1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Les Paul 59?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mdbrewster96, Jul 25, 2013.

1. mdbrewster96

mdbrewster96 Tele-Meister

Hey guys! I've been looking into getting my first Les Paul, I saw a '59 reissue I really liked (in the picture) and the employees at the guitar store told me it was a LP '59 reissue in sunburst and flame maple... I went home from the store to look up some more information on the guitar and I couldn't find any "Gibson 59 LP in sunburst and flame maple" I did however find a LP in a tea burst that looked awful similar... Any ideas on what the guitar in this picture is? Am I on the right track with identifying this guitar? Also, is it money well spent?

Thanks y'all! :)

mikeyd

Attached Files:

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

3. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

4. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Guitar store people often refer to any burst color as "sunburst". The color is actually called cherryburst as stated above. Do a search for that and you'll find lots of info. If your after a Les Paul I might suggest doing some historical research as well to get to know the ins and outs before dropping a lot of coin on one. I'm not saying this to be rude, it's just good to know the different features of some desirable models and which things to avoid, plus I always find it fun to get the history of a guitar model. Asking the forum is a good place to start!

*you may already know a lot about les Paul's and if you do I'm sorry if I came off as insulting. The cherry burst finish is just the gold standard of les Paul's and since you weren't sure of the name I figured this might be new to you! Good luck in the guitar hunt!

5. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Money well spent? Only you will be able to answer that one. Like Russ says do your research. I'm sure this is as good a place as any to get your questions answered. I've never visited the Gibson Forum but they could answer any questions. It's just a matter of how helpful they want to be.

The final test should be the blindfold test. Wear a blindfold so you're not influenced by the top and have a friend hand several to you play them until you find the one worth the money. Don't rush and best of luck.

FWIW I owned mine for several years before I found out the correct name for the finish. It's a light burst

Attached Files:

• 056.jpg
      056.jpg
      File size:
      50 KB
      Views:
  6. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Some of the older RI's are a great deal. I have a 2002 '58 RI. It was the last year of the flamed maple top and the first year of the Burstbuckers. They go for less than half the price of a new one. They don't have bumble bee caps or any of that other historically correct stuff but they might be worth checking out. Happy hunting!

7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

There are so many different LP models it's really impossible to say. Head back to the store or give them a call.

8. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

See if they will let you pull the rear cover. If its what they say it is it will have R9 stamped in the rim of the control cavity. It could also be an R8 there are plenty of figured top 58 reissues out there

9. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

You can use the serial numbers too, a '59 serial will start with a 9.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.