Lefty or righty?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Jul 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Do whatever feels natural to you. I'm a lefty, but the first time I picked up a guitar I picked it up right handed and it felt right. Maybe because I throw lefty, but bat righty.

tubelectron likes this.
  2. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

You’re no southpaw? Then you really don’t have a clue. All your arguments are total BS. Saxes and trumpets are irrelevant to the discussion, as is the ever popular “there are no left handed pianos” argument. I have had plenty of nice guitars over the years, all lefty. Any I’ve sold were sold with very little difficulty. As to your comment about vanity, that’s just plain insulting. Until you pick up a lefty and try to play it you have no business making those knds of comments. I don’t really care about whether a guitar teacher is confused by it. I’ll find one who isn’t. Cast no shade to your fellow lefties huh? Yeah right. It never ceases to amaze me how people who can’t possibly understand have such strong opinions about this. Why do you even care?

knockeduptele, tubelectron and Rufus like this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

I'm ambidextrous at most things but not guitar, right handed only playing guitar.

4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Righty tighty here. I don’t even know any friends that play lefty!

There is a guitar tuning that will give rightys an idea of what it’s like to play left-handed:

A1F75361-35E8-4FD3-B1B4-46FFCAE601A0.png

Being an Albert King fan, I always loved the fact that he played righty guitars flipped upside down.

5. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

This kind of antiquated thinking, while well intended, is why left handers have always had such a difficult time.
    Today, there are a plethora of well made lefthanded guitars...much more than 50 years ago. Maybe not in every color choice, but sunburst, black or white will get you started.
    If a teacher cant handle teaching a left handed student...well...they aint much of a teacher.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tubelectron likes this.
  6. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

I am Ambidextrous but I was rather forced Right-Handed as a child (it was in the 60s...) with success, fortunately :cool:. I won't say it is a bad thing, of course, but I should have usefully better stayed ambidextrous... Just in case !

For guitar, it's LH o_O. Why ? I don't know. RH wouldn't work, even if I tried with a borrowed Fender Lead II in late 1979. It was instinctive rather than anything. I'd say it was simply marginal...

But when I found this ES-335TD in 1980, I suddenly thought that I could stay lefty, that it was not a tare :cool: :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say that I still have this instrument and its original case 39 years later. :)

But yes, that's true : LH guitars are more rare, often more costy, with finishes and options reduced... That said, it's way better now than in 1980 : just look at the LH offer for Eastwood Guitars, for example. :cool:

... Left-handed guitars have always struck me as an odd sort of vanity ... :lol:

OK, why not o_O ? Like Hendrix, Mc Cartney, Otis Rush, Albert King, Dick Dale, Al Mc Kay, etc.. And me : thank you for the compliment ! :D;)

-tbln

7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I'm a lefty who learned right, purely because there were no left handed guitars, or basses at school. It didn't matter so much to me then, I adapted pretty quickly. If I were to do it now, I would probably just go left handed, or give up.

tubelectron likes this.
  8. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I'm left handed and play right handed...

When I was a kid and picked up guitar I felt it was the dominant hand you wanted on the fret board... and as far as learning left hand technique (especially bends and vibrato) I learned rather quickly.

However... my picking suffered for a very long time... years.

Still to this day I have a hard time with certain strumming patterns, not many but a few.

Picking individual strings is no longer a problem, I can do so quickly and accurately, but certain strumming patterns remain difficult that should be fairly easy.

Take the verse parts crazy train that has you strumming/muting an F shaped chord... I find that pattern very tough! In fact I can't do it satisfactorily.

But, it's a trade off... I can do legato runs/licks fast with relative ease, and then struggle with things like said above.

I say do what feels natural and enjoy the instrument and what it can do for you no matter the hand you use.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  9. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

My father and older brother are both left handed. Dad had fallen out of a truck at work and jacked up his wrist ages ago, but has always said he was ambidextrous. Hes only ever played right handed, because of his wrist, from the time he started. Small factor was also that he started playing after me, and borrowed my guitars...
    Brother, on the other hand(get it?) Learned playing a right handed guitar upside down and backwards. Not sure when he figured out you could do more than powerchords if you string it opposite, but that was eventually discovered. Unconcerned with a lack of options, hes always just moved the strap button and called it a day. I still periodically shoot him links to lefty strats, teles, and offsets, but hasn't pulled the trigger.

Its up to the individual. If you wanted to play bad enough, you could go opposite, but that doesn't mean its what feels right.

But hats off to you lefty's who play lefty's. When you FINALLY find what you want in LH varieties, you happily post NGD threads KNOWING we're going to tell you your guitar is upside down....

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

I haven't been here long but this is the first one i've seen, glad i caught it.

Fretting out likes this.
  11. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I am lefty & started out playing that way,just flipping my Mustang, until my guitar teacher told my mom I should learn to play it the "right" way or I'd never be any good.
    I'd be a better player if I stayed playing lefty, but I would NOT play pedal steel. In 35 years, I've only seen 2 lefty steels.

Fretting out likes this.
  12. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

Being left handed and playing right I’ve found it to be the opposite for me my picking is pretty well developed , and I usually have problems on the fret board side always have trouble with dexterity getting my pinky involved, so it’s probably bad and made it more weak but I pretty much never use my pinky unless absolutely necessary for Hendrix chords and such

13. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Holding a guitar left handed felt natural right from the start, so I figured why deviate? (That said, is it possible for some to be so dominant left-handed that playing right-handed would never work well?) Since I was stuck borrowing friends' guitars at the start I gave right-handed playing a try and it just didn't compute. Ended up playing right-handed guitars upside down and still strung right-handed, switched to bass instead of guitar out of frustration (also because too many guitarists LOL), and did that for about 8 years. It took the dexterity and confidence of playing that long, plus wanting to learn proper slap bass style (thumb in position to thump the low strings, other fingers to pluck, yeah I know there's a guy out there who does it all upside down anyway!), to make the switch to a true left-handed instrument. Saw a left-handed Fender MIJ bass hanging up in a local shop, bought it right away and never looked back. If the experiment had failed I likely would have stopped playing, instead it was the road which got me back to playing guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.