Lesson On Using A Looper

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Toast, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'm not affiliated with the teacher in the following video, but I did find his lesson helpful (kudos to Garrett for a great lesson). I'd like to see more lessons incorporating the use of a looper in them. If anybody else out there is using a looper and knows of some good guitar lessons that use looping, link to them in this thread. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I think loopers are great for practicing or working out arrangement & other ideas for original tunes. The most important thing to practice is getting the loop to not be a little too long or short. When I had my Jamman looper it helped to turn up the rhythm track for the first loop, although I wasn't fond of having only tap tempo to set it.

The undo button is also a good one to get to know. Now I am using a 4 track looper on the iPad (Quantiloop), which is almost too difficult for my aging brain to keep up with, but the idea of having 4 independent tracks at different lengths was pretty hard to resist.

Toast likes this.
  3. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'm still getting my feet wet with my looper. I use the undo function a lot. The difficult thing for me is to plan my loop before I record it. I haven't even gotten to planning out parts and fitting them into a whole song. I'm at the stage where I record a I IV V progression and then start playing my scale forms over it. I want to start figuring out how to arrange loops into a whole song. I'm still slow poking my way around my looping technology. Any tips from veteran loopers would be helpful, thanks.

4. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

The best how-to guide for the Trio Plus (for any other Trio Plus users out there) that I found was this guy's demo. He covers most of the basic functionality.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I think the biggest challenge for looping (once you understand where to start exactly on each particular song!) is getting to where you can do separate parts in one song. Otherwise loopers just limit you to the same chord changes over and over and over ... No chorus, no bridge, no intro...

Toast likes this.
  6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I use the looper primarily to capture ideas spontaneously. Some ideas never get beyond that stage and some might graduate to the DAW. But I have no concept whatsoever of using one live.

Toast likes this.
  7. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

I have a Boss RC20. I have not become skilled enough to use it on stage, but I find it very useful for practice and general noodling around. It's not that easy to find someone to play I IV V, or ii V I, or whatever.

Toast likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Justin Guitar and Marty Music both do a good looper demo.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=looper+pedal

Ammoon/Kokko SOS FLP mini clone of a Ditto runs around $25-$30. Rather than getting a two button high end looper, get two of these and stack them.

From there watch techniques

RevBillyG, Toast and Bergy like this.
  9. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Yeah, that's why I'm going down the lesson path. It's too much work for me to plan out all the parts. I just want to practice putting parts together and getting some ideas on the kinds of things you can use for a part. Like in the lesson above, I wouldn't have thought about adding an arpeggio without the teacher leading me by the nose. I think he's a good teacher because he obviously uses a looper.

schmee likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been looping for over ten years now, but I had a mentor that gigged weekly with a looper maybe 15 years ago. The versatility of looping today is awesome. The sky's the limit depending on which looper you get. Short loops, long loops, full song loops, practice backing track loops, gigging loops. There are some very creative people looping out there and you can watch some of them in Looping competitions on YT.

Perhaps even some of us have more than one looper.:cool:

Toast likes this.
  11. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Yeah, I use it as a little musical journal.

12. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

It's not that easy to find a band, but with technology these days that's less a factor.

13. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Great Links! Thanks.

14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Joe Gore is amazing using a looper setup for live performances...

stinkey, Toast and Digital Larry like this.
  15. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Great video! I can definitely see myself learning from it once I have more experience. Right now it's a way beyond my rig. I don't even have a DAW yet, but I got plans :)

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yeah I love how he uses the pickup selector switch clicks to create a cool rhythm track.
    I'm pretty sure he has more tutorial-type videos that explain his rig more.

Toast likes this.
  17. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

A basic looper lesson. What is a looper? How do you use a looper . . . etc. The lesson does have a little plug for Marty's looper pedal, but I'm okay with that.

stinkey likes this.
  18. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

Toast and stinkey like this.
  19. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I wasn't aware of these products, but I'm definitely going to check them out. Thanks for cluing me in. Full Disclosure: I'm not affiliated with these products. I'm just a looper as practice/learning tool fan. I'm glad I started this thread :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  20. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

This looks cool too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.