"Lenny" - Flame Maple Tele-style Guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by CLPeterman, Jun 25, 2016.

1. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Can you re-saw? I might have a piece or 2 that will fit the bill of white birdseye maple if you can re-saw. I've got a bum thumbs so my re-saw skills suck at the moment just can't control the piece how I want with my left hand. Anywho PM me, I'll tey to get you some pictures if your interested... I get my stuff from a guy up in Maine.

2. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

I have an ok resaw setup on my bandsaw. My resaw fence is a 2x6 and two clamps. It works.

Id love to see what youve got, thanks!

DrASATele likes this.
  3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry for the delay, yesterday was my wife's 35th birthday. Just took these pictures this morning after hunting for these. They're not perfect white like I thought but very close. Let me know if these insterest you and I can probably have it in the mail by Monday afternoon.

Attached Files:

4. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Sorry to have dropped off the face of the earth. Life happened. I haven't had reliable internet access. I'm still dealing with the yard mess, my friend's wife has been sick, I graduated from University, and I'm trying to find a job and/or get into a graduate program. So it has been a little hectic around here.

Lenny made a new neck for the guitar while I was busy. I helped him finish up. Here's some pictures of test fitting the hardware. Still a few minor things to be worked on, but almost ready for dye and a finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It will bug me forever that those aren't straight, even with a jig. Lets just say the drill press did not like this much figure. I need to do some work on it before I try something this pretty again.

[​IMG]
    Lenny posing with the guitar during one of our test fits, please pardon the messy shop.

We've started the dying process on the body. But I don't have any pictures of that yet. I haven't been around much for it. We're almost ready to spray nitro.

On the last couple we've built we've just sprayed outside, on an old table, but then you have to deal with dirt and bugs and whatnot when they inevitably end up in your finish. So I've spent my freetime this week working on a spray booth that can bolt together, either outside or at the far end of the shop. 2x4s and the thickest plastic sheeting I could find, they didn't have the real stuff for some reason so I ended up with like 2.5 mil which should work. I just have to be more careful with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Troubadour likes this.
  5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

It looks great, I wouldn't give those ferrules a second thought.
    Can't wait to see what that flame has to hold.
    Bravo!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  6. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Wont be able spray until second week of febuary at least. Once we start we dont wanna stop till its done. Heres a shot of it being dyed.

[​IMG]

brownale99 likes this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Love that color!

I use to paint without a booth back in the 70's everything from MC gas tanks to one ton pickups.
    We would hose the walls and floor down to catch as much dust as possible.
    If it was lacquer then 99% of the time what ever dust got into it could be color sanded and buffed.
    Your booth should do just fine, just watch your air pressure, keep it as low as you can but still do what you need to do. That helps keep dust down, and you still have to color sand and buff it anyway, just add some extra clear, no big deal.
    I always put plenty of clear on. Then when you color sand it, you can get all the dust and orange peel out so when you buff and polish it, it looks amazing.
    Anyway, good luck,
    My meds have kicked in so forgive me for rambling.

CLPeterman likes this.
  8. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

That's looking great! The red is going to be phenomenal with some clear over it.

Regarding the ferrule holes - have you considered a tone bar/ferrule block/thing?

[​IMG]

Usually made of brass. If you have access to a mill they shouldn't be too hard to make, or I assume you can buy them.

9. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Thanks, its got a few spots that need a little work, they aren't taking the dye as well so it needs a few touch ups and then it will be done. I'm hoping it really pops with the clear over it.

I've done it outside before, the booth will just make it easier. Gonna filter the air coming in and gonna have a cheap disposable filter catching over spray going into a fan. Said fan is going to be meant for hazardous conditions. Lenny broke down and got a decent one. He'll use it for some other projects too. I think I calculated that it will change the air in the booth once a minute (assuming the claimed CFM on the fan is correct) and we'll have almost an hour before we run out of warm make-up air. So long as it works, I'll be able to spray no matter what the weather outside.

I can't just spray in the shop without the booth and the exhaust fan for a few reasons. It is impossible at the moment to control all of the dust. I'm working on it but there is 10 years of tracked in mud and dust bunnies besides the sawdust we produce. I'm slowly fixing this but I'm not magic. I also don't want lacquer over everything that is in there. I share my shop space with general storage, radio equipment and vintage motorcycles so not getting nitro on things is an issue. Plus I'm worried about fuming out the upstairs, above the shop.

As for the ferule blocks, I can probably buy them or make them easily. I don't have a mill in my shop, but I know how to use one and brass is pretty easy to work with. I'm not sure but, I think if I fix the drill press that would help. The dreaded previous owner was using it to do some serious metal work and he put a larger motor on it and changed the pulley sizes on the belts. Its not exactly set up to be gentle at the moment and woodworking takes finese. I was also considering making a jig like the one I have for the tuning peg/machine holes. Which is essentially a block of steel with holes in it.

10. Troubadour

Troubadour TDPRI Member

WOW!

And perfecly bookmatched! Nicely done! Very elegant

11. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Sweet looking build. In the past I've done some spray booth like things ... and one thing that worked well for me was to wash the floor where my temp booth was AND I put down a damp old sheet over the floor. This helped catch and hold things. I didn't have a fan setup but with my temporary "booth" it worked very well. I like the way you set and routed for pickups. Any issue drilling the connecting holes? Dan

12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I spray inside and use waterbase lacquer and I spray water through my gun into the air about 15 minutes before I start spraying. I don't get dust coodies hardly ever. Just tiny black critters.

13. mckeeiain

mckeeiain Tele-Meister

It's so awesome watching you talented people build guitars and amps from scratch. I love to follow along and watch these come together. I have my own talents and skills, but this just seems amazing to me and feels like something I could never do. Anyway, this telecaster is GORGEOUS...and I don't say that easily. I know it's going to look great with paint but it also looks so elegant with the natural finish and gold HW. You are a true artist sir...

14. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the praise guys. I'll try not to let it go to my head. ;P

I got a real J-O-B so I've been sooooo busy. How does something that should take a week not get done a month (or months) later. How do you guys stand it?

Yesterday was a nice day so I opened the doors in the shop and spent the day cleaning with all my big fans running. Vaccumed the worst of the chips up then swept the dust outside and then mopped. I can breathe again! And I can see the floor. I did this already like a month ago, maybe two? And you really couldn't tell. There was a coat of red dirt on everything. But everything is pretty clean now. It also brought the humidity way down (no AC) so I won't have to run the dehumidifier as much to get it where I want it.

Today we assembled the booth. All that's left is to put the filters in and attach the fan. I'll put some pictures up later if people are interested. I also did another thing that was probably overkill and built a new filter for the intake on the air compressor. It now has a HEPA Shopvac filter on the intake instead of the dinky little thing that came on it. Can you tell I hate redoing finishes? I think the actual finishing is probably my least favorite part of a build.

I'm rambling again. I was hoping to get some coats on today and that didn't happen. I'm not sure if I will be motivated enough during the week with work to make much progress. I think I'll aim to have everything ready to go and start spraying on Friday. Seems like a safe goal.

I was going to experiment with some techniques for decals, using some tricks I picked up in other hobbies. But I'm just going to order a sheet of water slides for this so I can get it done. I will experiment on some other projects.

That is not book matched. I'm not certain I could book match a blank that well, although I try. That is a solid slab of maple.

I've never tried waterbase stuff before. We've always used Nitro Stringed Instrument Lacquer. I like how easy it is to repair. Any suggestions? I might give it a try on another project.

Thank YOU, for taking the time to read this and drool over the eye candy. I have to say that I myself am not at all very talented (or didn't used to be). If I didn't have Lenny around teaching me how to do all this stuff then the guitars would not be nearly as nice. I'm good with computers and machines, but I've only been woodworking and guitar building for a year or so, maybe two. I used to feel the same way and I find I love building beautiful things. But what I want to emphasize is what you don't see here is all the mistakes and all the practice. While there weren't many on this particular build, it not unusual to mess things up. Even being meticulous, stuff happens. You just have to go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't be building these things either. :) ...So yeah, that was my attempt at a rousing motivational speech. I'm a technologist not an author.

15. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Congrats on a lovely guitar.... and congrats on the job, too. Nice one!

16. RickyRicardo

I've never sprayed nitro and started with waterbase - Target Coatings. Nice stuff. My Target supplier formulated his own in-house brand and I now use that. The benefits are great burn in, 4 to 5 day drying time, a touch better on the environment and super easy clean up. And it buffs out nice and shiny.

Great looking guitar!

17. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Thanks, bristlehound.

That sounds really good. I didn't think you could get that kind of burn-in with a waterbase. I'll have to give it a try on a build sometime. How does that in-house blend compare to their normal line? I have too many things I want to experiment with. Guess I need to build more guitars.

18. RickyRicardo

I know what you mean about experimenting. I have so little time. Building more guitars is always a good thing..:)

The burn-in is really good. I can get rid of small runs with a follow up coat. I like their in-house brand a little better but that's subjective. Target has been around for quite a while and they know their stuff. It's a really good product but the other one seems to flow a little better to me.

19. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

I ordered decals but they aren't here yet. :( Nothing special, just black. I can start spraying without them but I'm hoping they show up tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

I couldn't start spraying right away so I shielded the electronics pockets. I like the spray over the foil because it keeps it in place. As usual if I need something it sprouts legs. I couldn't find the good tape anywhere. I've been looking all week. So I used some of the thinner stuff I have. I have to say while it will do the job just fine it is a PITA. I like working with thicker tape much better. I actually managed the cut myself for once, oops! Not the prettiest shielding job I've ever done but its more than adequate.

But you want eye candy not my blabbering. Here is the body pre-shielding after we touched up the dye job again.

[​IMG]

And some post-shielding shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Then we went out with some friends and when we got back we ran the heater down stairs for an almost two hours while we prepped to paint tomorrow. I left a small electric heater on, but I cant leave the gas on unattended so I'll have to run it again in the morning.

I took some pictures of the booth when we were touching the dye up.

[​IMG]

It turned out pretty good, except we had to make a few parts. Lenny bought the smallest exhaust fan he could and it will still be too big. So I have to finish our rigged up contraption for adjusting air flow through the booth.

Here's to hoping this whole mess actually works and the decals get here!

Chris

Mat UK likes this.
  20. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

The decals showed up on Saturday. They went me somebody else's decals. Anyone ever heard of Bouser (Bowser?) Musical Instruments? Nothing came up in google. I'm not pleased and I'm sure neither is the other guy since these have silver, which is an upgrade from mine. Hmmm.

Got the booth working really well. Here's some pictures after the first couple coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back of the neck got scratched somehow and I didn't notice until I started spraying. So I have some sanding to do on it before I can spray it again. The body is looking pretty good though. They are both starting to light up already. The spray gun broke so we had to go buy a new one today in the middle of a coat. The new gun seems to be working better. We'll see. I might go through the old one again and see if I can fix it. Either way, I think I'm just going to delegate it other projects. I do want to do a sparkly something sometime soon. :p

boredguy6060 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.