Leon.....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Wally, Jun 29, 2020 at 9:12 PM.

1. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've read an interview of Elton John where he spoke of what an influence Leon Russell had been to him. They went on to make an album together in 2010 - The Union.

Listening to his "Hank Wilson's back" from '73, I'd say he was a huge influence on following country acts and artists like Willie Nelson...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 5:34 PM
    JeffBlue likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Bendyha, Carney remains my favorite, too.

JeffBlue likes this.
  3. Wally

I have never heard Them Union’. I did watch the documentary that detailed the long relationship between the two and how instrumental and important Russell was to Elton. This music thing is such a circle, isn’t it? I was a big Three Dog aight fan in the late ‘60s/early ‘70s. They recorder Your song in March, 1970; and the credits on the album led me to John’s Tumbleweed Connection and 11-7-70 albums...which I bought not knowing much beyond the Three Dog Night connection. In searching out that song, I find this article in which it is noted that John’s piano style there owes much to the influence of.....LEON! I play “Your Song” on piano...very badly but with great respect for a great song.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Song
    Leon made paths for a lot of people and left a great legacy.

JeffBlue likes this.
  4. Wally

Bendyha, my copy of ‘Carney’ May very well be a thick German vinyl disc purchased in Ankara, Turkey In 1972. I ache quite a number of thick English and German Vinyl albums from that era ....when U.S. companies were skimping on the vinyl. They are all I; near pristine condition. I was a fanatic....light balanced tone arms, cleaner fluid and the best cleaning pads.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I love the rubber band thing he does with pitch and have spent many hours trying to sing like him!
    The feel too, great organic grooves that breathe like a living thing.
    And yeah, sadly not coming to mind much any more.

JeffBlue likes this.
  6. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

leon was a favorite back in the day.

JeffBlue likes this.
  7. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Sittin' on a highway......in a broken van.......waiting to see you again......

Manhattan Island Serenade. Leon wrote and covered so many great songs. I'll sometimes have to go on youtube and listen to his' performance on Concert For Bangladesh, or other assorted stuff he's done.

8. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

The Window Up Above

JeffBlue, Durtdog and Rumblur like this.
  9. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

Leon Russell may well be the Nikola Tesla of music... responsible for much, and only known to the people that matter. What a career and life that man had.

When you are an influence on guys as diverse as Elton John and Willie Nelson, and you've played with everyone from Sinatra to Jan & Dean to George Jones, you must be GOOD.

As great as he was at his own music, I wish I could've shook his hand and thanked him for Freddie King's "Getting Ready" album, which is probably my #1 desert island album.

Matt G and JeffBlue like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.