1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Leslie speaker, opinions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jerry_Mountains, Aug 15, 2019.

1. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

To paraphrase the late Roy Scheider:
    "You're gonna need a bigger pedalboard".

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

SRV used a Fender Vibratone

Rotating dealio in front of a speaker, like ton of home old lady organs had

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a 147, the holy grail tube version.
    Weighs a ton, never gets used, took some life out of my back that I'll never get back.

There are rotating speaker cabs built for guitar players that are movable and take a guitar amp input rather than having a built in amp.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Jerry_Mountains and studio like this.
  4. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. For organ it was the go to sound for effect.

But guitar players are amiss with that extra high end rotating everywhere.

To get nostalgic for a minute,my favorite was The Orbit.

5. speranza

speranza TDPRI Member

Strymon Lex sounds incredible to my ears, for the same price (and it's slightly smaller)

nojazzhere and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  6. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I bet I could bolt a backpack frame on one for a busking rig. Like Lonnie Mack And The Pack Attack.

Matt G likes this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Imagine moving that and an unchopped B3 up three flights of exterior steel stairs to load in to an upstairs auditorium... ahh, the romantic life of a roadie, back in the 70's!

studio, fnkmstr, suthol and 2 others like this.
  8. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

No thank you.

Had keyboard player who lugged around a Hammond T 395.

All in one Organ and Leslie!

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Two things. First, I can't tell from the photos, but does the foot controller also have inputs for 1/4"? If not, you will have to build or buy a converter interface to mate to the 9 pin interface (or did these have the 11 pin?). Not a trivial requirement.

Second, this is a solid state version, not the tube version. That may be ok, but it makes it less desirable to the organ folks who are the main consumers, so be warry of resale value as a result.

Third, the Leslie effect is legendary - there is supposedly no simulator that can do what a Leslie does. By "spraying" the sound around a room, there is a combination of phase and amplitudes that can only be produced by spinning sources like a leslies two spinning speakers/horn. THAT SAID, I was on a quest and acquired one, used it a couple times to experience the experience. In my opinion, its a little overrated. I decided a good quality emulator with a *stereo* setup was close enough (or equivalent in a band setting) and a heckuva lot less trouble to drag around, and hook up. And that's with a keyboard/organ. For guitar, I'd never drag something bigger than a stereo pedal direct to the board.

So, unless you are into reenactment with vintage gear for the sake of being vintage, or you have excess space, excess time, and excess interest, I'd pass.

10. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

11. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

At one time we hauled around a Hammond B3 and 2, count'em 2, 147 Leslie cabinets, That was the first band I played in and that was a real long time ago. Damn, the things you do when you're young and dumb and have ambitions of being rock stars.

nojazzhere and Paul G. like this.
  12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I have a pair of rotary speakers, a modern Leslie and a Motion Sound Sidewinder. They both have 12AX7 tube guitar preamps and solid state power amps. The Leslie is dual-rotor and the MS is single. The time for honesty is upon us... I don't really dig the distorted sounds of either unit so I've bodged together my own perfect application. I run both units clean and feed them the output of a modeler. Voile'! Instant perfect tube distortion sound a la Joe Walsh. A Deluxe Reverb model is perfect.

Nothing, nothing, beats the experience of a real rotary speaker. Turn on the lava lamp, dim the lights, it is astounding, milky, and wonderful.

If I ever become larger than life and sprout my own roadies I'll cart the Leslie around. But with me at 62 years old and it at 100 lbs., it is parked in my home studio. The Motion Sound is a svelte 40 lb. combo machine. I use it as half of my kit with the modeler.

Your option at $300 is the cheapest ticket into Leslieworld. Be honest with yourself: Have you always wanted to know what real Leslie is like? Just want the experience? This is the cheapest way you'll get into it. I spent that for my Motion Sound ten years ago and had to do a little repair work at home to make it reliable. Do you want to cart that monster around? Probably not. If you've got the wall space it will yield an experience you can't get with any pedal. But don't burden yourself with the justification that you want to gig the thing unless you are willing to deal with 150 lbs..

Mine, the two upper ones on the left:
    [​IMG]

All the best,

Bob

13. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

SRV used a Fender Vibrotone (which is the same as a Leslie 16). It has a 10" speaker fixed to a baffleboard with a rotating styrofoam doojigger. It throws the sound out of the sides and top, so not exactly like a Leslie as there is less Doppler effect. Designed for guitar, it does not have the problem of sounding Hi-fi or harsh. When switched on it just takes the mids, leaving the highs and lows to come out of the main amp.

They're ok, and if used by a thoughtful guitarist sound fine, but many simulations nowadays beat it for richness.

uriah1 likes this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Baldwin Leslie unit that came to me without the amp. The cabinet is smaller than the wooden Hammond units and more lightly built. It weighs chassis considerably less than 100 pounds. Wonderful cab.

That is a rough looking unit you are considering; but if it and the preamp pedal work and you are curious, that is not a bad number. You can always offer less, right?

15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Leslies sound great in the studio, but are difficult to get the same sound with a live band, because they don't sound the same when mic'd into a PA system. They're also a PIA to move. For $225, you can get a brand new EHX Lester G, which IMO, sounds as good as any of 'em out there. I think it simulates that Jon Lord kind of distortion better than most.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Are you sure that's not your clothes dryer you're thinking of, David?
    Or do you dry laundry IN a Leslie?.......;)

Wally likes this.
  17. Wally

High speed for max spin dry????

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

I did that. Exterior fire escape, VFW, Crookston Minnesota, January 1978 (that's colder than you know, unless you've lived in the northland).

Paul G. likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I'm thinking you can get a nice small wood one for that when it shows up. Especially if SS is ok for you. There are some smaller SS models. I passed up a pair at an estate sale for $300 several years ago. I offered them $150 because I didn't really know what I'd do with them.

20. Wally

fnkmstr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.