Les Paul Pics.......(here on the Tele forum).......

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by studio1087, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Bluessoldier

Bluessoldier Tele-Meister

Why is the top curve so flat? I thought that reissues are supposed to express the top curve even more, like the originals.

2. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

The Les Paul dilema.... you start playing electric guitar and everyone sez that the Les Paul is THE thing to have. I was always a Fender guy. ( I have 5 Tele's and 5 Strat's).

After playing since '66 I grabbed a white Les Paul Studio in '90 for $500. I didn't care that much about it. It was nice to have, but I hardly ever played it. It looked about like this:
    [​IMG]

I eventually painted it '67 Chevelle metallic blue. [​IMG]

......and hammered a bunch of metal stars into the front of it.
    [​IMG]
    After refinishing and some new Seymour Duncan 59's here it is today: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last night I took it out at a gig and played it all night. I REALLY like it now. One guy yelled out "Neal, you need to sell all them other guitars and just play that one!"

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

I started out (about 45 years ago!) as a "Gibson guy" -- took lessons, then taught and worked at a store that sold Gibson's. "Back in those days" (at least in Ft. Wayne, IN) one store had the Gibson line and another had the Fender line. It was the Hatfields and McCoys. Other than some jazz guitars, however, I haven't had a Gibson "rock/blues/country" guitar in ages. But this '58 Reissue caught my eye a few months ago. It's a beauty!

Funny though, I love the feel of that big neck, and like the sound of it when I'm just practicing, but as soon as I play it with the band, I start looking around for my old partcaster tele! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

No probs with mine!

5. SolidSnakeBoss

SolidSnakeBoss Tele-Meister

Nice guitars! Still need to get myself a les paul....

6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Only an Epiphone, but it's from 1999...apparently a good time for Epis made in Korea...and I've put a set of Duncan '59s in her. Great guitar.

[​IMG]

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's not flat at all. My photos do not accentuate the top curve. I took the photos very quickly a few months ago, plus I'm not a photographer.

Yes, Historic reissues are known to be close to the originals (unless you're one of those guys from the Les Paul forum who x-rayed their Bumblebee caps). I've played a real 54 and this is pretty damn close.

8. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Love my Studio. Reminds me of my Tele. No frills but does the job.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my Agile 3100. Lots of frills and it does the job as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

OK, OK, here are my two Les Paul's. The sunburst is a Trad Pro I bought new in 2009 . I was just ready to pull the trigger on a 57 Gold Top at Wildwoods when I played this guitar. It was everything I ever wanted on a Paul. Locking Grover's, Zebra pickups, push pull for single coil sounds, sixties neck, and not chambered. Maybe the best guitar I've ever owned (and I've owned more than 100)IMO.
    Now we come to the Gold top. Last December I bought a 50's Tribute Gold top that I loved dearly. I also bought a 60's Tribute that actually had some flame a few months later. Both great guitars. I went to the G.C.a few weeks ago to buy a mic cable and saw this beauty. A Trad Pro Gold Top with tapped P90's, Locking tuners, and huge honk-in 50's neck, the fattest neck I've ever owned. I played it for 5 minutes and knew it was the one. It's a beast at 9.5 pounds and I wouldn't have it any other way. I traded the 60's L.P. for a US Masters guitar and sold the 50's tribute for a small profit. I think I found the right ones.

Attached Files:

10. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! that is beautiful. i think all along that guitar was supposed to be a gold top. when you refinished it that way, it was finally ready to play at long last.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.