1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les paul problems!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FosterF, Dec 29, 2011.

1. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this but i didn't know where else to post! If I'm wrong then just let me know where to go.
    I have two Pauls that are both having trouble.
    The first is a Les Paul Custom and it is passing a very weak signal from the treble pickup that is unaffected by the volume knob. I put a DMM to the volume pot and it gave me no reading so I assume that's the problem. But where do I find an A300K pot to replace it? I'm guessing Gibson would sell replacements but their store is down until Jan 2nd.

Second guitar is a Les Paul Special.
    I hadn't played this guitar in probably a year and I picked it up last week.
    It has a very weak treble signal, a slightly stronger bass signal, and a stronger middle signal (but still far from a full signal)
    Volume pot (only has 1 vol. And 1 tone) was giving me readings but I'm not sure that they are what it is suppose to be.
    What would cause this?

I have a lot of experience working on pedals but absolutely zero experience with guitars so bear with me!
    Thanks in advance!
    -Foster

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Guitar 1:
    I'd check the resistance on the pickup itself to see if that's the problem.
    I think you should get a reading around 13-14 ohms for humbuckers.

Guitar 2:
    If it worked when you put it away, the problem is probably simple.
    Clean the pots and output jack.

Both:
    Are you in a high humidity/damp environment?
    It's odd that you have 2 guitars with similar problems.
    I'd start with some pot cleaner.
    300k pots? I'm not that familiar with Lesters.
    A 500k pot would be fine with humbuckers.
    Any guitar store should stock what you need.

3. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Tele-Meister

The first thing I would do is to fire switch cleaner at the pots and switches. You'll probably end up swapping them out anyway, but this will at least confirm the problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.