Les Paul diet

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by viking, Apr 28, 2019.

1. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Sorry , no pics , I'm useless about taking pics when working on anything

A couple of years ago , I bought a used 2005 Les Paul Studio. I can't believe it was ever white , but it's a really nice banana yellow , ebony fretboard , 490/498 pickups.

After a fret level , it was a nice playing guitar , but.......it was 4255 grams , or 9.3 pounds. Not a problem as such , but like my Teles , the heavier ones tend to stay on the rack

I decided to see what could be done to ease the burden a bit , and gathered parts slowly when buying stuff anyway from vendors.

Aluminum stop bar saves a bit over 60gr , original was 90 , Faber was 28
    Pinnacle alu Nashville bridge 30 gr lighter than stock
    Alu stop bar studs weigh 10 gr , stock 30
    Top hat knobs and plastic plate for the jack , minus 20 gr
    Removed pickguard 29gr with bracket
    Removed pu covers 20 gr each

This guitar had the long threaded Gibson marked pots , and grounding/assembly plate

Used 4 CTS pots without the plate ,plate alone 37 gr. The Gibson pots incl all the extra nuts and washers weighed quite a bit more , maybe 30 gr

Drilled a few holes in the body , a couple of 22 mm in the bottom of pu routs , same depth as the holes for the Pu feet. Also drilled a few holes through the jack hole , with a 22mm spade drill bit. Rounded out edges in the control cavity etc
    About 100 gr of wood removed.

Guitar was now at about 3900 gr/8.6 pounds.

That was a couple of years ago , have used it quite a bit since.

Got hold of a set of Gotoh Stealth tuners , these are very small , very expensive , and REALLY light , 71 gr for six.
    The Kluson look a likes Gibson use on so many models weigh 192 gr , with threaded bushings and screws.

If you have Grover tuners , you could be having 300gr hanging on the headstock. Same with the Robot tuners , about 300gr.

Heard about Lace Alumitone pickups. A humbucker sized Alumitone weighs less than 50 gr

A normal humbucker weighs 150/160 gr with cover , cover weighs 20gr alone
    Alumitones use way less windings than normal , and is constructed from alu. Signal is low impedance , and converted to high impedance via a transducer.
    They are passive , no batteries , mount like normal pickups , and sound great to me at first test.....they also remove half a pound from your guitar with normal humbuckers !

These are used with 250k pots , so decided to go to short shaft pots. Those long brass threads are heavy !

Removed some wood in the control area , and installed short shaft pots, not very hard to do. 28gr saved compared to long shaft pots.

Did my own pickguard in thinner material , and made up a bracket in alu. 14gr instead of 29.

After all this fun , the guitar now weighs 3585 gr , or 7.89 pounds.

None of this was really needed , but it was fun , and modding from a different angle than normal.

Besides , lots of people ask on different forums , if anything can be done . Usually , no real advice is given . After all , Les Paul's should be heavy , right ?

If like me , you mod stuff all the time for fun , the work can be done over time.

All the parts used on this guitar is better made than what came off.
    Anyway , this was fun , gotta go play my guitar !

garrett, Stubee, WhatDoIKnow and 2 others like this.
  2. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I admire your dedication to this quest!
    There are many LP owners on this site who would be interested in this account, too

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

It sounds like a lot of work to remove about 1.5lbs. But I'm with you - that can really mean the difference between playing a guitar for an hour and stage and not.

Good stuff.

Zepfan and nojazzhere like this.
  4. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Wow, probably costs more in upgrades than the guitar!

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Not cheap , but again , over a couple of years....
    Some LP guys spend what I have done on a set of pickups , or......." Correct " plastic for their guitar

I guess modding will never be cost effective
    I have a certain amount , give or take , that I use for hobby stuff every month.

Sometimes I buy stuff for guitars or amps , sometimes I buy parts for some of my old cars.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I am the proud owner of 5 Les Pauls.
    Every one is an anchor!
    Thanks for doing all the research!
    I definitely want to put a couple of mine on a diet.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

I understand what you mean about modding. It can be a labor of love. In the past I spent more time modding inexpensive guitars than I did playing because I enjoyed doing it. Shaving some weight off an LP is a good thing.

Sweetwater had an exclusive model LP Tribute with ultra modern weight relief. Some individual guitars were coming in at under 8 lbs. I was very interested in a gold top, but I don't know if they will ever be back in stock. EDIT: I see Sweetwater currently has a Studio Tribute that weighs 7 pounds. Dang, that is light for a LP.

I clicked on a banner ad here on TDPRI and found the Zzounds/AMS exclusive Les Paul Classic Lite. That is a LP on a diet. :D I was very close to pulling the trigger on a blem they had but was traveling for work and it was still a little more than I wanted to spend.

Finding that Classic Lite and wanting a lighter LP made me do a little research. I didn't know until then that they made thin bodied LPs in the past. I have a related NGD coming soon. :D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  8. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I put my Les Paul on a diet and she came out looking like Kate Moss!

[​IMG]

Interesting project though, I wouldn't have thought you could prune that much weight off so fascinating to see how you got there.

Tonetele, nojazzhere and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  9. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

That's why Gibson invented the SG.

mimmo, Zepfan, Greg_L and 1 other person like this.
  10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Yes , and they can keep it , LOL....
    I know some people like them , but I could never get used to them.
    I have a Studio that weighs 7.9 pounds stock. Never thought about doing stuff like this to that one. I'm not after as light as possible , I see no reason for that.
    It's mind-blowing though , and maybe interesting for some with bad backs and so , that it's possible to get below 7 pounds with a Les Paul.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jayyj ,nice guitar !
    I have a kind of fault built into the melon on top of my head , I guess.....LOL
    After having been used to building and help build racing vehicles for decades , it's just a way of thinking now
    How can we make this better , stronger , lighter ?
    I draw the line on titanium parts , or other extremely expensive parts.
    It's very easy to fabricate small parts on your own , and a lot of time can be spent instead of money.

jayyj likes this.
  12. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

I love that. What model is it?

jayyj likes this.
  13. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

It's a Custom Lite from 1988 - it has a tummy cut as well as being a cm thinner than a standard Custom. They can still be heavy, baring in mind a full fat Custom of that era can be well over 10lb, but this one is a very comfortable 7.9lb.

Funnily enough I just strung up my old Deluxe that I've been working on for a few months - it was previously refinished anyway and it had an ugly headstock break to take care of so I decided to redo the refinish to hide the break, then when I was cleaning up various dings in the top I couldn't resist redoing the top carve from a typical 70s vague dome to an early Goldtop style carve. Removed a lot of wood in the process, and thought it felt light when I stated playing it so I weight it and, sure enough, it's gone from just under 10lb to 9.2. Wouldn't have expected such a difference but hey, not complaining!

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

If it was a dragster you'd have probably shaved a couple seconds off your elapsed time.

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My 90's LP Studio was 12 pounds. I would've been happy with 9.3lbs.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

You could've traded for a LP Lite or a BFG.

17. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

No , I couldn't
    I'm not in the US , these guitars aren't exactly hanging on the trees here
    Besides , it's a project , a hobby , and I have gigged with this guitar while modding it along the way

jayyj, WhatDoIKnow and Zepfan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.