1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by BritishBluesBoy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Yeah, totally. The dream was always to have a cherryburst LP like Clapton's Beano, but since I bought it, the color has grown on my by the day. At this point, I don't think I'd trade it for a more traditional burst, although all my friends keep describing this guitar as "interesting".

Minimalist518 likes this.
  2. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

1968 Les Paul Goldtop.jpg

My 68 Goldtop (obviously). Very little original about it. Originally it had P90's (with Gibson embossed on them), and the stop tailpiece was the bridge. Of course, new tuners were installed right away. The P90's squealed a lot, so I had them removed and a set of (I think) Dimarzio PAF's installed. That was back around 76. I used it for over 20 years, stopped using it around 1998, then decided to have the scars removed (there are still signs of them, as evidenced by the two light dots between the control knobs), which required a refin. I think the refin job was excellent in that it has the exact same aged look that it had before the restoration. But I sure wish I had just left it original.

rze99, puddin, 4telecaster4 and 2 others like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think your guitar may be a 72-73.
    I had a 68, and a 72 with the embossed P90s and wrap tail bridge.
    Great guitar(s).
    The 72s have the older thin binding in the cutaway that lets the maple cap show.
    68s have thicker binding in the cutaway.

4. Gene O.

I will not dispute that. I actually sent a letter to Gibson (Norlin), asking them to date the guitar. They said it was a 68. I have a friend that has a 68, and you're right - no embossment on the P90's, and his had a baseball bat neck. I also have a friend that has a 72 Goldtop, except with mini humbuckers. His didn't resemble mine at all, especially the finish. His was very light colored, whereas mine was darker, and with a lot of depth. I have heard that when production of the Les Paul started up again in 68 (is that correct? or was it 67?), that there may have been some inconsistency, but what do I know besides nothing? So I will simply plead ignorance at this point.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

Being an older guy, I had a bunch of cool Les Pauls in my youth.
    They are still my all time favorite guitars, appearance-wise.
    I once owned (simultaneously) two 68 Les Pauls, and two 69s.
    The 69s both had somewhat slimmer necks and somewhat bigger headstocks.
    I (foolishly) refinished one 68 in cherry sunburst, and one 69 in tobacco sunburst.
    All were great guitars with one piece bodies, one piece necks and center seam maple tops.
    They were $350 guitars (second hand) in those days.
    I even had a 55 stop and tuneamatic gold top that cost an exorbitant $500.
    This rocket scientist horse traded them all away.
    Doh!

6. Gene O.

I believe many of us older guys are guilty of maiming some pretty nice old guitars. I even heard of a 50's LP being routed out for a Floyd Rose bridge. :eek:
    Yup! I paid around $350 for mine.
    I also heard that the 69's had the volute at the headstock, which mine doesn't, but I'll check my serial number again. When I sent that letter to Gibson there were no internet sites to date guitars by their serial numbers. ;)

7. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

It is. It's a Strings and Things of Memphis Bluesmaster. OLong story short, I got it in a trade from a guy I played in a band with years ago. He had altered it by putting a neck humbucker in it. Couldn't get it to Sound good, so it sat in the closet for 20 years.

Last year I bought a Telecaster set of split coils and wired it back to original as close as I could get it. Now she sings.

Thanks for noticing her, she appreciates it.

8. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

Do you have the original pots?

9. Gene O.

I believe so.

Chip likes this.
  10. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

Here's a nice article on how to date a Les Paul and explains how using the pot dates to help explain the year of manufacture.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Dating_A_70s_Les_Paul

I always thought my Deluxe was a '72 but the serial number on the headstock could have spanned over a few years. After checking the 4th and 5th numbers on the pots it revealed that it is a '74

IMG_3551.jpg

rze99, nwinkler and Gene O. like this.
  11. Gene O.

Thank you for that info Chip. It appears that my Goldtop is, in fact, a 1971. That's my final answer. Pay no attention to that guy claiming his LP is a 1968! ;)

12. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey Tele-Meister

Finally back in the club! This is my second ever LP (no longer have the first one, was an Epiphone Tribute Plus) and my first Gibson. I’m really impressed with the quality on this one. I know some say they’ve gotten some really poor Gibson’s the last few years, so I have went over it fairly well, at least the main things I only really care about, and I can’t find anything wrong with it. It’s a 2017 Traditional in desert burst. She’s a beauty and sounds huge, even with the little 9’s on there lol!
    IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0410.JPG

13. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

OK, it's not a Gibson, not even an Epi, but I picked this up for $60; it's an Oscar Schmidt OE20 by Washburn.

I'd never heard of them until Tuesday, and I wouldn't normally post a new guitar, but I just have to let anyone know who wants a very affordable LP (I think about $200 new), that this thing is sweet. Bound body and neck, perloid inlays, tune-o-matic bridge, big 'ol frets, set neck and some very respectable pickups. It's slightly thinner in body and neck, so light and comfortable to play. A great beginner, beater, project, whatever guitar.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  14. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey Tele-Meister

Did a little customization today. First was the poker chip. Had to happen. Second, I had a set of SD Pearly Gates in another guitar that I love. The other guitar is a semi hollow body, so I was already wanting to try something a little smoother in it. Then came this Les Paul, and the BB1/2 are really nice, but a little too smooth for what I want in a Les Paul. I’m not the smartest man, but it occurred to me these pickups were in the wrong guitars!

I was a little hesitant taking the chrome covered pickups out the LP for a set of zebras because, even though I love zebras, something about a Les Paul just looks sexy with covers. But the stars aligned and they go with the desert burst like it was made for zebras. And they’re a dead on match with the chip.

Tonally, it’s exactly what I wanted. The perfect amount of bite while keeping the clarity and articulation ( for a Les Paul anyway ), but rolling back the volume cleans up nicely. I believe it’s perfect now. Tomorrow I’ll put the BB’s in the semi hollow, hopefully with the same results.
    IMG_0416.JPG

15. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I bought a 2010 Traditional in Iced Tea Burst online today to use as an upgrade platform. I plan to overspray the top in Ebony and give it a relic—so I get the “painted over” look of the Collector’s Choice guitars Gibson has issued recently. Then I plan to change out essentially everything—hardware, pickups, wiring, some of the plastics, knobs. Hopefully I’ll recoup some of the upgrade cost with the parts, though I’m not expecting much.

16. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

1998 studio..490r/498t, all stock, heavy just the way i like em
    2015 double cut p90

Attached Files:

• 98lpa.jpg
      98lpa.jpg
      File size:
      165.4 KB
      Views:
    • TV3.jpg
      TV3.jpg
      File size:
      130.6 KB
      Views:
    • TV1.jpg
      TV1.jpg
      File size:
      190.2 KB
      Views:
    • 98lp.jpg
      98lp.jpg
      File size:
      155.6 KB
      Views:
    teletimetx and Minimalist518 like this.
  17. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

IMG_9923.JPG IMG_9921.JPG IMG_9920.JPG

IMG_9792.JPG
    I finished my Gold Top project. I bought the stripped body off of Stratosphere guitar. It’s a 50’s Tribute. The body is non weight relieved and it has the fuller 59 style neck that I like.

I took my time and located all the right pieces to make it the way I wanted it. D. Allen P-51 Mustang pickups, Tone Man 50’s style wiring harness, locking Grover tuners, and stock Gibson tailpiece and bridge. The Allens sound fierce!! I haven’t weighed it, but it’s pretty stout. The other Les Paul is my faded brown studio model. That one has SD Pearly Gates pickups.

18. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

Don't know if I posted any of mine here before, so pardon me if any are repeats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My favorite since '83, a Guitar trader pre-Historic. Lotta miles on her now, still plays and sounds great.
    [​IMG]
    A nicer pic of her top. Not super highly-figured like some R-9s, but a lot like old flametops, and the finish is just luminous.
    [​IMG]
    A few other oddball singlecuts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And Black Beauty on the way tomorrow, should be here by the end of the week. I bought one of the original reissues when they came out in '74. It got stolen, and I've been missing it for more than twenty years.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  19. brookdalebill

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

20. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

I love LPs. Been playing 'em for a lot of years. Met Les on a number of occasions; used to go see him play his weekly shows in North Jersey once in a while when I wasn't gigging that night. His longtime soundman was my go-to luthier back in the 70s & 80s.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.