Legend Guitar Amplifiers

Wildhair

NEW MEMBER!
I have a Legend 30w from the early 80's. Loaned it out to neighbors kid and he hooked up the Tom Schultz power soak wrong and blew out the power section. I got it partially working again after replacing the capacitors but it has a loud hum and crackling noises anytime the preamp settings are changed. I can't find a schematic for it, just for the 50w amps.

Local guy who does amp repair said he wouldn't even touch it. Said that tube pre amps and solid state power never worked and almost all of them blew up. He claimed he was a certified Legend tech when they first came out but he won't touch them anymore. All of which leaves me in a lurch. I still have the original tube in it but didn't use it for 30 years after it got blown up.

I want to get it restored and working again. I loved that amp. I recently bought a low end Marshall all tube amp, but it isn't anything like the way the Legend sounded.

Does anyone know where I could find schematics and any bonus information like what output values should I expect and what the best areas on it to begin a more in-depth troubleshooting? I realize I may have to replace all the pots on the front panel since I suspect some rusting may have occurred. It was stored in storage unit for a couple years and was exposed to the good 'ol southern weather here in SC in 2007 - 2007, and in the house since then.

Again, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I only have a fluke for testing, no access to an o'scope. I had previously done board level repair in the late 80's and early 90's but I had access to an o'scope, tube testing equipment and schematics to the equipment (military AA radar systems on the Hawk). And as a side note my soldering skills are badly degraded due to current medication, so I may need to teach a neighbor how to do basic work and stand over them during any work to ensure they don't burn the board connection out or leave cold solder joints.

DCinDC

TDPRI Member
How upstate are you? I'm in Northern Eastern NC.
an experienced tech should be able to fix this. They're just not that complicated. I would forget the other tech's phone number. Sounds like a mother in law.

rexrogers

TDPRI Member
Is the Legend G1260 a celestion speaker? Is it a rebranded model or custom made for legend? Just got an A30 today! Looks all original minus footswitch.

turns out the speaker wasn’t a celestion. I ended up trying some different celestion speakers in the amp. Vintage 30. Greenback. Creamback. Surprisingly settled for the moment on a classic lead 80. Maybe it’s similar to what came in the other models originally. It sure sounds good. Really digging the amp. Hoping to replace using my ‘79 50w Marshall JMP 2x12 combo with it. Being able to control the output volume is a huge plus as well as weight, size, and even style! Different sound but it is a good sound. Plenty loud if needed as well.

strangegear

NEW MEMBER!
My Rock n Roll 50 suddenly stopped amplifying, or at least outputting sound. I noticed others asking for pictures of the inside to help with blurry schematics found online.

Anyone have any suggestions for an amp tech in the Detroit area?

I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• C1E92DF3-1F6C-4EB0-8754-C61AD9AC09D4.jpeg
    C1E92DF3-1F6C-4EB0-8754-C61AD9AC09D4.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 488FACAD-A948-4CF5-80E9-53A1577BD365.jpeg
    488FACAD-A948-4CF5-80E9-53A1577BD365.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 44
  • 1554DD17-618E-41E6-A794-9E5B8A85987F.jpeg
    1554DD17-618E-41E6-A794-9E5B8A85987F.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 47

SCgearhead

TDPRI Member
I need a footswitch for this beast to change the channels. Any suggestions on what will work?
I use the footswitch that came with my Peavey classic 30 to switch channels and turn on reverb on my old Legend Model A 60. It works fine but the names on pedal are reversed from amp- meaning the reverb pedal changes the channel and pedals channel switch switches the reverb. Awesome amp! Got mine for $75 at a pawnshop 20 years ago! It had a bumper sticker and permanent marker art on it but I sanded it clean, looks good now. It crackles and can get extremely loud but I learned (years ago on this forum I believe) to tame it with a small pedal cable connecting the effect loop and use the volume control on the effect loop to keep it from getting too loud.

Organdenstudio

NEW MEMBER!
I'm not sure I understand if this is a forum or a thread I'm not supposed to ressurect. I came here to find some info about an amp I I just bought, and it seems to be kind of rare? I'm an old tube guy and will probably sell this, but if it is rare I'd rather see a collector get it than just take it to a guitar store. Is the classifieds on here the best bet for that? It's a legend rock and roll 100, s/n 03343
16644118057983390298113544174367.jpg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm not sure I understand if this is a forum or a thread I'm not supposed to ressurect. I came here to find some info about an amp I I just bought, and it seems to be kind of rare? I'm an old tube guy and will probably sell this, but if it is rare I'd rather see a collector get it than just take it to a guitar store. Is the classifieds on here the best bet for that? It's a legend rock and roll 100, s/n 03343 View attachment 1034355

The threads in this Amp Owners Forum group are as active or inactive as members posting in any individual Amp Club.

So a popular amp like 'Fender Deluxe Reverb Club' is always gonna be more up-to-date ( current date) with posts, as so many folks own them, and post pics, questions, testimonials...
The Legend Amp Club is always active, just slow and much fewer postings ( fewer owners), but you can always post here, which of course, revives the Club...

Organdenstudio

NEW MEMBER!
I just put the legend 100 I bought on ebay and while taking pictures found an owners manual and schematics in the back pouch of the cover. I figured there might be some interest here so I scanned them. The manual is for the superlead 50, but there's 2 supplemental page explaining the differences in the 100 super lead and rock and roll 100(mine.) Apparently they ran out of manuals. Apparently the file is too big to attach here so if you want it message me with an email addy and I'll send it unles a mod has a better way of sharing it?