Les Paul Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by BritishBluesBoy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's mine:

Her name is "Mona". She's a 2003 Historic '56 "Stinger" with a fat neck and a Brazlian rosewood fingerboard. The top is on the cusp of flame and quilt in an iced tea sunburst. It's lighter then it looks in the pictures. It has a black "stinger" on the back of the headstock. It was part of a run custom made for Music Machine in Washington state. I got it through a shop in New England. The original owner bought two and kept the one he thought was best. If this was the second, I'd like to see the first!

I got it to replace the '68 gold top I had after high school. I was playing in a country-rock band and the LP had "too much sustain." I replaced it with the '66 Epiphone Riviera that is in the picture.

Attached Files:

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful Paul!

Love my R6 too, the best of LPs in my opinion.

3. 56strat

56strat Tele-Meister

NGD!!! R8

Happy Birthday to me!! A new R8 that should be in my hands tomorrow. 1958 is the year I was born, so the R8 seemed appropriate.

[​IMG]

4. Stringfellow

Stringfellow TDPRI Member

Hi all- first post on this page. I'm looking for anyone with a bit more expertise- I've got a Gold Top that my research tells me is a '68 by the serial number (915xxx), but of course things could be fuzzy back then. What makes me wonder about its exact vintage is that it has a pancake body with the maple strip right in the middle, and the logo has the dot over the 'i' and also a closed 'o' and 'b'. Logo appears to be silkscreened UNDERNEATH the nitro. Serial number is stamped into the peghead, (does not say 'made in USA), bonnet-style tone and volume knobs do not have the printed inserts used after 1960. Black Sprague caps. Info I have found says that the dot over the 'i' was not on any '69 models, so that would likely be '68. But the pancake body was not supposed to appear until '69. Strange beast that I would like to pinpoint... Due to extreme wear, most hardware has been changed before I got it 25 years ago- this guitar has been played like hell for nearly 50 years. Pickups replaced decades ago- Gibson Patent Sticker PUPs of an unknown year- likely one of the first few years of production. Any help is appreciated!

BTW not one mark or crack was done by me- this is the exact way it's looked since I bought it around 1985 for $400.00. Two headstock breaks, pro repair, still perfect. So whoever had it originally must have been a very hard gigging musician to get it this worn in those original 18 years or so. Bad buckle rash, neck finish in patches was totally stripped to the wood from sweat so I carefully took the rest off for a uniform surface. You can see that for as long as they had it before me, someone rested their fingers where the pickguard should have been, burning it down to the wood- my favourite marking on this guitar. Only things I did were new nut (worn out completely) new frets (ditto- down to the tangs) new bridge (was rotting off) and backplates (missing)- and possibly pickup rings also- I seem to remember them splitting and crumbling with age 15-20 years ago. Unfortunately I ditched the original case at it was falling apart. Vintage parts had little value back then.

BTW- this was also around the time I found a mint, stock, original 1959 Flametop in Hollywood at Voltage Guitars for $1,100.00. Yes, you have read that correctly; eleven hundred dollars. I cry now knowing what I had in front of me, but I was only 18 and didn't have the cash at the time. And who knew? Everyone was ditching their old stuff to sound like EVH. Did get an original Thomas Organ Cry Baby with Fasel for $35 tho- and my buddy got a Thunderbird prototype for a few hundred. This was 1983. But I digress- here's my Paul.

Previous owner put in new PUPs, tuning machines. Electronics are stock. Cracks are from improper pickup installation and general age and go through the top. You can see daylight if you look through the electronics cavity.

Plays and sounds like god.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Hi Les Paul experts, AFAIK the Les Paul standard was chambered for a couple of years, before they had the locking plug and all the bells and whistles of the contemporary standards. I played one in the shop a couple of years ago but maybe just wasn't redy for it. I have a studio now which I seem to like mostly for the fact that it is chambered, so I would like to look for one of these chambered standards. Anybody got an idea for which years I have to look out?
    Is there a good ressource to get more information about the details of the specific years?

Thanks,

Stephan

6. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

I have always gone back to LPs, got my first historic last year...

Attached Files:

7. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

My VOS Darkback Goldtop.

image-1924346198.jpg

8. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Douse it have a volute?It might be a 70-72.
    It's a beaut either way.

9. Stringfellow

Stringfellow TDPRI Member

Thank you!

No, no volute. I'm positive it's earlier than the 70's as there is no Made In USA stamped below the serial number. This site states it should be a '68 by the serial, which is 915xxx
    http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

But as I say, the logo, knobs, and pancake body make me wonder.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  10. Yossi

Yossi TDPRI Member

I'll play:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my Gibson custom shop R9 made in 1996. I changed the Pups to Throbak SLE101Ltd, and did the RS Kit for the pots and changed the wiring to the vintage, plus put in a treble bleed. It a great axe.

11. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

My first Les Paul. 2012 Standard.

image-3444404952.jpg

image-1511930012.jpg

12. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

image-3554428631.jpg

2010 LP standard. Had It 3 weeks before it went back and got my money returned.

13. Matt Laird

Matt Laird Tele-Meister

My Lesters

I have:

A 2011 Epiphone Les Paul Standard that has been modified with Gibson Deluxe Tuners, Gibson black pickup surrounds, black switch washer, black LP Custom pickguard and Gibson P-94 pickups. We lovingly call it "Reggie"

Reggie.jpg

A 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute Gold Top with P-90s.

GoldTop.jpg

A 2012 Gibson Les Paul Junior Single Cut in TV Yellow.

Junior.jpg

I am a bit of a P-90 fanatic.

14. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

Can I join the club too ? I just bought a Les Paul Special with p-90's.

15. SockPuppetMasta

SockPuppetMasta Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

16. Matt Laird

Matt Laird Tele-Meister

Very nice!

How did you mount the Bigsby? Wondering if you mounted it direct or if you used the Vibramate. Thanks.

17. bscenefilms

bscenefilms TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

My 77 all original custom.

18. City Sirens

City Sirens Tele-Meister

We wants it, yes precious.

19. SockPuppetMasta

SockPuppetMasta Tele-Meister

I mounted it via the Vibramate also added in their Bigsby Spoiler.
    Very easy, very fast install and would totally recommend it to others.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.