Les Paul Jr with neck pickup. Build or buy?

Jerry garrcia

Tele-Meister
I’m planning on getting me a LP Jr but want a CC pickup (have one that would fit in place of a P-90 or HB) in the neck position and a regular bridge P-90. This is just for making it more versatile to be able to handle rock and jazz. The Lennon variant is a BIT over my price range.
I don’t care much for the regular Les Paul since I think it’s ugly.
A double cut looks the nicest but what I’ve read that it is hard to place the neck pickup in the optimal position on a double cut due to neck stability issues.

Don’t care for brands and just want a good guitar that has the playability and sound that can make it the LP model to complete my guitar collection with regards to different sounds. Have a tele variant, a vintage epiphone wilshire, an ES-150, a westville semi-hollow and a 17” archtop from -52. All of them have CC Pickups of course. (Except for the wilshire).

So what should I do? Any inputs are highly appreciated. Should I buy a kit from precision guitar, a cheap 200$ kit, Harley Benton, an epiphone, any particular Chinese variant or what? Best value for money (wife not so happy with the spending on a vast variety of amps and guitars) with focus on quality, two pickups possibilities and most preferably a double cut in vintage cherry. Can do a bit of wood work, nitro painting and electronics but don’t have the tools to build one from scratch.
Living I Sweden.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Do you know anything about the quality of that guitar? Compared to a Gibson. The pickups will be changed anyway.
If you want comparison to Gibson? Price or quality. Because those are becoming two totally different things lately. Look for a higher end epiphone at this point. I recently got a newer epiphone sg (sg special with p90s).

I noticed they stopped printing their serials and etch it like Gibson. At first I kinda laughed. But that guitar rocks. No neck dive, actually good p90s. Felt right. I’ve played worse gibsons. Will it outplay all gibsons? No. But at what $400 NEW. it’s a hell of a buy. Idk what their LP Jr. lineup looks like. But I’d recommend looking into the new epiphone lines.

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Don’t know about the LP Jr but Epiphone makes several models with bolt on necks. You might find something used where you like the body and color. If you don’t like the neck replace it. Sounds like you’re already going to replace the pickups and possibly electronics. A bridge swap might be wanted/needed as well.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I love my Epiphone LP Jr, never thought of a neck pickup in it but it's a great guitar. Mines a 2013 model.
IMG_20220219_135321472.jpg

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity
Do you know anything about the quality of that guitar? Compared to a Gibson. The pickups will be changed anyway.

+1 Harley Benton. Their pickups are quite good. General path should be if you find you want a different tone: adjust pickup heights and bass/treble tip by ear, measure actual and swap pots 'n caps, last is swap pickups. Pots 'n caps impact the tone even when the knobs are 'dimed'.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Why not start with an LP Special or Melody Maker that is already routed and wired for a neck pickup?

The easiest one to mod would probably be the Gibson DC Tribute Special or Junior because of the pickguard mounted pickups. It is also one of the least expensive Gibsons on the used market, because many don't like the pickguard. I love my Junior!

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
Why not start with an LP Special or Melody Maker that is already routed and wired for a neck pickup?

The easiest one to mod would probably be the Gibson DC Tribute Special or Junior because of the pickguard mounted pickups. It is also one of the least expensive Gibsons on the used market, because many don't like the pickguard. I love my Junior!
+1 on a Les Paul Special being a logical starting point. I'll add that if you're considering a Harley Benton, you should also consider Epiphone. The current "Inspired by Gibson" Specials and Juniors are exceptional, so much so that they're getting hard to find (the Special in particular).

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

Agreed. Sounds like a DC Special is what you're looking for, and you can get them for a pretty good price used.

Mine needed a little paint work, but I got it for just under 500 bucks.

dc-white.jpg

- D

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The Gibby LP Jr Tribute is the double cut single pickup but they almost all have a neck pickup rout under the guard.
Stratosphere has them as husks so you can see the routing and assemble your way.
They are really quite nice, I offered $600 out the door at GC a few years ago but they declined

Jerry garrcia

Tele-Meister
Agreed. Sounds like a DC Special is what you're looking for, and you can get them for a pretty good price used.

Mine needed a little paint work, but I got it for just under 500 bucks.

dc-white.jpg

- D
I think that to. Just have to check and wait until some is out on the market for a reasonable price. Thanks all

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I think that to. Just have to check and wait until some is out on the market for a reasonable price. Thanks all

That's how I got mine! It was on Craig's List for a hundred dollars more, but the paint job was so horrible it just sat there. I waited in the weeds until the price dropped and grabbed it.

Good Luck! Specials are great little guitars, totally not like a regular LP.

- D

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
If you've read any of my threads you will know I would just build exactly what I want. There are several permutations of the "les paul junior" and as you know the neck joint can be problematic. Plans are available for both single and double cut, and Melvyn Hiscock discusses the neck joint and geometry. There have been several build threads lately, its not a difficult guitar.

Jerry garrcia

Tele-Meister
If you've read any of my threads you will know I would just build exactly what I want. There are several permutations of the "les paul junior" and as you know the neck joint can be problematic. Plans are available for both single and double cut, and Melvyn Hiscock discusses the neck joint and geometry. There have been several build threads lately, its not a difficult guitar.
Thanks. Have mostly been in the amp forums. I will find those threads.

jayyj

Tele-Afflicted
Might be worth looking at Gordon Smith guitars in the UK - they make a great LP Junior style guitar, will customise as required and would happily accomodate a CC in the neck position for you.

Jerry garrcia

Tele-Meister
Might be worth looking at Gordon Smith guitars in the UK - they make a great LP Junior style guitar, will customise as required and would happily accomodate a CC in the neck position for you.
Thanks, will do that. Have already a pickup but they might then prepare the cavity and routing. Will check! Hopefully it's not that expensive at Gordon Smith.

Edit: Just a bit to expensive for this project. At those prices I can get a used gibson special DC. Thanks anyway

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
I’m planning on getting me a LP Jr but want a CC pickup (have one that would fit in place of a P-90 or HB) in the neck position and a regular bridge P-90. This is just for making it more versatile to be able to handle rock and jazz. The Lennon variant is a BIT over my price range.
I don’t care much for the regular Les Paul since I think it’s ugly.
A double cut looks the nicest but what I’ve read that it is hard to place the neck pickup in the optimal position on a double cut due to neck stability issues.

Don’t care for brands and just want a good guitar that has the playability and sound that can make it the LP model to complete my guitar collection with regards to different sounds. Have a tele variant, a vintage epiphone wilshire, an ES-150, a westville semi-hollow and a 17” archtop from -52. All of them have CC Pickups of course. (Except for the wilshire).

So what should I do? Any inputs are highly appreciated. Should I buy a kit from precision guitar, a cheap 200$ kit, Harley Benton, an epiphone, any particular Chinese variant or what? Best value for money (wife not so happy with the spending on a vast variety of amps and guitars) with focus on quality, two pickups possibilities and most preferably a double cut in vintage cherry. Can do a bit of wood work, nitro painting and electronics but don’t have the tools to build one from scratch.
Living I Sweden.
What's a CC pickup??