1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul Jr. Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Swee_tone, Jun 13, 2009.

1. vaillantk

vaillantk TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have an 09 or early 10. SB, nitro finish, but not glossy. I got it as a "used/mint" from Muaician's Friend. It cost about $600. Once I did the these upgrades, it became "one you keep forever" - 1) the bridge on Any LP Jr. model MUST be replaced - I ordered an aluminum wrap-around with adjustable saddles from Stewac- just popped it on, didn't even replace included in-body threaded posts. Instant Tone Machine ! 2) I replaced the dog-ear pup with a Lindy Fralin P-90 "stack" pup, 5% overwound - this cuts out 95% of the noise, while sounding as good or better than the Gibby pup.3) lastly, I put a real "Bumble Bee" tone cap in, same one Gibson puts in the $2000+ reissues. Probably more than you wanted to know, but IMHO, # 1 bridge replacement is Essential, # 2 & 3 are "nice to haves"
    Enjoy ! -vaillantk

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

2. drett

drett TDPRI Member

I'm not much of a Gibson fan, but I love--absolutely love--the double cutaway LP juniors. Never played one but I'm talking purely looks. Seems to me, that's what PRS took it's inspiration from in creating a whole new high-end brand. The original Gibsons, though, have a simple, elegant look that can't be duplicated. Honestly, I own mostly cheap guitars that I've modded into "good" ones, but if I have a dream of a more high-end instrument, it's a Gibbie double cutaway special in semi-transparent TV-yellow. Love them.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

boy, mine sure didnt

I had nothing but bad news with that thing.

Maybe I got a bad one.

4. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I had a very different experience with my Melody Maker with the wraparound bridge.

My MM RI seemed to have intonation issues, so I tried a variety of compensated bridges, most of which didnt fit.

The one that did was a compensated aluminium one from Germany.Beautifully engineered, looked fabulous.

Brought the guitar in tune with itself , but wrecked its tone!!!

I ended up putting the heavy Gibson bridge back on, after filing the end slots a bit deeper so it sat further forward.

5. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

LP JR

Hi
    I'd like to join. I have a 1960 LP JR.
    Paul

Attached Files:

6. SolidbdyJazzfan

SolidbdyJazzfan Tele-Holic

Here's my modified Epi Junior bought 3/6/98 from Guitar Center Sherman Oaks (so it may be a '97 model). The pickups are Carvin M-22s, which I like a lot. I upgraded the tuners to cheap Schallers, then Pings.

[​IMG]

The resident "Inspector General," Gary, is shown inspecting it:

[​IMG]

When I routed for the pickups I found the body to be laminated, but it's very dense wood. This is a fairly heavy guitar.

7. lawlesswjj

lawlesswjj TDPRI Member

I had one of those bridges, and it was okay, but it was so close to the pickup that I couldn't get the unwound ball end of the string into the bridge once the guitar was strung up. Bad deal if I busted a high e. They're fairly low profile though, aren't they? Is there any danger that lowering the bridge more would make the strings hit the pickup cover? I'm just going off of my Junior as reference. And last question... Are the frets warn down a bunch? I mean, a good jumbo refret might give you the height you need if it's pretty close. I can't say enough good about putting jumbo stainless frets on my Esquire. String bends are stupid-smooth, and high end came out more without it being tinny or harsh.

Otherwise, I think that the Hipshot babygrand is lower profile, and am almost sure the Wilkinson adjustable stop tailpiece is lower than the badass. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I went with the Schaller 456, and everybody tells me how ugly they think the fine tuners are. But I like it! Good luck!

Attached Files:

8. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Attached Files:

9. No-Name

No-Name TDPRI Member

I have been thinking about getting one of those to mod. move the output jack to the side like on a Junior, and then putting a varitone switch where jack had been.

10. vibrasonic

I like the pigtail wraparound. There a little more expensive but well worth the money. I put one on my 64 SG JR it looks and sounds great, very lightwieght and resonant. Lots of room between the body and tailpiece.

11. lawlesswjj

lawlesswjj TDPRI Member

Yeah, I have heard some wonkey things about the pigtail in some dark corner of the net that I can't remember, but I know a guy who worked with and was taught as a machinist by the pigtail designer. Can't remember his name right off, but I heard from the guy I know that the pigtail fellow knew his stuff, and he made everything that he touched pretty high quality. I've also heard that the designer passed away, and that maybe the new pigtails aren't what they once were. No clue if that's true or not. If the alloy is good, and it gets solid bridge post contact, what could be the problem? Jr. guys, do chime in on this one if you know the deal. I'm just not feeling like going on a googling spree right at present.

12. lawlesswjj

lawlesswjj TDPRI Member

Okay, I lied about the googling spree. Here's what the pigtail site says about the bridge:
    "Our new Intonatable Tailpiece is a direct retrofit for Gibson, Epiphone PRS, PRS Import, Hamer, and Hamer Import guitars with non-intonatable wrap-around bridges. Will also work as a direct replacement for low neck angle/low neck set guitars such as PRS and Early Les Paul/Les Paul Jr's. It is constructed of lightweight aluminum with plated brass screws and is easily one third of the weight of similar bridges on the market (averages 40 to 42 grams in weight). Now you can have the great vintage tone of a wrap around bridge and an intonated guitar. Relict finish available as special order."

I'm assuming the "low neck angle" guitars thing is referring to the bridges low profile. Sounds like just what somebody would need if they wanted to drop the strings down over the fingerboard. But again, I don't know for sure.

13. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Funny, I haven't checked in here in awhile... I guess my ears were burning.

I bought a Pigtail bridge to replace the Badass, but haven't found the money to get it installed and setup right just yet. Comparing on the Stew-Mac page, the Pigtail does have the lowest profile of all the adjustable bridges.

I'll check back in later for sure. Vibrasonic, did you replace the posts as well? Someone told me the TonePros locking posts were worth looking into...

14. vibrasonic

Yes. They work quite well. A bit of a PITA to adjust up and down. The pigtail is very nice. My 64 SG JR's intonation was pretty bad before the change.
    The PT sounds great

Cheers
    Paul

15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

As a guy who gigs a Jr. constantly, for all kinds of music, and never has an issue with any of it, I think we should re-name this club:

The "Neck Pickups Are For Sissies Club".:lol:

Mine is a 2010 in Yellow. I've had others and didn't keep them. I've learned my lesson. If I can't do it on my Jr., I don't need to be doing it.

16. lawlesswjj

lawlesswjj TDPRI Member

Funny you should say. I even "Esquired" my Tele. :D

17. MahoganyMan11

MahoganyMan11 Tele-Meister

I have a Epi. jr that im about to REALLY change.
    Specs: single tail piece
    1 humbucker
    Black to orange burst(standard)

what im aiming to do is, fill the pup hole and bridge hole, strip the paint, veneer it, cut a new pup hole, and bridge hole farther forward, and put a Jackson style 24 fret Eden guitar neck on it. its gonna be sweeeeet!

18. lawlesswjj

lawlesswjj TDPRI Member

Still Juniorish... Refinished it in straight up clear nitro in the shop, put on an unpictured ebony headstock veneer, and routed for a Lollar Imperial. The usual tone knob is a volume for the slug side of the pickup, with the normal volume knob being an overall master volume control. It's pretty quacky and chimey as a single. I recommend trying the setup to anyone who doesn't find a tone knob essential in a single hum guitar like this.

Also, the bridge was always too close to the pickup (especially when the p-90 was in), and you couldn't restring the top three strings if you broke one. The ball end just wouldn't go between the pickup and the bridge. The schaller 456 fixed that nicely. I know some people think it "ain't right," but I dig it. The brass saddles sound dandy, and the preslotting is clean and functional. Some preslotted bridges I've seen can be a little sharp or the machine work isn't that spot on, so you're pretty much sawing on your strings and it's a matter of time before they pop.

Attached Files:

19. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

In the club!

[​IMG]

20. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Double Cut Away Set Neck

Heres my Epiphone JR Double Cut Away. Set Neck from Samick Factory 1995.
    It's up for grabs if anyone is interested......PM me....much love.x

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.