Les Tele more Paul

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Jan 30, 2010.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

So this has been on the back burner because of this:
    [​IMG]

I'm ready to start sanding on all of these including the Les Pine. I thought about removing the ebony fretboard but decided I'll just finish it up as is. The fretboard issue is that the upper fret base notes will have a higher action than the treble side. The board was warped so I flattened it out which changed the shape of the arch of the fretboard at the upper frets.

A conversation started in another thread so I figured I'd best talk in my own instead of hijacking another.

2. guitarbuilder

This is a 10 x 12 " cottage" shed I had built for me. It was delivered today. I plan on outfitting it with a workbench etc so that I'm not trapped in the basement so much. First thing I installed was the A/C. Now I can sand my heart out on all my projects and not worry about getting it all over the place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I just finished building a replacement es355 neck similar to the ones above for Les Pauls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. treadwm

treadwm Tele-Meister

Hey! Not so fast. What's the orange car in the driveway? Something from the Mopar family? :D

4. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

That looks like Plymouth Duster.

5. guitarbuilder

That's a 72 number's matching 340 and it doesn't get a lot of use.

6. treadwm

treadwm Tele-Meister

Very nice!

7. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister

*BUMP* Sherman, set the WayBack Machine(tm)! So how'd the pine LP turn out? How'd it look? How'd it sound? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

8. guitarbuilder

Funny this thread popped up and that you should mention that, as I was going over my projects that got shelved yesterday, trying to find the inspiration to move forward on something. I picked it up... and put it back down.... I almost got out the iron to remove the fretboard on it... but no dice.

Anyway, I promised a few half- done projects to a friend of mind who lives about an hour away. We are going to meet up one of these days. That guitar and a few others are going to his house to sit around or get completed. I wish I would have stuck on a rosewood fingerboard of gibson scale... and it would have been done now.

9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

I would have liked to seen your experience with the pine neck, so few will try it and everyone should at least once :D. I understand the unfinished project deal, got a few myself. With the polyglot of mutts around here, the difference in fretscale I might not have noticed :lol:. 23.5" has become my favorite (followed by 25") so I do understand.
    Hopefully you'll do another all pine guit one of these days. I love how it stirs the pot :twisted:

Dave

10. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Which one you talkin' about? The split diamond? That looks fantastic! Actually they all do.

11. guitarbuilder

Yeah the trini lopez fretboard... the fretboard was an ebay purchase. It was slightly warped. I sanded it down level, but in doing that the high bass side actually sat lower. I thought since that is an area that my fingers never go to, I could live with it. What I didn't think about was the fact that I couldn't live with another blem...
    I don't know... I may have to yank the board and just finish it up the right way. My buddy wouldn't care either way I predict.

12. guitarbuilder

It's funny I played a LP most of my guitar playing life. After I made my first LP standard clone... the mystique was gone. It was like knowing the how the magic trick works I guess.

13. guitarbuilder

Three years later................

I got the heat gun out and removed the dreaded Trini Lopez ebony fretboard...

Now do I remake the pine neck or just stick on a rosewood fretboard......decisions,decisions.
    [​IMG]

14. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Dude,

Throw a fret board on that sucker! More than a few folks really want to know how a a Pine body and neck LP sounds, and whether a Pine neck is actually feasible.

I find that I prefer guitars with matching neck and body woods. I have a Tele with body and neck made from ultra light weight Black Limba, and another with body and neck made from light weight old growth Douglas fir. Both have the "magic". The fir tele blows my "made by Leo" 58 Tele out of the water, and the 58 is an amazing guitar. I've been thinking about building an all Pine LPJR so, I'm curious.......

Please carry on.:p

15. guitarbuilder

I found a nice piece of lowes pine today that has been in the "heated" closet for a few years . It has been there drying out. It looks like pine brace wood, perfectly quartered, although not split, so there will be some run out. I figure I can make the rest of the parts out of pine, just because.... if I don't do it...who will?

so...I'm thinking quartered pine fretboard. Pine binding with pine nibs, pine inlay ...TBA... pine pickups...etc... let's get crazy.....Might have to laminate some pine over that cherry peghead overlay too.

Sad part is I know have 5 mahogany necks carved...but who cares!!!!

16. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Funny nobody has done this yet....

And so sad we have no pine here...

17. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Douglas fir (quartersawn) makes a decent fretboard, and keeps it in the family :). Hoping that neck can be saved ;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  18. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Ooooooooooo 72 numbers matching 340 Duster. I am happy. Doesn't get much use? Shame. I can help you with that. ;-)

And by the way, the build is sweet. I haven't read of anyone playing with a pine/ HB equipped guitar. This is going to be cool. Are you going to wind your own pups?

Ron

19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

There have been 5 million+ LP's made out of mahogany. I don't think I've ever seen one built out of pine. Every time I've thought of doing it, the nagging voice in my head says "it won't sound right, it's not mahogany". Damn Marketers..........

20. guitarbuilder

Funny nobody has done this yet....

And so sad we have no pine here...

I bet somebody has already...just not in this forum.

Douglas fir (quartersawn) makes a decent fretboard, and keeps it in the family . Hoping that neck can be saved

The neck is in good shape. I'll stick to the pine most likely. It's not like any guitar gets worn out frets around here.

Ooooooooooo 72 numbers matching 340 Duster. I am happy. Doesn't get much use? Shame. I can help you with that. ;-)

And by the way, the build is sweet. I haven't read of anyone playing with a pine/ HB equipped guitar. This is going to be cool. Are you going to wind your own pups
    ?

The car is a money pit. Yep, I'll wind my own.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.