1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul Junior, Yes or No???

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 985plowboy, Jan 22, 2019.

1. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, no kidding.

I love all of these guys who claim that their single pickup guitars are “more versatile” than the two-pickup equivalent. Not in this thread, necessarily, but I see it all the time.

Nonsense.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

This.

While I don't own an actual Gibson LPJ, I have owned 2 LPJ copies (a late 90s Epi that I converted to an LP 'Special' type with a low rider goldfoul in the neck, and an SL59 which I still own and play often).

I've read people talk about Jr.'s being limited due to the single pickup, but while it may not give you the same tonal options as a multi pickup guitar, I have always been impressed with their versatility. But for me, along with how I play, the tone and volume knobs are essential to really opening a Jr up. If you just run it with the volume and tone dimed, sure, it may feel like a one truck pony to degrees. But if you're one who likes to use the onboard controls then you can wring a lot of character out of an LPJ. Next to my Tele Custom, LPJs are my favorite guitars.

If you are somehow fortunate to score a double cutaway with the specs you desire, all the better (IMHO). My one issue with the typical LP shape is that I prefer to have easier access to the higher frets. This doesn't seem to bother a lot of LP type players, though, so it may not be an issue.

3. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

It always hurts to lose a guitar. Here's to hoping the Junior suits your every wish!

985plowboy likes this.
  4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Do it, if you like the neck. I have a 2015 Junior (robot tuners!) that is one of my two main gigging guitars. Versatility isn't a problem. Between the volume and tone knob and changes to picking/strumming position, I've never had trouble getting the sounds I need out if it.

nojazzhere and 985plowboy like this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I would never say that.

I would, however, say that versatility is overrated. I'd rather have a guitar (or amp) with one great tone than a multiplicity of mediocre tones.

Flaneur and nojazzhere like this.
  6. ac15

Agreed. Yeah, you may not say that, but I hear it a lot and it makes no sense.

Taking your statement about “one great tone” a step further, I buy that, but only as long as there is some wiggle room.

In other words, you get that one great tone, but you have some room to play with the volume or tone knobs on the amp or guitar for similarly great sounds.

If I can only get one great tone, but the amp and guitar has to be specifically set one way, that’s not ideal.

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I would say the versatility of a one pickup guitar is underrated to a large degree. But is there really any doubt what you can cover with 2x is broader in any universe?

But using one for a while will sure teach you about picking nuances in terms of tonal response in picking areas and attack etc.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Bella likes this.
  8. robt57

Seems borne out in the Phil X vid.

9. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The way Gibson mess with availability of the Jr range, the have good resale value. Got more trade-in for my 2015 than I paid for it. I say look for a good deal and grab one.

Flaneur likes this.
  10. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I been gassing for a single cut, single pup jr for years. The Phil X video was fun. That jr he played looked brand new.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have a DC Melody Maker w/ a single humbucker.. + a Tele. I had it on consignment, at a local shop, as I didn't play it much after getting the Tele, but after my $$ situation improved I took it back. Very different guitars, almost like another type of instrument; very much a "electrified guitar" very organic. A friend has a DC LP Special , those are cool too, but more in the traditional Gibson vein. The Esquire is something else again. There is something to be said for one PU sans switching a cord and amp, the "limitations" bring out aspects of your playing that you often aren't aware of.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't do it man! It won't be a great as it is in your mind, and you'll just feel guilty for indulging. Spend that money on your kids.

985plowboy likes this.
  13. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

Buy one, you want one and they’re killer guitars. I certainly didn’t need to see this. I’m quite fond of TV yellow Les Paul Specials. I already have 2 P90 guitars and really don’t need another.

14. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

Pickup a cheap indo. made epi lp jr.It's bolt on but some are very very good.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a 1956 Junior when I was in high school, circa 1974.
    It stayed in tune well and had a big ol’ neck.
    It sounded snarly and mean through my cranked up Bassman, and later, my Plexi.
    I didn’t keep it long, I need a neck pickup.
    It sounds like you want, and need a Junior.
    Frank Recard’s double cut/B bender Junior sure sounded good with Emmylou in the 80s, BTW.

Bruxist likes this.
  16. ac15

Yeah, I get it. Somehow feels like you’re being super resourceful or something.

I actually played jazz on the bridge pickup of my Tele, and tweaked the tone and volume knob to sort of simulate having an Esquire (though I realize Esquires have extra switching).

It worked surprisingly well. So people do it and it probably feels good to have fewer options, but definitely not more versatile.

17. robt57

I have a Vari-tone Rotary in my #1 Tele. I do also have a neck PU, but can get the Bridge PU to do things from cocked wah [2 positions] to baritone emulated tone. And one position Jazz like, planky woody, muted treble. It is all fun and all good unless it sounds like turds. ;)

ac15 likes this.
  18. ac15

I’m much more interested in an Esquire than a Junior, but I have owned a lot of p90 guitars and still have a couple now, so that’s probably why.

The Esquire switching is somewhat intriguing, and it sounds like you’ve approximated that with your setup. Cool.

But every time I think of getting one, I’m reminded that I really love Telecaster neck pickups. They are weak, but the sound they make is great, and great for jazz, which I do play at times.

Still though...

19. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

A guitar player needs at least one of every kind!

But... it is an LP jr - you can buy a lot better guitar for that price in the used market. Get one....but get it cheap.

20. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hey man... if you've got the scratch... scratch that itch!

And I agree with many others here... go for the two-pickup version. So many wonderful tonal variations on tap.

I found this pristine example on eBay a number of years ago, from a guy in Canada, and sprang for it. Bound fretboard, Tune-O-Matic bridge. Ample neck. Sweet set-up. It's my favorite Les Paul now.

The Trans Amber LP Standard next to it is a really fine instrument, indeed, but I actually enjoy the LP Jr Special even more!

[​IMG]

Here, with its ES-339 brother. Yes, the ES-339 is not much larger than a Les Paul - that's what I love about the 339!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.