1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul Jr. Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Swee_tone, Jun 13, 2009.

1. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Not sure if Epiphone is still making them. You may want to do some searching. I got it used at Sam Ash for $50 last year. I replaced the stock humbucker with a Kent Armstrong HB size P90 and replaced the tuners. It's a direct fit for standard humbucker size.

2. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Ok, I got bored.

Attached Files:

3. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

1986 Re-issue. Stop tailpiece instead of wraparound. It came with a black pickguard and gold speed knobs which I changed to tortoise shell pickguard and black top hat knobs. Grover tuners which look stock.

I love this guitar.

[​IMG]

4. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

(L) 1960 ES-140T
    (R) 1958 3/4 Les Paul Jr

5. 72deluxe

72deluxe NEW MEMBER!

Anybody got one of these they wanna let go? Currently looking for a non custom shop junior. Let me know!

6. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Home-brew Jr. from a while back. I take this down and play it a lot at home, but don't usually take it to gig, where I need a bit more tone variety. I have Fender-style amps. Would love to put it through a Marshall at some point.

Korina body, chambered, with mahogany top, bolt-on Epiphone neck, Rose Pickups dog ear P-90.

Here it is posed with a Special I did the same way.

Attached Files:

7. dblues

dblues Tele-Afflicted

Those look nice. You don't need to wait for a Marshall amp, put a Fuzz or something in front of that Fender amp and rock out.

8. bluesplayer80

bluesplayer80 TDPRI Member

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1437024573.477846.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1437024601.543946.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1437024622.452276.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1437024649.479273.jpg

Barely 5 1/2 lbs.. The whole thing vibrates when strummed. Extremely loud unplugged..... And plugged in??? The most amazing tones you could ever imagine!! Extremely responsive volume and tone controls- all original and amazing. I knew as soon as I picked it up I had to have it.
    Early 63/late 62...

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  9. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

Stunning, love the early SG Juniors.

10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

For Les Paul guitars I generally prefer my 52-61 Standard models, but over the years I have picked up a few Junior and Special models. Here are some TVs.

I also have a while SG style.

[​IMG]

11. Strange Ol' Man

Strange Ol' Man Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  12. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

Sweet...what year was it made?

13. Strange Ol' Man

2011 ...... Sweetwater blew these out for $499 !!! I bought specific to age it here in the shop . Baked maple fret board...pre-robot tuners. Killer lil' guitar . I did change pots and caps, wired it 50s style .

14. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

Cool....except for the bridge it looks old to me....

15. Strange Ol' Man

Everyone says Mojotone wrap tail ........ Thanks .

16. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I'll add my Epiphones:

Black is one I've had for a while, new pickup that I split, push/pull tone pot to select HB 16kohms or Neck-side single coil split 8kohms plus tone cap changes. full shielding. I've had this one for a while and it encouraged me to seek out additional Juniors as well as Esquires (which I'm building from scratch).

Hammered industrial machine painted with a Steampunk-ish theme. Transmission gear added for a 'pickguard'. Antiqued the covered HB (PAF-type kohm specs) chicken head tone knob, amber volume knob. The toggle switch selects between Parallel coils (like Fender Strat 'position 2'), Single bridge-side coil (like Fender Strat and Telecaster bridge), and Series coils (like Gibson humbucker). A bit more tweaking until I'm satisfied it's finished and then I'll find this one a new home. This switching is the same I'm using on my 2015 build challenge guitar that I'll wire up in the next couple of days. It uses an on/on/on switch (traveling-tele-2015-build)

I have a few more Epiphone Juniors I'll modify once the build challenge is over.

Attached Files:

17. PumpJockey

Just took in a barely used 2015 Gibson Jr. on a trade. I have a home-brew Jr. I mentioned above and I'm comparing the '15 to that one.

It's the dark burst version and feels noticeably lighter than my Special. I am withholding judgment on the G-Force tuners until I play a little more. I do like to play in different tunings and may find them useful.

The neck is a odd one. It is very wide, wider than my 2009 Gibby Special. I have big hands and my left hand is stretched from decades of playing bass, and this neck is right at the limit of comfort to me. The action is wonderful, with a zero fret rather than a nut. (I wonder if it came plek'ed from the factory?) The wraparound bridge seems to be perfectly intonated.

The real joy is in the electronics. The pup itself sounds great and Gibson has obviously spent some time coordinating the volume and tone pots. You really can get two pickups worth of tones from this thing, with the tone knob especially sensitive. The volume knob between 8 - 10 is more about clean to dirty rather than any huge change in volume and the tone knob is usable all the way down to 1. At around 5 I get a very squishy compressed tone that responds very much to right hand picking dynamics.

I play though a MuchXS Princeton Reverb-style amp, which is very touch-sensitive in itself and the Jr. takes full advantage.

i love Esquires and Juniors and I think this is a keeper.

18. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

I got a yellow 2015 and really dig it. The neck is different, but I got used to it quickly. The tuners are handy if you like lots of quick alternate tunings, which I do. I think a lot of folks that claim to hate them haven't tried one. Now if I'm dropping $2500 on a Gibson, I wouldn't necessarily want the Gforce, but on a $700 Jr, who gives a crap? Enjoy it!

19. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We've got a few in my band.

Sunburst, TV and Pelham Blue.
    The blue one is mine - even though I'm the drummer!

Attached Files:

20. PumpJockey

Will I eventually have to read the manual?? I hate that. :twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.