1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lenten Friday Fish Frys

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Feb 20, 2015.

1. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

my mom and grandma used to fry the fish at my uncle raymond's tavern on friday nights. by 9 o'clock the place'd be full of drunken miners beating on each other, and i'd have to go home early.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Once upon a time it was Whitefish.

Or other Lake species that are too few or too polluted to be available in commercial quantities anymore.

One little reason it was easier to get on a plane to New Orleans (where speckled trout jumped into your boat).

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I can dig that! :D

I don't give up fries for lent. Maybe I should, but I don't. :)

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

MMMM, that was great. I opted for St Pete's, it's easier to get to, as far as an in/out.

I don't know how they do it in your neck of the woods, but here, these fundraiser fish frys for the schools seat everyone family-style, 8 or 10 or so to a table, so you're sitting with and dining with complete strangers.You don't stay strangers long, though.

You do have the option of picking up a carryout, but where's the fun in that?

5. dblues

dblues Tele-Afflicted

Your making me miss Wisconsin. Fish fry down here means catfish only. No problem with that. Just means I have fill up the freezer when I go to the UP in June.

6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

We still have fish on Fridays as a hangover from a Catholic upbringing. Last night was salmon rissoles (tinned pink Canadian salmon, mashed spuds, fried onion, chopped coriander and seasoning) rolled in breadcrumbs and shallow fried until golden. Served with an Asian salad of julienned carrots with fresh chopped coriander and mint pickled in a dressing of fresh lime juice with sugar ginger garlic chilli and fish sauce. Topped with crushed peanuts. Yum!

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

!

Mmmmmm, Hmmmm . . . That smells good ! :D

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I "suffer" from that upbringing too.

I might just have to try those salmon rissoles; they sound really good with that salad. We usually mash the tinned stuff with malt vinegar and ground black pepper and serve with lettuce, carrots, radishes, etc. English-style salad, I guess.

9. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Gorton's battered cod filets and then Stations Of The Cross...yep, that's our Friday during Lent!

10. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

No fish for me. Daughter came home from school with a fever. Maybe next Fri. (See what I did there?)

11. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer an Alsatian Gewurztraminer with sushi. But still, it doesn't count. Fish fry and beer is its own thing.

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

interesting... we can't have had many catholics in my family?...
    the "fish on friday" thing was never a tradition around our mob....

although I had heard of the "fish on friday" thing from other people... tv shows,etc..

fish and chips was eaten more often on a Sunday night on the way home from an day outing to grandmas up the coast....... to spare mum from kitchen duties, I guess...;)

We lived in the inner city/burbs... where are you going to get a fish?... Some nights dad would bring home some of that yellow smoked cod to cook up with white sauce... we loved that..

Dad?.. where did you catch the fish?.... why son, I caught it in the drain on the way home from work...

Wooooo!..AWESOME!!!... my Dad was a great hunter... that was fish day... when he caught one, cleaned it and wrapped it up in paper and brought it home after getting off the bus from work in the city.....

respect...:)

13. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Still is where I come from (Lake Superior)
    We had fish last night at our local St. William church- it was probably Haddock as well though- it was quite good with the home-made sides and desserts all part of the meal.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Crispy cod, hot fries and three or four brandy old fashioned sweets......I grew up watching my parents make this "sacrifice" of no meat on Fridays during Lent.

Extra tarter......mmmmmmmmm.

badger51 likes this.
  15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I'll bet you like relish trays, too.

16. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

Who doesn't like relish trays?!?!

17. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Tele-Meister

I always seem to have to work Friday nights, hence I miss out on our great tradition. I will always remember as a bit younger man the VFW walleye feeds with my buds (and my friends, too)! in Beaver Dam.

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Where I grew up in Liverpool, just about every street corner that didn't have a pub on it, had a chippie on it.

Especially as both my parents worked, I think I ate fish & chips at least two or three times a week Lent or not.

19. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

I've spent a LOT of time in Wisconsin and really miss a good Great Lakes Whitefish dinner. Broiled with melted butter and slivered almonds. I used to buy it fresh at a fish market either in Kewaunee or Manitowoc and make it that night when I got back home to Illinois.

Religion and fish. Jesus fishstick.

Attached Files:

20. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Nope.

Yer doin' it wrong.

The only ones making the sacrifice are those
    little fish you devour by the pound!
    :mad:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.