Lengthy amp 'repair' tale: Bedroom Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Stubee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

OK, long story as short as I can make it: Bought a Peavey Royal Valve 8 about a year ago. Cheap 5W tube amp. Fiddled with it, actually did a pretty big room gig with it, sounded only OK but I figured I'd mod it later. Then this:

1) Microphonic tube stuff. I replaced pre-amp/power tubes, was the power tube. This lasted about a week then:
    2) Started crackling/buzzing/fuzzing intermittently, then constant, any volume, any guitar, both channels, any setting. Bought new = full warranty so took back to dealer. They had it for about a month.
    3) Got it back--couldn't reach 'repair guy' to find out what they did--took it home & plugged in = zero sound, no hum, no buzz, nothing. Checked speaker leads etc, tubes, channels, etc etc, tubes glowed, whatever, back to dealer.
    4) Another month or so, get it back. Plug in, immediate & loud 'buzz/distortion' on any bass note below about 2nd E at any volume, including sleep level (like 2). Back to dealer and this time I talk to 'repair' guy, play it for him. He asks if I've been playing at full volume with gain pedals, answer "nope" and explain it was completely dead. He says he replaced speaker the first time around cuz it was 'blown' and I must be playing it too loud. Explained that was hardly the case...
    5) I leave town, call two months later. Repair guy says he talked to his dad, a PV repair guy, and that this amp was designed for bedroom playing and this is nearly a quote: "Like you get up in the morning in your bedroom and turn it on and play a few notes at low volume, that's all it can do. It's not designed for much more than that with one power tube + an 8" speaker". I tell him I've owned tube amps for about 35 years and still have one or two I bought at least 25 years ago and they sure don't do that" and "are you saying I'll blow the speaker if I turn it up" and he says "Yeah, they just can't play except for really quietly" so I say I'll pick it up and go from there.

My goodness. It's got a short on the PCB somewhere but time to take it to a service center. Tempted to just pull it apart and learn but it's under warranty...I do wish I coulda helped him understand the thing a bit more because he believes what he told me.

At least I've finally got the perfect 'bedroom amp'.

2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

You can't play it except for really quiet? BS!!! Why does the knob go to 10 if its only designed to play at 3? Why did the speaker blow? Its a 5 watt amp, did they install a 2 watt speaker at the factory? This guy either doesn't know what he is doing or there are some serious designs flaws here. I say either return it for another, send to another authorized repair shop, or send a scathing letter to the manufacturer. Your a consumer and have every right to complain about this.

3. Stubee

Oh I know all that but thanks. Just took it back to a dealer--nice guy--who doesn't have a real amp tech. Surprised they tried as hard as they did really, however misdirected.

The post was more for the humor.

4. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

The explanations (line) you got from the "repair person" (clueless) was pretty lame and indeed sad if he really believes it. It's good that you can find humor in all this but the dealer or manuufacturer really need to provide you with a working amp under the warranty. Good luck.

5. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

6. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

That's brutal... even pitiful. The reviews I read for that amp were quite favourable, if memory serves; hopefully the service center can get it working properly for you!

7. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

I think your dealing with local idiots send it back to PV.

8. Stubee

There is an authorized PV service shop 30 miles from here but if that doesn't work I'll return it to PV. I tried these guys because they said they'd look it over & seemed to understand my input on its symptoms.

I can find humor in it because it wasn't expensive & I'll eventually get it set right.

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You will live a long time.

You are able to think calmly even when dealing with the technically challenged!
    I am amazed at some of the things "experts" will say.

Good luck on your quest to get a working amp.

10. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

well said! I appreciate your ability to see the humor in this Mr. Stubee. Sometimes you just gotta laugh!

I wonder how that guy would explain a blown Mesa Triple Rectumfrier?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.