Les Paul Knob Question

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by hybridrocknroll, Jul 13, 2013.

1. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Tele-Afflicted

Just wanted some info or suggestions. I've got a 2012 Les Paul Traditional that I'm replacing the knobs on. I'm changing from speed knobs to bell knobs. I can't seem to get the new bell knobs to go as far down as the speed knobs on the pot. Is this normal, or do I need to just put more pressure down to get it as far down? I'm having to push extremely hard to get it to go on anymore. Here are some pics to give you an idea:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Don't push them too hard!!!!!

I did the same thing on my 2010 Trad, although I also added pointers. I used the standard Gibson knobs from Darren Riley.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Take a look at the inside of the knob. Do the bell knobs have a shorter knurled hole for the pot shaft to fit into than the speed knobs?

In any case, the bushings on the pots have two nuts on them - one goes on each side of the guitar's top - so you can adjust the amount of shaft that protrudes through the body. So, undo the top nut, take off the rear control plate and gently pull the pot back through the body hole. Then simply adjust the second nut so that the pot shaft won't protrude as much. Put the pot back in, put the top nut back on and snug it up. Rinse and repeat times three. Put the control plate back on. Put your bell knobs on.

It's easier to actually do it than to explain how!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  3. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

I wouldn't push to hard. You can add spacers to the front side of the pots, or there might be a height adjustment nut on them. Take a measurement where your at now, pull the pots outs, and add spacers or adjust the nuts, to get the height your after.

Onebean

4. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Holic

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Check out these knob variations: the base of the knobs on the far right make the knob sit higher on the pot shaft. The subtle recess on the knobs on the left & in center allow the knob to sit lower on the pot with more of the threaded shaft exposed.

You may be replacing recessed knobs with non-recessed knobs. To make the non-recessed sit closer to the body, you can remove the pots, adjust the nut on the pot to sit higher up the shaft (exposing less of the threading that protrudes from the guitar) and re-seat the knobs. You can make this adjustment without unsoldering anything, unless there is not enough give from the ground wire. Everything else should be fine.

5. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Holic

To get your new knobs to sit closer to the body, there should be no pot shaft thread showing on the top of the guitar. Looks like you have about 3-5 threads exposed, which would let the recessed knobs sit nicely, but is way too high for the non-recessed knobs.

6. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

Where did you buy your knobs?

7. hybridrocknroll

Here are the knobs to compare (bell knob looks like a smaller shaft now that I compare them):

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. KevinB

Just in case you are not aware of it, there are metric import (6mm shaft diameter) pots and inch USA (1/4" - 6.35mm) pots.

In addition, USA pots come in fine-knurl (CTS 24 spline) and coarse knurl (Alpha 18 spline) varieties. Your Gibson almost certainly has CTS pots - but you should check - so make sure you get the correct knobs.

9. hybridrocknroll

Where do y'all suggest purchasing them from? It'll be a few days before I can snap a picture of the pot shaft, but I may go go ahead and order some from a shop (these knobs were from a friend, said they fit his LP). I'm honestly a greenhorn at modding (even simple stuff like this).

10. KevinB

Look at the link I added to my first reply.

Darren Riley is in Richmond, NC (not that far from you) and he's a great guy with great service.

He has the Gibson knobs in gold or amber. With these I don't think you'll have to adjust the pot shafts at all.

11. hybridrocknroll

Sorry, I did actually ready your post, the link just didn't show on the app until I clicked the post to show only that one.

12. KevinB

Strange...but no problem, now you got it! :)

13. hybridrocknroll

Just ordered some! Thanks!

14. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I would go with these instead they are louder.
    [​IMG]

15. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Do they go to eleven?

16. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

yes they are one louder.

17. KevinB

Are you sure that's a volume knob that goes to eleven?

What if it's a tone knob? One more ear bleed?

18. hybridrocknroll

Well....it appears the damn knob is stuck on the pot. I'm using the towel method and it just won't budget. Didn't have long to try, but it didn't move the couple times I tried. Suggestions?

19. KevinB

Two teaspoons as levers - one on each side of the knob?

A strong shoelace doubled (under each side of the knob) might do it.

But be careful now, you really don't want to damage that top.

StewMac's knob puller is probably the best answer.

[​IMG]

20. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Holic

A piece of leather, a nice thick washcloth or even a credit card with masking tape on one side as a shield.

Then, a sturdy teaspoon. Start with the knob turned all the way in one direction, then slowly turn the knob as you apply even pressure to pry it off. Go back and forth with the knob, and steady work will slide it off.

Or, you can give it one sharp blow with a mallet on the top. The knob will break before the pot....just watch for pieces bouncing off the top, dinging the finish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.