Les Paul Junior Double Cut????

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by dreamingtele, Feb 20, 2020.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

the one im getting, used, is a 2019, as new (the owner is a bassist), with plastics on it still for guess what, 500 usd.

this might be the best deal I’ll ever get than buying new here though

Junior59 and Torren61 like this.
  2. dreamingtele

i’m super tempted!!!

im new to Gibsons and I honestly dont know the history of the double cuts, but when I saw the orig config, small pg, pots on wood, i liked it, and I wish they did it on this, but looking at it hard, its just aesthetics like you said, and I dont mind it actually. But I’m still looking for other options, and I havent said yes to the seller yet!

i just want to get on that Gibson P90 goodness!

Junior59 likes this.
  3. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Building one right now.
    IMG_20200217_193135.jpg

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The 2019s are routed for the neck pickup, I actually bought the two-pickup Special, a 50 buck difference I believe at GC. Finding a pickguard will be a little hard, but I’m making a pattern probably for this model soon :)

I have no issue with maple either, if I need it more warm and dark, I use the very interactive tone control :D

Junior59 likes this.
  5. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

The prices are so good right now because they are blowing them out. Closeout sale. They're being discontinued. You can't find a cherry red one. MF and Sweetwater only have a few black ones left. I got the worn cherry junior last year and it's great. I guess they didn't sell well. I certainly didn't get mine for no $559.

Junior59 likes this.
  6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I have a 2019 LP Tribute double cut. It is the only version without a neck pickup cutout under the pickguard, and says “Les Paul Junior” on the headstock. All the later ones say “Les Paul Model” on the headstock and have the extra cutout. It flat out rocks.

[​IMG]

ZenGuitarist, Junior59 and studio1087 like this.
  7. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

No, no, no, no, no, no! If you don't mind the aesthetics of the 2020's, jump on it immediately. The LPJr is one of the most iconic guitars ever built. That is an incredible deal they are offering right now. Just buy it. You'll love it. And at that price, if you decided to go another direction, you could flip it and recoup most, if not all of your money. Trust me on this one!

Junior59 likes this.
  8. dreamingtele

the one Im looking at is the Junior on the headstock. I guess no cutout for the neck

Junior59 likes this.
  9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Gibson Les Paul double cut, faded (2004)
    IMG_20190427_195254 (3).jpg

A little older LPDC
    6.2 lbs.
    It has a '50s neck profile (larger and rounded) that is nicely polished from use.
    The usual Gibson P90 goodness. N-8.01k, B-8.15k
    An excellent sounding and playing guitar.
    Every time I play this guitar I am reminded of my bandmate's LP, Jr. back in 1968. I was amazed at how he played all our songs with only one pickup! (I like having the neck pickup which is especially nice.)

Mark

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  10. dreamingtele

yessir!

Junior59 likes this.
  11. ritten70

ritten70 TDPRI Member

Double cut Jr’s are probably the most requested guitar out of our shop.

Attached Files:

12. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

My 2020 Special in worn brown was delivered today! I couldn't pull the trigger on the 2019 Junior because of the PG mounted jack. Was getting ready to buy the 202 Junior and decided that I would miss the neck pickup too much. I like the current pickguard over the classic double cut Special pickguard.

There are some cost-cutting measures (like all of the routing being from the front instead of routing both sides), but I like it. Haven't seen any finish issues, but I am going to have to dress the fret ends as it has some major fret sprout going on! The bridge pickup seems a bit anemic, but that's an easy fix if I decide it needs it. Oiled the fretboard cuz it was pretty dry. It needs new strings, out of the box, so I'll go pick up a new set of Slinkies tomorrow. It's lighter than my Epi Dot.

I read online that you can get a lot more out of a used USA guitar than the current Specials and Juniors, but, after months of watching, all I have found in a similar price range has been a couple of modded SGs. I'm not an SG fan. Even LP Studios go for $750+, so I'm happy with my $599 Special. At the full $999 msrp, yeah, I would have bought a used Studio, the upcoming Epi single cut, or a PRS SE.

Given the choice, I would still buy the Gibson over a PRS SE. The SEs are nice. I was GASsing over the SE One a few years back, but decided against it.

Now I have my first Gibson and my first USA-made guitar that I didn't build myself.

13. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I luv doublecuts.

With or without the bling.
    IMG_20160329_135809.jpg

and I like Juniors...
    IMG_20200218_103750.jpg
    IMG_20160602_142558.jpg

14. dreamingtele

thats pretty!!!

Junior59 likes this.
  15. dreamingtele

thank you!

On the PRS, i wanted the Santana SE as it is a double cut shape, but its in HB thats why i dont want to pull the trigger.

i’m now seeing the things I want in the 2020 version. Yes, I also want the jack on the side of the body instead of the PG, but I can deal with it. Full price, they’re still a bit expensive and I can only afford a used one.

Junior59 likes this.
  16. dreamingtele

Junior59 likes this.
  17. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

That's one cool Junior! I can see why they are highly requested. Keep up the good work!

Junior59 likes this.
  18. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

I like the older Santana with the wraparound bridge.....not really interested in a Strat trem on a Junior style guitar. I just couldn't bond with the thick poly finish on the PRS SE. The only Epi Special with a set neck and P90s that I've run across had neck issues that kept me from buying it. Looks like they have one out now and a single cut Junior on the way soon. Same kind of finish as the SE, if you can deal with that.

Lots of companies make HB sized P90s. My Epi Dot might end up getting HB size P90s, though I do like the Seymour Duncan Hot Rod set it currently has so maybe I'll end up doing a 335-style kit build with P90s. Going rate for a used Santana seems to be about $350US. The local GC has a used '19 Junior on the wall for $899(!).

Junior59 likes this.
  19. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

If I sold 2 guitars I could afford this.. or part out one and sell the esquire.. I already have a pf200.. I don't need it... until tax returns come in at least ;)

Junior59 likes this.
  20. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

A few years back I wanted a Gibson LP Junior but didn't have the funds at the time so picked up this Hamer for next to nothing. I'd really like one of the new Gibson 2 pickup versions so something else is going to have to go -- but I won't part with the Hamer.

20190423_222256.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.