1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by BritishBluesBoy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Forgot to mention 'The Crash Test Dummy'

[​IMG]
    It's a Vintage V100PGMR Lemon... sorry, Drop.
    It's fair to say it's not a good example of the species. I got it in 2011, should have returned it, really but I took pity on it and sorted all the issues... except one.
    My gut guess is that between the neck being machined and it having the truss and fingerboard fitted, it twisted, and instead of binning it, they sanded the mating face flat and carried on. As a result, the neck IS straight, but not quite square to the body. It works fine, but the neck is too thin and the guitar isn't worth enough to justify fixing it.
    It's a good test bed for pickup and wiring experiments. It's had Jimmy Page wiring, magnet swaps... etc.
    Currently, fitted with a 7.9k A2 pickup in the neck and 7.5k A2 pickup in the bridge with the neck wired through a polarity switch. Sounds as close to' Greeny' as anything else I've hear, closer than the original spec and closer than many of the ""boutique" sets.
    Anyway, wouldn't sleep well selling it with the issues, so...

brookdalebill, carpenter and ejphotos like this.
  2. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

This came home with me last week... Tokai LS136f violin burst... Perfect Japanese craftsmanship, plays like a dream.

IMG_20201118_152545.jpg

3. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Beautiful, aren't they?
    As you can see from a few posts before, I have an LS150F and a Gibson LPR9. I'm not going to say 'it's better than the Gibson', because it's not. Idon't rate the Tokai pickups, and I think the hide glue the Gibson CS uses now makes a difference - yes, I was sceptical, too.
    It IS made just as well as a GCS and with the mods I did, it does sound better than my R9. It just doesn't quite vibrate/sustain as well.
    All that said, it's fae better than anything Gibson USA (not the same company as the Custom Shop, apparently) puts out. Mine is now called the LS196 - the numver is the pricetag in hundreds of thousand Yen - which puts it £200 more expensive than the current USA LP Std.
    If I had to give one back, I'd struggle to choose, but I'd pay the extra £200 over a USA Std every time.

Catawompus likes this.
  4. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

They sure are beautiful and the craftsmanship is exceptional. Mine is a lower priced model. I think I paid roughly about a third less than I would have for a US Gibson Les Paul Standard and IMHO it rivals it in just about any respect, especially in workmanship. Pickups are always a matter of taste, and so far I really like the ones it came with. The neck is nice and fat (not too fat), it's not sticky at all like the one of my '92 Gibson LP Custom. All in all, I think Tokai makes guitars that can't be beat in price and quality. This one is a keeper.

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  5. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

2012 Traditional Plus Wine Red
    PB220713.jpg

6. Florida Sam

Florida Sam Tele-Meister

16 years ago I sold my pride and joy Les Paul. It was one of those times where I was at a crossroads in my life. Selling that guitar literally saved my life. But I missed it dearly. It was one of a kind. I've resisted buying a new one for a long time because I knew it wouldn't make me happy.
    Last week I finally found my new love. A 2018 R0 in Dark Bourbon Fade.
    The neck fits my hand like a glove. It sounds exactly how a Les Paul should. And the top.

20201113_100801.jpg

7. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Wow, thats like a picture perfect top

carpenter and Florida Sam like this.
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Unionjack515 likes this.
  9. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Sépia.jpg

19-01-10 Casa kit-.jpg

ejphotos, GTRJunkie and tce63 like this.
  10. GTRJunkie

GTRJunkie TDPRI Member

IMG_0955.jpg IMG_0956.jpg IMG_0954.jpg All Beautiful Guitars - I have owned a few Lesters over time, both Gibby's & Epi's along with an Agile, but none stuck around until this beauty. It plays as sweet as it looks.

This is my 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard 120th Anniversary (of Gibson) model. The color is Ocean Blue Perimeter wBurstbucker's, locking tuners and push-pull pots for Coil Tap, Out of Phase Neck and Pure Bypass or It can all work as normal Les Paul wiring which is what I generally do. I do enjoy the Out Of Phase Neck Pup setting though and find it enjoyable at times.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    brookdalebill and ejphotos like this.
  11. GTRJunkie

GTRJunkie TDPRI Member

12. GTRJunkie

GTRJunkie TDPRI Member

Love that guitar! I imagine it could cure many an issue including GAS!

Florida Sam likes this.
  13. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Gibson’s latest experimental weight relief strategy :D

14. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

20201227_203542.jpg 20201227_203735.jpg

All of those recent threads about Gibsons got me all revved up. This is a Guitar Center Triburst. I have tried a number of Standards off of the wall over the past months and this was easily the best. It is under 9 lbs., has really impressive sustain, and feels great. Not a deep neck or much shoulder, but still a handful. It is super fresh, made in September.

I encourage folks to check these out. I tried another couple of Tribursts recently and they were the best on those days too. A little bit more light and lively. Another thing worth mentioning is color variation. Those that I've seen and played had a darker outer burst with a lot of red. This one is lighter on the outer edges and lighter brown on the inside. The pictures make it look darker than it is in real life.

Anyway, I don't have a bad thing to say about it. But the adage is true that if you can, you should play a bunch until you can find the "one."

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Chip, ejphotos, basher and 3 others like this.
  15. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

16. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

That must be an Iced Tea? Looks great!

Interesting(?) postscript to my story. Mine is probably a Bourbon Burst that was somehow misidentified as a Triburst. Even the label on the box says Triburst and the serial number matches, so it wasn't a store screw up. I was over on the MyLesPaul forum and saw someone with a Triburst claiming it was labeled a Bourbon Burst. Just thought that was kind of weird.

ejphotos likes this.
  17. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Thanks! Yes mine is iced tea.
    Yours looks like iced tea as well, at least in those pictures. I know Bourbon and iced tea both change a lot in different lighting. Yours is definitely not triburst though.

18. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I bought a basically mint Epiphone 50s Standard Goldtop a week or so back.
    It had a few high frets so I did have to level and crown them, but it is playing lovely now... The pickups are nice and on this one I'm not even that adverse to the weird veneer they put on the back of these.
    Still not entirely convinced full fat Les Pauls are for me (I play a Special mostly) but this thing does sound and feel like a proper Lester, and it has the 'sustain for days' thing going on, which is fun!

received_405105590785700.jpeg received_740662500175049.jpeg received_267032268172597.jpeg

19. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Epiphone often have high frets that aren't really high frets, but mostly badly seated ones. I always try to tap them down first. I haven't had to level any yet.

Nice Goldtop ! What year ?

kohoutec and tce63 like this.
  20. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

It's one of the "Inspired by Gibson" from last year, so still relatively new

DrBGood likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.