"Lenny" - Flame Maple Tele-style Guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by CLPeterman, Jun 25, 2016.

1. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

The correct decals finally arrived Tuesday. So late yesterday I applied them to the body and the neck. I wet sanded the spot for the neck with some mineral spirits, very carefully. But I didn't bother with the pocket because it wouldn't be flat anyway. I don't really sell guitars, or plan to sell guitars right now. I just make them for friends who play or see mine and want one (because I have too many already). But I like to make them look professional anyway, so I'm putting decals on them now. Plus serial numbers are always good, for insurance purposes. Heaven forbid someone steals it. Just to be double sure with the rules around here I've blurred stuff out on the pictures.

Neck Decal
    [​IMG]

Wanted something visible on the neck without taking the guitar apart for the serial number (To help prevent theft, etc). But I was not going to cover up the pretty wood. So we decided to try it on the bottom edge of the neck.

Looks good and and has the requisite serial number (LC17 004). LC for Lenny and Chris (Lenny is the older gentleman in the pictures I keep posting). 17 for 2017. 004 Because its the 4th guitar I've worked on with Lenny. Short simple and to the point.

We also decided to put one in the humbucker pocket on the body as well. I'm not sure which was more of a paint to apply. But the look good. The decals weren't here on time, but I think on the next one I will try applying the decal to the copper tape and put the tape in the pocket. That might be easier.

Prepping for the Decal on the body.
    [​IMG]

Close-up.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully be finishing the lacquer in the next couple of days. Depends on how many coats it takes. That's the only thing I don't like about nitro.

-Chris

2. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Rain, Rain, Go Away, I need to spray another day.....

Even though I took pains to build that nice spray booth, the shop isn't climate controlled so it's been too humid most days to spray. The body needs one or two more coats to be finished and then it will have to set a bit. But the neck is ready, so today we buffed it out and then fretted it. Pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was reacquainting myself with photoshop, they turned out okay. Hid most of the mess. :p

It is pouring as I type this so probably not finishing anytime soon. It's been weeks "one more nice day". Thems the breaks. I'll let ya know if anything exciting happens.

darkforce likes this.
  3. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Lookin' good.

4. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Really nice. That neck is a work of art.

5. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

What brand of waterbased lacquer are you using, Ricky?

6. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks to be coming together nicely. It's going to be a stunner. I love the color.

7. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Sweet!

8. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

We got our nice day and finished spraying. FINALLY! We let it sit for a while and today we got to work.

Wet Sanding
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my least favorite part because it usually looks like crap at this stage. But this actually doesn't look bad.
    [​IMG]

Cleaning the gunk (from wet sanding) out of all the holes. Who's that? :p
    [​IMG]

We also buffed the body with medium, fine and swirl remover. Then gave it a quick polish. It will get polished again. No pics of the process because it took two sets of hands. I do however have eye candy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to do the neck tomorrow. Then start installing hardware.

I was given a pretty nice used case to put it in. I gave it a bath with a magic eraser and it almost looks good as new. It says its from from calton cases of canada.
    Anyone ever heard of them? It looks pretty solid but I need to make sure its nitro safe.

zorgzorg2 and Mat UK like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.