1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul Jr. Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Swee_tone, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown TDPRI Member

This $140 Craig's List find quickly became my favourite guitar. Bolt on neck, laminated body, tone out the ying yang, sustains forever, unbelievable fun to play.

Attached Files:

2. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

+1 .... just as Duffy says

Whoa!! Leave well alone. You say how much you like it as it is.

If you do add the extra pickup, will you be providing the extra Volume and Tone control etc., c/w the additional pots and wiring, and the extra routing needed, as per the Les Paul 'Special', the 'Juniors' big brother?

Sadly, the end result may not be good, other than for yourself, which is of course is totally fine ....... but should you tire of what you have done, you'll be left with something that no-one else is likely to want.....:confused:

Rather, keep on playing your Junior and continue becoming familiar with its many nuances. These things are like chameleons, and can change colours just in the way you play 'em, or what your mood might be at that moment ....Sheesh!! Don't do it!! ....:D

3. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Totally agreed.

The tone control on my 2015, with the junk auto tuners stripped off and manual Grover tuners put on, is really a remarkable control knob. It works all the way thru the sweep of the radius of the turn of the knob. I think it is the best tone control on any guitar I own.

The volume control works really well too and is sensitive.

I can get a lot of different tones out of this guitar and when I turn the tone down to bass I can even play high gain without a lot of P90 noise. When playing on clean I can open up the tone control to full treble and get a super great sound, like I'm doing right now into my Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI (black control panel), made in USA.

It is really a remarkable guitar the way it is, and is a very unique guitar with a lot of classic character.

Good luck with yours and I'm sure you are digging it.

4. Gibsongrrl

Gibsongrrl TDPRI Member

Here's my 2007 Junior. He's friends with my tele. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Mine's a 2007 too! :)

[​IMG]

6. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Following your analogy, your LP Junior/Tele picture is cute/handsome. Ha ha.

7. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Epiphone Les Paul Special

[​IMG]

8. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

I dig that stealthy LP Special. What year is that one. It looks very new. I'd like to get one before they put the gforce junk auto tuners on them.

9. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    :D

Attached Files:

10. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Another lucky find that I managed to snag a month or so ago. A 1989 "Orville by Gibson" Les Paul Junior. In overall excellent condition and once again another wonderful player to add to the gang.

MIJ, these are a beautifully made version of the LP Junior. Whats not to like? ......the LP Junior P90 addiction continues.......;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vates likes this.
  11. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

It's brand new 2015. I just got it this week at the local GC.

12. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

That is one sweet looking 'Special' you have there vintage clubber. What is the official name of that colour? Looks to be a 'Pewter' like finish.
    Not seen one like that before. I like it! More photos.

13. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I didn't have a P90 guitar, so I turned this...

[​IMG]

Into this...

[​IMG][​IMG]

It actually exceeded my expectations. Definitely a keeper!

14. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

I don't tend to like the appearance of a regular full sized humbucker on a Les Paul Junior, and the "unsightly" zebra HB is downright blasphemous and "cross dressed" looking. Pitiful.

I really dig the guitar though; it is just plain beautiful and your replacement pickup idea is really cool. You have absolutely "rescued" this Gibson LP Jr from another one of Gibson's recent corporate ridiculous design manifestations that somehow made it into production. Great job of coming to the rescue.

This is going to be a seriously nice LP Junior when you're finished with it.

15. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Wow! More than nice. This is a really awesome looking guitar. I would love to have one of these. Do they currently make these?

Remarkable . . . What kind of pickup is that? I have never seen a P90 rigged up like that. Is that a chrome covered P90 in a mini humbucker pickup ring?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  16. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Two beautiful guitars.

17. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

These, I mean, are two beautiful guitars.

I have one LP Jr - a new 2015 one that I stripped off the junk gforce auto tuners from, and replace that junk with some awesome Grover Roto-Grip locking Rotomatics. Great locking tuners, 18:1 and really smooth. They added a great artistic quality back into the LP Jr design that the gforce auto locking toy like garbage defaced.

I want to get another LP or SG Junior, absolutely. I just bought a new Taylor 150e acoustic electric twelve string though - another totally awesome guitar, really remarkable. I always wanted a twelve string and now I finally have a real nice one. It has higher series features only found on the more expensive series Taylor's, incorporated into its design - like the preamp/pickup system, the Expression 2 version with two microphone type'ish pickups; one attached inside the body and the other under the fretboard. It sounds awesome thru my new Blackheart HT5-RH (reverb/head) into my Avatar vintage style cabinet (all black - stealth) with gold piping, loaded with twin Eminence "Swamp Thang" super sensitive, loud, clean, clear, tight bass and great mids and highs, speakers.

The Taylor twelve string is the fulfillment of a dream I have had for many, many years; something like being able to get a really nice vintage burst Gibson LP Junior P90 guitar. Taylor definitely knows how to make guitars.

I have a Martin SPD16-W, solid wood, walnut body, Sitka Spruce top, '02 unelectrified acoustic that has a beautiful aged amber tinted top. It has mojo and is a great sounding guitar. Even though the Taylor twelve string 150e is way lower on the food chain, it rolls with the Martin as a super beautiful guitar with awesome tone and the plugged in tone is also great. The best plugged in sounding acoustic I've ever played and I haven't even tried it thru my acoustic amp yet. Next I'll try it thru m '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue and I'm sure that its super clean foundation sound will again show how beautiful the Taylor sounds.

I didn't know that the tech can take the neck off of Taylor acoustics with just a few bolts. Great idea and it is a great feeling and playing neck. Taylor's neck design is really a remarkable feature. This Taylor only cost me 677 brand new, out the door of a big internet place after a great discount for being a loyal customer; "A" stock too. Super beautiful and one of the best guitars I have ever purchased, along with, of course, my LP Junior. I got a good deal on that too. The Gibson dude told me that installing the Grover manual locking tuners "did not" void the warranty. I had it done by an authorized Gibson repair tech, even though they were direct drop in's that only required drilling set screw holes on the back of the headstock. It was an easy mod that I could have done myself.

I am totally happy with my 2015 LP Jr and the other features like the script on the headstock and the hologram do not bother me at all. I don't look at them, ever, anyway. I also bought the guitar for "me" and will never be selling it, so I'm happy and that's the way it's going to roll.

18. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

They could make and sell them by the truckloads!!

19. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

How about a Seymour Duncan "Dimebucker" twin rail HB? That would be a stealth guitar.

What would really go nice in there is one of those full size humbucker P90's, of premium quality rather than that GFS material. Duncan makes a nice one and so does Gibson.

20. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

This *was* a late 50s Junior ... then someone routed it for humbuckers

[​IMG]

Had planned to convert back to a Jr, but the repair guy (the awesome Gord Miller of GM Vintage Restorations) suggested turning it into an awesome Special.

[​IMG]

jiveturkey1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.