1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Leo Didn't Get it Right the First Time

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by zwayne, Jan 25, 2013.

1. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i never had to do any of that. There is nothing wrong with the truss rod design , or the neck design, or the neck pickup design, or the bridge design.

2. muddyh2o

muddyh2o TDPRI Member

i could care less if he got it right the 1st time! always liked teles and always will. one thing i especially like for a leo invention that you won't find on a tele or any fmic product is the bridge on an asat special/deluxe. personally, i think it's a work of art.

3. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

HEE! . . I been playin' since the fifties, all kinds of guitars, and never noticed anything with the output jack. Leo did get it perfect.

4. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

If Leo didn't get it "right" the first time, how come I'm still regretting getting rid of my Telecaster??

5. Triton Thrasher

Triton Thrasher Tele-Afflicted

Cool Bonecaster!

6. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Holic

no guitar is perfect.....the 2 things that bother me on the tele are;jack plate socket (prone to falling apart and difficulties with some RA plugs) and the selector switch (much too close to the control knob) other than that....COOL

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I really don't get this chart, Tele came before the LP.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:D

9. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

I respectfully disagree. Before I ever ventured under the hood of any of my teles, I had jack cups coming loose.

10. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

The snakehead wasn't a production guitar. Basically a mock up or several along the way to what was the 1st production guitar.

11. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

You realise this is the Telecaster forum don't you?

;)

12. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

I work in design, I build tooling and manufacturing machine tools. It would be a miserable job if it bothered me every time I didn't get it right the first time. I have long ago accepted that my very best computer designed and college educated concoctions can always be improved upon in some way by the minimum wage operators I build them for.

The fact is, the easiest thing in this world to do is take something and make it better.

Here we are, just a bunch of guitar pluckers with access to the internet and I betcha every single one of us has done something to our gear to make it better than the condition we bought it in.

Leo gave us one hell of a great foundation that not even the college educated design miesters at CBS could destroy. The sounds and guitars and mystiques that have been created by improving on his originals were easy achievements, no surprise to me at all- the easiest thing in the world to do is make something a little bit better.

13. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Tele-Meister

In retrospect, I think the dude who posted the chart was saying that the Telecaster was either ahead of its time, or just plain timeless. The titles kind of a misnomer, though.

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

My PBass is testimony to his having got it right the first time .

15. SatelliteOrders

SatelliteOrders Friend of Leo's

Most of the things I'm seeing here are not things fixed by the Stratocaster. That is the core of that saying. Yeah, different wiring and different jack cups and a slightly different neck would have been nice, but the fundamentals were solid.

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep.

17. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

Ding! We have a winner!

18. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

I love my 8502 American Ash Tele, thick neck and modern bridge. The only thing that would be better would be a G&L ASAT III, or a James Burton model with the Lace Sensors. I also like the Stratocaster comment, but I do like a fixed bridge as opposed to floating. There you have it. I just mentioned 3 of my favorites all made within the last 20 years.

19. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention the Hamer T-51. I'm sure someone could jump in here and menton Suhr, Anderson etc... There's no doubt Leo started a good thing.

20. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

For a DIY guy, there are lots of things I do differently when building my own guitar. I greatly prefer right angle cords, so use an electrosocket in my tele with the jack screwed all the way out.

I personally prefer the reversed control panel and headstock access truss rod adjuster.

Some day, I'll put a belly and forearm cut into a tele body (ala Jeff Beck) as I do find the strat enormously more comfortable to play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.