1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Leon Rhodes

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by golfnut, Aug 11, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've always been a big Ernest Tubb fan. I never really knew his guitar player by name but always like his tone and his simple solos that fit so well with Ernests songs.
    However I never had any idea how good he was till I did further investigating.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

You should read this interview with Leon to see where he came from and how he came to be in ET's band https://www.vintageguitar.com/2858/leon-rhodes/

Also Buddy Charlton was such an influence and fantastic steel player. Here's Buddy and Steve Chapman on guitar and Steve was no slouch, you had to be good to be in ET's group, real good!

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

Honey Fingers is a great tune! Outstanding playing!

4. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I'm new to him too. Well, new to knowing who he is. I downloaded a bunch of his tunes off of Youtube, that guy can smoke!

5. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Great playing!
    Nashville: you go there thinking you can play then you take a walk down the street and find out that, no, you really can't)

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  6. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

Conversation with Emmons and Drake at club...
    So we go and sit, and during our conversation they asked me if I’d like to move to Nashville and go to work with Ernest Tubb.

(chuckling) For real?
    (laughing) Yeah. So I said “Doing what?” And the second guy says “Playing guitar.” I said “I’m really not the guitar player here. I’m the drummer.” Then the guy in the t-shirt says “No man – you’re a guitar player. In fact, you not just a guitar player you’re the guitar player.” Anyway the guy in the t-shirt was Buddy Emmons and the other guy was Jack Drake.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

He was a cool, quirky player.
    I’m glad he had a great, long career.
    RIP and thanks, sir.

8. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I remember him on Hee Haw when I was a kid (that was stop down TV at my grandparents house)...never knew what a monster he was til way later on. Supposedly a heck of a fast pitch softball player too.

9. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I love this video of him and Buddy Emmons so much I converted it to an MP3 so I could listen to it in the car.

10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Truly meant to be a jazzer. Leon was a Monster player who was active right up until he died recently.

R.I.P. :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.