Les Paul- smooth toneful pickups

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I think it’s better to have a brighter pup and compensate electronically (which most tone knobs on guitar or pedal do by default) rather than a smoother/potentially hotter one that doesn’t play well with gain (and requires high passing).

With typical passive electronics that can only "take away", I always opt for the most I could want (or even just a little too much) of what a given control effects when that control is maxed, then use the control to turn that down as needed.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I think the Duncan/Lover SH-55's are as good as any "PAF- style" humbuckers on the market :).

They have that nice chime and sparkle and note separation that you just don't get from over-wound humbuckers.

One way to get rid of the microphonic squeal without potting the coils is to remove the covers, then take a piece of regular old scotch tape and stick it down between the slugs and adjustable pole pieces so it covers that area between the two coils, then run a small bead of silicone on top of the scotch tape, and then finally replace the cover - the tape keeps the silicone from getting into the coils ;)

The silicone forms a thin cushion between the cover and the coils and dampens out the vibration that leads to the squeal.

You can easily restore the pickup back to original if you want by taking the cover back off and peeling the scotch tape (along with the silicone) from the top of the coils and scraping the silicone off the underside of the cover

A couple of other good Gibson-made humbuckers are the '59 Tributes and the MHS (Memphis Historic Series) pickups

I have the '59's in a LP Traditional and the MHS's in an ES-275 and they both sound very nice - a lot like the Duncan/Lover SH-55

You could also try that thick (~16th of an inch?) double sided 3M tape (I guess what comes with command hooks, but they sell it separately). I’ve heard reports of that working as well as potting.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
With typical passive electronics that can only "take away", I always opt for the most I could want (or even just a little too much) of what a given control effects when that control is maxed, then use the control to turn that down as needed.

I think too much bass can be accounted for with high pass filtering before hitting gain stages, even passively, and sound good (occasionally glorious)...but it’s just a PITA to find or work (without losing a traditional tone knob) into a guitar most of the time. It’s like being a lefty in a righty world.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I think too much bass can be accounted for with high pass filtering before hitting gain stages, even passively, and sound good, but it’s just a PITA to find or work (without losing a traditional tone knob) into a guitar.

Are you referring to something like a PTB? It does depend on the guitar. I put one in my Strat as a master bass cut (replacing one tone control and making the other a master treble cut) and for me it's the perfect Strat configuration. Putting one in something like a Tele is trickier but I don't see myself wanting or needing one in a traditionally-appointed Tele.

I tried working one into my LP (like the Strat, having each tone control be a master for their respective frequency ranges, but keeping a volume control for each pickup), but I couldn't get that to work right.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Are you referring to something like a PTB? It does depend on the guitar. I put one in my Strat as a master bass cut (replacing one tone control and making the other a master treble cut) and for me it's the perfect Strat configuration. Putting one in something like a Tele is trickier but I don't see myself wanting or needing one in a traditionally-appointed Tele.

I tried working one into my LP (like the Strat, having each tone control be a master for their respective frequency ranges, but keeping a volume control for each pickup), but I couldn't get that to work right.

Yeah something like that, or having a formidable blendable cut on a gain stage. I don’t ever really need it on the tele, but my OCD usually bakes it in for my HB guitars in amp or pedal stuff (partially cause I don’t feel like rewiring, especially on the 335). The PTB on my strat with hot ceramics was really easy to implement and has treated me real well though.

hamerfan

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
You could also try that thick (~16th of an inch?) double sided 3M tape (I guess what comes with command hooks, but they sell it separately). I’ve heard reports of that working as well as potting.
I tried several methods. This one depends on the flatness of the covers. Some of them bulge in the middle and have no good contact to the surface. So I prefer the silicone dab with bulging covers.
Potting is my least preferred method - i did that when starting. It's a mess, you better use a vacuum potter, if the weather is hot, it starts to leak, when it's cold, the wax can break and needs reheating. No wax for me.