1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Leon Rhodes' quote.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Oct 24, 2020.

1. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

"I never really had any players I looked up to. Back then, I didn’t know anybody that played, except for my family. Basically, I sat out on the back porch and learned how to play. Nowadays you’ve got television, audio and videocassettes you can buy that show you how to do things."

from this interview.
    http://www.vintageguitar.com/2858/leon-rhodes/

2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That was part of the 10,000 hours. You can see how technically better younger players are to day because they don't have to invest as much time in learning by figuring out. Still takes 10,000 hours.

johnny k likes this.
  3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I'd argue the opposite.

He grew up with a family of musicians, some who played very well at that. Not much to do way back when on the off days so I imagine taking all that music in from a young age developed his ear fairly well before plucking a single note because he focused on it. So, when he started practicing he had a hell of a head start.

From there you can tell he had lots of things all worked out by ear, certain patterns/scales et cetera. Yet, IIRC, he knew little to no theory nor could read charts/music. But if he heard a whole-tone pattern..he played it.

So, instead of wrote memorization of books/scales and tabs the guy developed his own approach that is genuinely unique whereas today it's much easier to fall into a trap of never developing a style the old fashioned way.

johnny k likes this.
  4. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

http://timfischermusic.com/wp/wp-co...-Rhodes-Solo-on-My-Window-Faces-the-South.png

SnidelyWhiplash and RadioFM74 like this.
  5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

SnidelyWhiplash and johnny k like this.
  6. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Leon was the MAN! He was active right up till the time he died, which was not that long ago.

R.I.P. :cry:

johnny k likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.