"Lenny" - Flame Maple Tele-style Guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by CLPeterman, Jun 25, 2016.

1. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

I posted a picture of this guitar in the "Whats on your workbench today?" thread a while ago, hoping have it dyed by now. Thanks to a few setbacks, including the weather, that hasn't happened. But I've decided to start a build thread for it because I want to show it off and non guitars players/builders get tired of "look what we built this time".

Longer ago than I would like to admit, our pharmacist saw two red flame top LP-style guitars we built and fell in love. He asked if we would build him a guitar, if he bought the parts and materials. Lenny and I agreed, and he decided to name it after Lenny.

Apparently M has always wanted a red flame T-style guitar. Here is the blank he bought.

[​IMG]

Solid (one piece) flame maple with 5A figure. Probably the most expensive piece of wood I've ever had my hands on. Here is a picturing laying out the body where he wanted it on the blank.

[​IMG]

My phone was dead, so I didn't take any pictures of us routing it. But we stuck an MDF template on the blank with double sided duct tape. Then a I cut as close as I could without touching the template on the bandsaw. This allowed us to save as much pretty wood as possible. It also helps prevent it from chipping out quite as much. Finally, Lenny went to town on the router with the template bits.

Here's a picture, right after drilling the hole for the end jack. The 2x6 was wedged up against bench dogs to help prevent the body from sliding away.

[​IMG]

Then we had to rout the neck. Again, no pictures, I need to be better about that. But I'm usually too busy staying out of the strike zone.

Here is test fitting the neck after shaping it to fit the body.

[​IMG]

Seeing how the fretboard looks.

[​IMG]

The fretboard has been slotted, glued, and trimmed flush. This picture makes the slots look kind of crooked, but I promise they aren't.

[​IMG]

Lenny testing how everything lines up. (Sorry for the mess, working on it - promise!)

[​IMG]

It looks gorgeous. Except for one problem. M wanted lumilay side dots so we bought the ones with the black exterior and the glow in the dark center. We thought they'd show up better on the neck. But Lenny tried to install them, before he sanded the radius on the board.

Since they are thicker than the ones he usually uses and its a different radius than we are used to making, he realized to late that he will end up sanding through them. OOPS. What you cant see in the picture is that he already sanded through a few (his hand is covering them). Not the total end of the world, but mildly upsetting (and yet another setback).

We ordered a couple more neck blanks and boards. They should arrive in the next week or so. We decided that we would look at them when they got here and decided whether to build a complete new neck, or just replace the fretboard on that one.

Regardless it will all get used, somewhere. As Lenny is fond of saying, "Guitars are pack animals".

Let me know what you think. :)
    -Chris

awasson, Troubadour, Tonetele and 3 others like this.
  2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure that you were looking for more knowledgeable people to check it out, but I think it's beautiful.
    That piece of a lumber you started with is the best I've ever seen.
    I'm sure you'll get the neck sorted out, but I'm dying to see that body when you get a finish on it.
    That flame is as good as it gets.
    If I ever had the chance to work with 5A flame, I'd be inclined to want to show it off.
    What Tru Oil can bring out of a piece like that would be astounding.
    Bravo on a great build
    Im subscribe

CLPeterman likes this.
  3. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Purty, purty. It's gonna be a stunner.

CLPeterman likes this.
  4. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. It will be getting a red finish like this, but prettier.

[​IMG]

The grain should really pop. It takes on almost a 3d effect. Pictures don't do it justice.

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice!

6. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

That'll be a heavy bugger I suppose...

CLPeterman likes this.
  7. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Those are two lovely guitars.

CLPeterman likes this.
  8. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Thanks. :)

It is not nearly as heavy as I expected it to be. Surpisingly. But it is definitely heavier than most.

Thanks you. I can't take credit for that inlay though. That's not in my arsenal. yet.

9. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

That is one beautiful guitar!

As for the fret markers, I always worry about that, so I wait until after I radius the fret board. Not sure that's the correct way to do it, but for me it works so the markers are in the "right" place.

The finish should look amazing!

10. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wow, that is beautiful!! Can't wait to see the red on it.

11. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Thanks. There really isnt a "wrong" way, so long as the endvresult is the same. I agree with you though. But Thats what happens when you try to rush.

The side dots he wants are big enough I think I'll have to move them down to the seam of the fretboard. Or make a really thick fretboard. We'll see.

Thanks. Im excited too.

12. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Look what came today to make my life easier! :D

[​IMG]

We probably could've built a jig. But in the interest of time we ordered one. Ill probably be using it on the new neck.

13. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Another present from the postman today.

[​IMG]

Hmm...I wonder what all the limba is for? :p

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the neck blanks and fret boards. They are gorgeous, but I've never seen maple that color. It looks more like mahogany than maple. :/

Troubadour and lbridenstine like this.
  14. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

It looks like roasted maple to me.

15. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

What a gorgeous piece of wood your working with there. Can't wait to see it completed!

16. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

I concur. Certainly not a bad thing, if that's the case.

lbridenstine likes this.
  17. smile-4-me

smile-4-me Tele-Meister

Looks like birds eye maple.

18. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

It is birdseye, its just darker than what im used to seeing and more red. Ordinarily it would be fine, but just not what our friend wants.

I dont know what roasted maple looks like? Is there anyway to tell?

This is part of why I prefer to buy wood in person. Usually drive over to weaverville. Might have to give them a call, but thats work. :p

19. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Lenny ordered that wood and hes currently on a trip. But I talked to him today and he said the place he bought it from doesn't even sell the tempered/baked/fired/roasted wood. So they didn't send the wrong stuff. Its just heartwood. It will get used, but not on this guitar.

So, I'm on the hunt, once again, for some Birdseye that is figured enough to match that flame.

20. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

Unfortunately, I havent made any progress. We had a nasty storm come through and Ive been busy dealing with the damage. Too bad pine isnt good for anything. Im still without power in the shop. Hopefully it will be fixed by the end of the week. Supposedly, down the road a bit its going to be three weeks before they get power back. Yuck.

Had to move the pets (too hot over there), empty frezers, clear enough trees for the power company to actually do their job...Ive been busy. I still have to replace a fence and possibly a roof before its all said and done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.