Lesson On Using A Looper

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Toast, Jul 8, 2019.

1. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

Here is another I found after I posted. I don't have this one.

https://www.fundamental-changes.com/book/guitar-looping-the-creative-guide/

Toast likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

So yesterday I was going to try going over the looping on a song I do in a duo. I wanted some rhythm in it so first I tracked 2 bars of thumping/scratching on the guitar like drums. Then I tried to overlay the chords ( the whole cycle of chords goes for like 12 bars.)

I thought that the drums/rhythm part would just back up the chords by cycling over and over behind the chord pattern. What happened though is the looper wanted to restart both tracks after the two bars of drum thump cycled again. Whaaaa? I never noticed that before. Is that operating correctly? all loop tracks have to be the same length?

Toast likes this.
  3. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

That's the way most loopers work. You can add layers, but the length of the loop is defined by the first layer. Does anyone know if any of the fancier ones will do what schmee was trying? If not, you could use two of the little mini loopers in parallel.

Toast likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, I'm amazed I haven't run into that before. Bad assumption on my part. But mostly I play rhythm then solo over it live. Seems like I've seen Ed Sheeran do percussion then go to other things not necessarily the same length, but he's got a complicated system for sure...

BTW, I once tried plugging my drum machine into my loopers, for some reason the looper didn't recognize or record a drum track.

Toast likes this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

As far as I know, my Trio Plus works that way too. My looper can do cool things, but I've really only scratched the surface with respect to its functionality.

6. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Good question. As far as I know (which isn't a lot), you should be able to add a drum track to your loop (I'm assuming that, I should say :) I'm sure you could mute your strings and play few rhythmic chucks and the looper would pick it up. What kind of looper are you using?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.