1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul Jr. Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Swee_tone, Jun 13, 2009.

1. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

From the 1970s American sitcom TV show Laverne & Shirley. Lenny and the Squigtones.

Fullscan likes this.
  2. bluespenny

bluespenny TDPRI Member

I love these owner's clubs, and came here to read about juniors, enjoy the chat, and possibly post my own guitars. But the plethora of dead photo links, and dead links in general... It ruins this owner's group, IMHO. If you're someone who is a prolific poster, to the point that you dominate a group like this, please maintain your links and photos, or it makes for 25 pages of frustration.

tonyj likes this.
  3. Foxguy

Foxguy TDPRI Member

I'm in!
    2020 in Vintage Tobacco Burst.

[​IMG]

Wyzsard and tce63 like this.
  4. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

HNGD, Congrats, My is a 2018 :)

Foxguy likes this.
  5. BadTranslate

Just read this article about this guy trying to track down his sunburst Gibson Les Paul Junior. Hope he finds it one day!

The serial number is: 03394300

Pop-punk rocker looking for long-lost guitar he sold at Portland Denny’s for cigarettes (bangordailynews.com)

"PORTLAND, Maine Dec. 23, 2020 — Toby McAllister needs a favor. If you own a Gibson Les Paul Jr. electric guitar, take a look at the serial number. It might be the one he’s searching for.

McAllister, a local musician who got a taste of the big time more than a decade ago with Sparks the Rescue, sold the guitar in a restaurant parking lot while desperate for money in 2013. A gift from his father, he immediately regretted the move. He’s been hoping to find the instrument for years. Now, with help from a pawn shop, he’s located the serial number. McAllister is hoping it’s just the thing to help bring it back to him.

“I feel like this is definitely progress,” he said.

McAllister formed Sparks the Rescue while still in Poland Regional High School in 1999. The power-pop punk ensemble went on to record several albums and travel the world on the Warped Tour, sharing the stage with bands like The All-American Rejects and Sum 41. In 2009, Sparks the Rescue won the “I Want My Music On MTV” competition. Two of their best known songs include “We Love Like Vampires” and a cover of Lady A’s “Need You Now.”

McAllister said the band definitely tasted success but that doesn’t mean they were rich. It was quite the opposite. In those days, he was touring eight months out of the year. It was an expensive undertaking and he was perpetually broke.

“Before leaving on tour, I would always look around for stuff I could sell to get money for food and cigarettes,” he said.

In 2013, McAllister sold the guitar to one of his fans for $500, in a Denny’s parking lot on Congress Street in Portland. He autographed the back for her and wrote the band name in silver Sharpie, sweetening the deal.

McAllister immediately began to lament the deed.

“I probably blew it all in two weeks,” he said.

The simple, one pickup guitar had been a gift from his father, given at the start of his professional career.

“It has a lot of sentimental value,” he said. “I feel so guilty and regretful for selling it.”

By the time McAllister got back in touch with the fan in 2014, she’d sold it to York County Trading Co., a pawn shop in Sanford. Someone bought it there, in a cash deal, the same year. That’s where the trail went cold — until this week.

That’s when the shop was able to locate a copy of the original pawn receipt, including the guitar’s serial number: 03394300.

“I already have it memorized,” McAllister said.

He’s taken to social media to try and get the word out. Now living in Mechanic Falls with a wife, new baby and a dog, McAllister is still a well-known musician. He’s still playing with Sparks, as a solo act and with the Jameson Four. McAllister’s current fans are helping with the search."

Toby McAllister (@tobymcallister) • Instagram photos and videos

Toby McAllister (@sparksthetoby) / Twitter

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    tce63 likes this.
  6. BadTranslate

Nash guitars re-did an SG Junior in shell pink for Mesa Boogie. Pretty cool :cool:

Wyzsard and tce63 like this.
  7. BadTranslate

Can't believe how much work this guy put into making his Junior. It was originally a 2015 Gibson CM Les Paul w/ robut tuners. Pretty awesome!

tce63 likes this.
  8. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

tce63 likes this.
  9. BadTranslate

Crook Custom Guitars makes a couple Juniors called 'TG'.

I became aware of them from seeing John Fogerty play one of their guitars, a Telecaster, in one of his family band videos on Youtube.

TG Butterscotch specs:

Neck: 2-Piece Maple

Radius: 7 1/4-9 1/2 compound

Fretwire: 6105

Shape: .830 -C

Nut Width: 1.650

Tuners: Vintage Style Gotoh

Body Wood: Lightweight Swamp Ash

Finish Color: Butterscotch

Pickguard: Black

Pickup: Fralin Hum-canceling P-90 2% Overwound

Bridge: Rutters Half Bridge

Saddles: Rutters Compensated

Wiring: Master volume and tone

TG Single Cut specs:

Neck: 2-Piece Mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard

Radius: 7 1/4-9 1/2 compound

Fretwire: 6105

Shape: .Fatback

Nut Width: 1.650

Tuners: Vintage Style Gotoh

Scale length: 24 3/4

Body Wood: Lightweight Mahogany

Finish Color: Cherry red

Pickup: Kinman, hum-cancelling P-90

Bridge: Mojoaxe compensated wraparound

Wiring: Master volume and tone

tce63 likes this.
  10. BadTranslate

Just came across one of these 2018 Gibson SG Junior Limited Runs at a local shop. Killer guitar! The old school headstock logo took me off guard and made me curious as to what year it was.

tce63 likes this.
  11. BadTranslate

12. Fullscan

Fullscan TDPRI Member

Does this forum include Maestro Les Paul Juniors?
    Here are mine...one sunburst, one white.

I put volume only plus the jack on the front for the sunburst.
    The back is a bellycut and some "distressing".
    It's set up for 3 string guitar currently, and the rubber bands
    in the headstock keeps the empty tuning keys from vibrating.

The white one is for prototyping (see the back).
    You might recognize the front plastics; which is for the backs of LPs.
    They are there as "knockouts" for electronics, but there's nothing under them currently.
    It is strung up as a 4 string with my idea for something to bend the B string...
    that red thing is the straw from a can of WD40, and some bridge parts at the end. bigpic3stringguit.jpeg image0.jpeg image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image3.jpeg

13. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

I like it, pretty bold and inventive. 3 and 4 string for slide or lasiness ? :lol:

Fullscan likes this.
  14. Fullscan

Fullscan TDPRI Member

Thanks...I'm setting them up as 3 & 4 string Open G tuning for my grandchildren. My theory is if I can get them playing a 2 chord song on the 3 string one, then they could move up to 4 string, etc. Plus it will give them some weight lifting exercise....these plywood suckers are heavy!!!

tce63 and DrBGood like this.
  15. BadTranslate

The Harley Benton DC Junior FAT is nice. Has a stacked P-90 pickup which is controlled by a push/pull tone knob means the pickup can either be used as a P-90 or a humbucker.

Fullscan likes this.
  16. BakoSound

BakoSound TDPRI Member

0DAF9934-5307-4FBB-848A-8F4DE9BF846F.jpeg
    Both ‘97 J series. A Duncan Antiquity in the TV Yellow and a Lollar in the Black. Various other mods: Gibson vintage style tuners, CTS pots, orange drops... both sound like rock and roll should!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  17. BadTranslate

The guitar in the video has one off the oddest Gibson tops I've seen. Pause at :53. Half straight grain and half wavy. I'm surprised Gibson made no effort to match the grain up.

Trogly from YouTube said he likes guitars like this (weird lines in the wood, etc.) because it makes them easy to identify if they get stolen ;)

tce63 likes this.
  18. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Why is the friggin brick wall undulating ? I feel sick.

But that top is to die for !

19. BadTranslate

Sweetwater has a couple of the Gibson Ebony Les Paul Juniors demo models $149 off in their Dealzone section. The guitars won't show up doing a regular search of their site but you can find them here: https://www.sweetwater.com/dealzone/ They have fine scratches, overspray, chips, etc. I just bought a Sweetwater demo guitar off Craigslist. Found it to be totally fine. It's just got a few small fine scratches in places that aren't very obvious (lower rear of the guitar and on the headstock).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.