1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul Jr. Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Swee_tone, Jun 13, 2009.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Love the yellow one. I was hoping they would do a re-issue with the double cutaway. Or have the new "Melody Maker" be a double cut.

BTW, what's up with that new MM? It's Special with a thinner body. I had an original MM with the oddball single coil pups and weird pick guard. Never should have gotten rid of it, but since I traded it for a '65 Pontiac convertible, I guess I can't complain.

I recently saw that someone is making those original pickups, so I suppose I could build one if I really wanted to.

2. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

The manual helps. I'll probably never use the user presets or capo function. But I do love quick switching between standard and open E,G and D tunings. Had to get the yellow one because:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446238071.119958.jpg

3. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Put calipers on the neck. 1 13/16" at the zero fret. That's wide. My vintage Tele necks are 1 5/8". 3/16" difference doesn't sound like much, but it is.

Still, I'm loving the tone.

4. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The TV has a huge neck that I love.

5. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I don't know if I've posted this one already (too lazy to look through the entire thread) but here's my beat-up 1959 Les Paul Junior. It used to be a TV model before the previous owner stripped it down, added new tuners, bridge and Tele knobs. I moved the strap pin to the lower horn (it should always have been that way, IMO) and put in another bridge. With all respect to Lou Reed, this is a rock n' roll animal; sounds like heaven and hell through a Marshall amp.

[​IMG]

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

[​IMG]

Got mine this week on a Black Friday deal! It's a 2015. Plays great. The robot tuners are fine for the moment, unless they gain sentience and try to out-play me like a musical Skynet. That vintage-voiced (A5, bit more bite) P90 is GREAT. Really great. Plus the wide neck actually feels kinda... comforting!? A few finish flaws, mainly due to lazy masking work on the fretboard and the top of the headstock. But for the price and playability, it's worthy :)

tonyj and willhowl like this.
  7. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

I recently picked up this Epiphone for a US Grant or so, as an experiment to ensure that I could get on with a single pickup (I previously owned a Melody Maker with one P-90, which only had a volume control, no tone, and found it too limiting). So long as I have the tone control in addition to volume, it's all good.

I'll eventually upgrade to a setneck Junior someday, but I'm in no rush, as I own several Specials (a couple Gibsons and a Hamer) in addition to this Epiphone. Meanwhile, I'm in!

[​IMG]

8. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Great buy Matthias! As a P90 and 'LP Junior' enthusiast allow me to share your joy!! :D

I bought my 2015 (a 'woody' finish) a month or so ago. Lots to like, along with the odd but insignificant niggle. All in all far more plus's than minus's, and especially at the current 'blowout' prices ...... and that brilliant gold case is indeed a killer.

Btw the 'new' P90 is fine and thankfully not a hill of beans different to the 'regular' more vintage Gibson P90s that we have come to love so much.

A couple of nights ago my friend and I were 'jamming' with some original Les Paul Juniors that covered nearly 60 years of 'progress' - and oddly most of that so called 'progress' happened in 2015. (Our weapons of comparison ranged from 1956 to 2015).

Those Gibson LP Jrs (including an Orville by Gibson Jr) proved to be excellent guitars, but the best ones were generally the older ones imo, although a well used 2010 model did earn a great deal of praise.

OK, you've had your fun Henry! Please .... no more messing around.

9. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Here's the latest evolution of my Epi Jr. w/Filtertron...........

Attached Files:

10. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

Got me another one , this was on sale , they wanted to move some non current inventory.

2015 "G" force tuning vintage sunburst Junior , if I decide the G force is too much hassle I'll replace it with standard tuners , in the meantime I'm liking it . Sounds great , plays great , looks great.
    [​IMG]

11. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

so, anyone in the les paul jr. club played an agile ad-201? i looked at a gibson les paul jr a while back but couldn't get along with the neck or the price tag. aesthetically, i really like the way an ad-201 looks. i'm curious if i'd like the rest of it.

12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am tempted by the Vintage v130, it is the double cut version.
    Anybody tried one of these?

13. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Within two weeks I stripped out the junk toy'ish Gforce gizmos out of my 2015 LP Jr. And put in a great set of Grover Rotomatic Roto Grip locking tuners with the locking wheel on the bottom of the tuners on it. It now stays in tune super well and looks great. They are smooth and accurate.

I really dig this guitar. It's incredible and really beautiful, feels great, plays easily, and has a great sound and tone. The P90 is quite quiet as well. One of my favorite guitars absolutely.

Congratulations on yours and good luck with it.

14. phx1973

phx1973 Tele-Meister

image.jpeg image.jpeg Picked mine up yesterday at guitar center. It's a used 2011 Gibson Les Paul Jr in Pelham blue. My first Gibson. I gotta tell you that although my Tele has always been my favorite, there is something special about this guitar. I really like it!

irie and savofenno like this.
  15. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

Sign me up , got mine today and I love it , got a mini bucker lying about , might fit it and try it , anyone done that mod ? image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

savofenno likes this.
  16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Played a 1961 SG LP Jr. as I was the singer and, like Bryan Adams, can't sing without a guitar to hide me ( actually hated being the front man but got the job too often). Our keyboard player was the owner and lent it to me during the duration of that band. I will never forget how good it sounded AND the control pot- such a variation of sounds from a simple 1 pup P-90
    guitar.
    Wish I had it now- would NEVER dream of selling it- that's a family heirloom.

savofenno likes this.
  17. phx1973

phx1973 Tele-Meister

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I got one of the Epi LP Jrs. about 2 years ago & have been using it for open tuning stuff. As I recall I paid less than $90US for this little beast and it was pretty astonishing. The fretwork was right on, had a fine slab of rosewood for a fingerboard, was set up well and plays very fine. The pickup, ok, it's not perfection, but it ain't all that bad. The tuners...well, maybe not so much, at least the set I got. So I sniped a set of Wilkinson keystone style tuners off of ebay and it's now, it's just a workhorse journeyman guitar.
    Epi LP jr 2014.jpg Epi LP jr hdstk.jpg

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  19. Ippon

Ippon Tele-Meister

20. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Gibson Les Paul Jr. Vs. humbucker Gibson Les Paul comparison. :)

P-90 with tone on 10 = humbucker bridge
    P-90 with tone on 4 = humbucker middle position
    P-90 with tone on 0 = humbucker neck

Phil X at Musicmesse performing with an SG Junior w/ single P-90 in the bridge.

BIGD5 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.