1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul jr. Tele conversion

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Taylorb, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Taylorb

Taylorb TDPRI Member

Does anyone know of any examples where a slab body les Paul had tele hardware installed. I found a used epiphone LP special for cheap that I'm thinking about giving it a shot on. Main issues I might run into?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen some for sale, I think there are several companies that make them.

The problem with an LP Special is that the stock bridge sits much higher, so you'll have to get the tele saddles very high, and you won't be able to get the pickup that close to the strings. I don't think it's a good idea.

3. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

The Epiphone likely has a bolt on neck though, so the neck angle can be changed to better accommodate the tele bridge.

Taylorb likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

It's funny you should mention this "blending" of guitar models.....I've been considering putting together a Tele-shaped body, with a Gibson-scale Tele-style neck, a "lightning bolt" wrap-around bridge, and a P-90. I really like the Tele-style body and neck, but also love both my 1960 Les Paul Jr and my PRS SE One.
    Good luck!.....and be sure to post any results. ;)

djh22 likes this.
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Couldn’t one just fabricate a metal shim to go under the bridge plate? Make it as thick as needed?

RomanS and Taylorb like this.
  6. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i know it's none of my business, but i'd like to register my disgust at the thought of this abomination online because that is what the internet is for.

theprofessor likes this.
  7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

As several have mentioned, the geometry is wrong. If it is a screwed on neck that could be corrected, a set neck will be difficult. The string spacing at the bridge may be wrong. You will have to fill holes and redrill or route for the new bridge. The pickups may be at the wrong height. LP's have 12 inch radius f/b, fenders a lot less....

It can probably be MacGuivered, but why?

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Why not?

pigaphone.jpg

Dan German likes this.
  9. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

I love the LP Jr DC shape. This is set neck with no angle though.
    I say get out your hammer and do it!
    DSC01422.JPG

10. Mr. E

Mr. E Tele-Holic

I had Special II and a cheap Junior as my first guitars. They both had shims. I remember removing them cause I thought it was just piece of wood that was left there during assembly. It looked like a worn out popsicle stick. I didn't know any better. Anyways, it screwed with my neck angle for TOM and wraparound bridges. I'm sure you can get the neck angle to work if you remove them.

11. Taylorb

Taylorb TDPRI Member

Thanks for the opinions and responses. I love the look of it in the examples and would like to have a different neck shape sometimes. I'd probably be happier just putting a fatter neck on my tele but I like to tinker too much.

12. Taylorb

Taylorb TDPRI Member

[QUOTE="It can probably be MacGuivered, but why?[/QUOTE]

Because
    And he's my hero

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

Agile made one. Currently unavailable. I bought mine used.

[​IMG]

14. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Fender just did the opposite for 2021

[​IMG]

nojazzhere and Taylorb like this.
  15. Taylorb

Taylorb TDPRI Member

That could work to preserve the angle of the neck. I did like the idea of Moving the neck better though. Just to reduce weight and bulkiness. I work at an iron shop with a lot of scrap though so I may resort to that.

16. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure you're aware of this, but since the LP Junior is 24.75" scale length and a Tele neck has frets spaced for 25.5", then you'll have to reposition the Junior's wrap-around bridge compared to its current position, or if installing a Tele bridge, mount it to give the Fender scale length. The latter would probably be the easier option, but you'll have the 2 holes for the Epi bridge inserts on the face of the body to fill and hide.

Taylorb likes this.
  17. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Why not just use a plate for the pickup and keep the LP bridge? I did this to my SG and is my main guitar in a couple of bands

[​IMG]

18. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

There's the Cort Sunset...

[​IMG]

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

"Oh, please dont! It hurts me right in the feelz!"

[huge eye roll] Suck it up, cupcake. If your mommy told you life was supposed to be fair, she was grossly misinformed.

Why not try it? I made one about 10 years ago from a pine slab as an experiment. It was a screw-on neck, flat slab body with no neck angle, and a Tele-style bridge. Basically a Telecaster with a 24.75" scale neck and a body shaped like a single-cut Junior. I liked it. I had guitar player pals who thought it was an abomination; I didn't lose any sleep over it, but I'll bet they did :twisted:

nojazzhere and Taylorb like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.