Sounds like School of Rock format, I’m guessing your kids are attending that organization? Mine also does the same, 45 mins lesson plus band practice 2 hours. Not had any issues with session timing though. A few bumps in the road during the current situation, but they are quite good with make ups... one on one lesson reverted to in person, but mine actually likes the virtual, and it fits his timetable better.

5. Cpb2020

Yep. Except the band portion is just my 3 kids. They like the virtual too As it is less time driving back and forth, it is just that no one seems to keep on top of whether links get sent out in a timely manner or whether the instructors log on/off timely. And we like the instructor, so don’t want to cause him any issues.

6. Cpb2020

They wish that they could go see people play. Live music around here was hurting even pre-virus.

7. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Similar experience here, but all positive: My daughter's friend was taking percussion (drum kit) lessons and her teacher put a few groups together. The motivation was for the drumming students to have real groups to work with. Perhaps this is common now with percussion teachers? It's probably worth checking at the nearest music schools to see who they know in the community that is teaching... we've found a few that way over the years. (The teacher was quite talented at singing and piano, as well. She now teaches at a middle school, and isn't doing this anymore.)

8. Cpb2020

Thanks - we had a local teacher at their first school that was great, but he had a second kid and his wife went back to work, so he had to scale back. It is worth asking him if virtual lessons changes the calculus for him.

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You're not getting what you're paying for if the instructor is disorganized and cannot keep a schedule.

Get your kids started on Jamulus (virtual/real-time jamming software) and they can collaborate with other players all over the world. Playing is the best training once a musician has the basics.

https://jamulus.io

10. Cpb2020

Thanks for this - I never heard of it.

And yeah, if it was 5 minutes here or there I’d have no issue. But the kids routinely sit waiting for a zoom link for 10-15 minutes and keep asking my wife to text him to remind him.

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.