Les Paul Custom or Telecaster Custom?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Jun 26, 2020.

Les Paul Custom or Telecaster custom?

1. Les Paul Custom

46 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. Telecaster Custom

54 vote(s)
    54.0%
  1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On my statement that a Squier Telecaster still is a telecaster
    [​IMG]
    Well, it's a Fender product, it had the correct body shape and correct headstock which actually SAYS "Telecaster"
    [​IMG]
    So do explain, why you think it isn't a telecaster.

boneyguy likes this.
  2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Because your chain needs pulling. I think my two custom non-Fender Telecasters are Telecasters so the Squier’s are also. Everyone should play what they like and enjoy.

3. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Telecasters are like Lay's Potato Chips. You can't just have one. I do have an Epi Lester on order however.

I am not really into choosing in a either/or situation. :D Why limit yourself? :p

For me, it was the Deluxe...THEN the LP. :D

thumbnail_20200517_132431.jpg

4. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Rewire the LP with Frampton wiring and you'll be amazed at the tones you can get. The middle PU becomes not just usuable, but super-helpful in the mix. Incredible. The stock wiring is idiotic. I think Gibson just added the middle PU to make it fancy and lavish, and did not think through the wiring and controls intelligently at all. The Frampton circuit is wonderful.

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Both... two of each ...

6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

I lucked into a 3 pickup Les Paul Custom Classic at a price I couldn't say no to. Immediately, I'm in the camp of hating the middle pickup. I otherwise love the guitar so I sink the middle pup super low so my pick won't hit it. Other than looking pretty it has no use for me, don't even like the sounds.

I also removed the middle puckup from my Nashville Tele. Again, I like everything else about that model but the middle pup.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I had a Les Paul Custom for about four years and never really bonded with it. I traded it for a killer American Standard Strat that I kept for about 20 years that I wish I still had.

So, I guess I’d go for the Tele Custom.

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

My 98 MIM 69 Thinline has these. Never once had an issue. The guitar itself became a Partscaster (as all my Fenders do) and was sold. However, I still have & use the neck and tuners without issue. I also had a Tele Deluxe with these & again no issues.

9. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have those days when I want what a middle pickup can bring when added in with a front and/or rear pickup, namely: the quack.
    A humbucker setup generally doesn't quite get there. Maybe a bright single coil in the middle would get closer.
    I have a three X P-90 Gibson from the 80's and it doesn't quite get there, either. This is why I can't vote for the Les Paul custom; at least not in three pickup configuration.
    The Tele custom, however, is an interesting hybrid because of the 4 knob setup. I put the switch in the middle and usually never touch it when I'm using that type of control layout. I guess that makes me a two knob twiddler. Or four.

10. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I was in your field... Had a Standard Goldtop 20 years ago, a 72 Deluxe goldtop, a Red Custom... Sold them all... got a Junior... mmm... that's better, sold it because it was lack of something... spend many years with no LP, I was Tele/Sg and archtops player

Then I found my problem were humbuckers...

Got a P90 Les Paul... Love it, keep it and play the hell out of it. My most gigged guitar in this last two years

11. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

Anyone here who doesn’t like Les Pauls and hasn’t tried one with P90s should revisit the Les Paul in its original form.

El Marin likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

P-90’s are my favorite pickup—I have variations of P-90’s on three of my electric guitars, and plans for a fourth.

I also don’t have a problem with humbuckers—I have humbuckers in my ‘72-reissue Telecaster Deluxe (fake WRHBs), my Dean VX (PAF-style) as well as my first guitar, a G&L F-100 (MFD coil- and phase-tapped humbuckers), and have no problem with any of them.

I have tried several Les Pauls with P-90’s, and while I love the sound, it still feels like a Les Paul.

The feel of a Les Paul throws me off. It’s not the scale—I have an Epiphone ‘57-reissue Les Paul Junior and a Dean VX (Flying V copy), which are both Gibson scale—as well as extensively playing my drummer’s Epiphone Junior—and I don’t have any problems with them...I don’t know if it’s the carved/archtop body (which doesn’t bother me on my Airline archtop acoustic) or what it is, but *something* about a Les Paul feels weird.

I sometimes compare guitars to underwear—it’s hard to pick out a underwear for someone else, because the two of you don’t have the same butt. I wear boxer briefs and they’re very comfortable for me; regular old boxers don’t give the (ahem) support I need/prefer. Plain old mighty whitey tightey briefs don’t have enough room and cut into where my leg meets my torso, so it’s boxer-briefs for me.

Likewise, picking a guitar out for someone else doesn’t always work because we all have different definitions of what is “comfortable” and what feels right.

For many years, I was a Strat/Strat-style body guy—until I played a few Telecasters. Something about the slab body without the belly cut or forearm contour just felt right. Maybe that’s why I like Les Paul Juniors/Specials and Flying V’s—the slab body gives me something to push against that just feels right. I still like (and own) A Stratocaster and a Strat-style body (G&L F-100), but now prefer a slab body.

Also, the placement of the pickups (their position on the body) of a Les Paul lends itself to muddiness on the neck pickup (even with a P-90) and shrillness on the bridge pickup—if you look closely at my avatar Telecaster, the neck (P-90) pickup is several millimeters closer to the bridge than most neck pickups—and that eliminates any muddiness in the tone.

I haven’t given up in finding a Les Paul I like—and I know, with all the variations, there’s *got* to be one that feels good to me—but for now, I’ll be happy with the (too many) guitars I own and love.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    El Marin likes this.
  13. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First off, an (80s, I assume?) Japanese Squier Tele is a whole 'nuther animal compared to current Squiers.

Still, not a 'true' Tele to me though. If it has to have a disclaimer "well, it's a Squier Tele," then it ain't a "real" Telecaster to me.

I recently bought a Zemaitis. But if someone asked what guitars I owned, I would say I have a "recent, Japanese Zemaitis." Because to say I own a Zemaitis, it NEEDS a disclaimer. It's not a hand-built by Tony Zemaitis in England rarity (that would be worth a LOT more than I paid for mine).

I've owned several PRS SE guitars. I never once told anyone I owned a PRS; I said I owned a PRS SE or "an import PRS." There's a distinction. The SE is not a "real" PRS and it would be misleading to say I owned a PRS. Just as it would be misleading to say "I own a Fender Telecaster" when it's actually a Fender Squier Tele. I would never say I own a Gibson Les Paul if it was an Epiphone.

But if you feel it's a Telecaster, that's cool.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have had a lot of Telecasters, lost count at 28 in the 1980s. I have to say I like the Les Paul Custom. John Fogerty's Black Beauty is good, just as good is the Ibanez early 1970s version, no name , Diamond on headstock, in fact, Fogerty played one all night and only the Gibson for a two song encore. John says his is a 1960 LP Custom- sounds great.
    I guess I'll upset some here.

15. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not me--I absolutely love Les Pauls, but also love some of the Japanese 70s/80s models. I owned a Burny LP Custom once, even had binding that covered the fret edges. Wish I'd never let it go.

Some of those Ibanezes were great, others were bolt-on, multi-laminated body garbage.

Tonetele likes this.
  16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

If you check Ebay and/or a store that has one, that Burny would cost you $1500 now.
    Yeah, they were probably the best of the " lawsuit " guitars.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  17. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I own two, so I am biased. Here's the refinished 73 Telecaster Custom "parts" guitar. :

FC 003.JPG

18. chickenmonkey

chickenmonkey TDPRI Member

Here are my “Customs” although I don’t really count the Squire. The black guitar is a late 90s MIJ with a Novak noiseless vintage voiced bridge pickup and a vintage WRHB. Love this guitar, so versatile.

I have two vintage WRHBs I picked up a off of Craigslist and thought about a Deluxe project, but can’t give this one up so the other PU is packed away an lonely. :(

F7C0AC7E-1E0F-4772-97EC-9404F2BFB7D0.jpeg

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Les Paul Custom. That "custom" looks far more awesome than the telecaster custom.

rze99 and chickenmonkey like this.
  20. chickenmonkey

chickenmonkey TDPRI Member

Yes and it IS more “custom” with a SD Jazz neck and a vintage voiced PAF clone in the bridge...both low resistance, sound great and are super versatile as well. I think it started out with black poly. Finished with nitro and a full satin neck. I could pretty much cover all the bases with those two “customs.” I can’t take credit for the work though, it was all done prior to my purchase of it. He did nice work on it and I benefited!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.