1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lefty Mex Standard Neck Pickup Polarity?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by PJ55, Oct 30, 2015.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey pickup team...does anyone know if a Lefty Mex Standard ships with a lefty, reverse polarity neck pickup? A buddy at work bought one that has a DiMarzio hummer in the bridge slot that doesn't want to phase in the middle (mixed) switch position. I presume, if it is, that putting a righty pickup in there would solve the problem, or am I missing something?

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lefty / righty pickup won't matter. Also, there is not a standard to which in a set is the RW/RP or what polarity that may be in relation to it's mate (remember RW/RP is a relative term).

Mixing brands can really be a crap shoot.

3. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Just flip the hot and ground wires on one of the pickups and they should be in phase in the middle position.

Only staggered pickups have a left handed version and it's only the magnet stagger that is different. In a staggered pickup, the height of individual pole pieces varies for each string. In a left handed pickup, the stagger is back to front (compared with a right handed stagger) to reflect the way the strings are also back to front. None of that affects phase.

Often a left handed guitar doesn't even come with left handed pickups. They just stick in a right handed stagger pickup. I doubt that the MIM strats have left handed pickups (but as a lefty I'd be very pleased to proved wrong).

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't forget that the cover is grounded on the usual Telecaster neck pickup. Either flip the bridge pickup, or clip the jumper that grounds the cover of the neck pickup, run a separate ground wire to the cover, and flip the original two leads.

5. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Whoopsie, my bad.

6. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

Top of neck pickup is South, bottom is North. The bridge pickup is saddle side North, neck side South. Looks like I am going pickup shopping.

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why? All you have to do is flip the leads on one of the pickups.

8. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

Tried flipping the neck around. would have to do some routing on the body. Might find some stock pickups, or go with Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in bridge, and Alnico II in neck.

9. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Don't know how it works with pickups, but I had a LH tele built for me, and the pickups work fine, don't know how they were wired though, but I can see a potential issue with phase wiring. Pots are the thing to consider, they definitely work on polarity - or rather don't, if RH ones are used and wired left.

Lots of people scoff, but then they don't buy or build left hand guitars, and are only working on what they understand the theory to be. I bought a left hand Tele a while back, and the volume did little, the tone even less, it was either on or off. Every lefty I've pulled off a wall does the same. That's what happens when fender put RH pots in guitars then wire them left.

10. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Turning the pickup around does nothing. You have to flip the leads. In other words, unsolder both leads and resolder the hot lead to where the ground lead was soldered, and vice versa.

11. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

As a fellow lefty I too find that very annoying (and a penny pinching shortcut). It's not about pickup polarity though, it's the taper of the pots.

Technically logarithmic pots are either audio taper (RH) or reverse audio taper (LH). The taper is the rate at which a pot reduces the volume (or rolls off the tone). A linear pot has an even taper (in electronic terms), but because the human ear is non-linear a logarithmic taper sounds more even than a linear taper. In a log pot the rate at which it rolls off increases logarithmically the more it is turned down. But wire it left handed and the taper is even worse than a linear pot.

Fortunately it's now possible to buy left-handed 500k and 250k pots. Not so long ago I could only find 500ks. It's relatively simple and cheap to replace the pots, but why the hell should we have to?

12. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

Drubbing.
    I noticed that on the pot wiring on my Strat. The thing to me is why??? Pots should be clockwise on or increase. Picked the Tele up used. I knew it had issues with the 2nd position. PJ was kind enough to help me out with the wiring, as we found out it was not he winding direction. The issue it's polarity. I used the compass suggestion and the neck magnet is way stronger than the bridge. South to south so instead of a combined stronger magnetic pull they push each other. So the tone, and volume are decreased. Don't think its a left hand issue. Just a bad match on the pickups. Thanks to everyone for your help.

13. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

The pots are wired right hand. That should not cause the issue as the pickup pols are flat. The only time I think the right or left come into play is staggered poles.

14. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

To us, it's penny pinching. To fender, it's whatever the additional cost is to stock reverse tapers for their lefty guitar build quotas. It adds up, probably not to much, but Fender is an accountancy-based product manufacturer.

Fender Australia doesn't even stock reverse taper pots, refused to acknowledge their existence to the point of accusing me of believing in pink Unicorns. The product was in spec, so 'not faulty'.

I solved the problem by taking the Tele back and buying a Tokai LP elsewhere. Not an easy task, returning a lefty that Fender say is working fine. Cost me $70 restocking fee for 'their' trouble. The Tokai is arguably a better product for a lot less money, and they have 4 vol and tone pots that all work as you'd expect. Tokai must have their factory next to the one making Unicorns.

15. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

16. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

TEK...sounds like the best solution might be to wire the hummer in reverse, so as to not require clipping the neck cover ground and running an additional ground wire to the neck pickup cap. Seems like the best solution. I'll catch-up with you on this, but the two in-phase stops sound pretty good, so it's just the mixed-two are the issue. Might be a simpler fix than I thought.

17. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Yep, there's a stockist here in Oz that sells those and 500k ones too. I got a few 250s, but now have a dual P90 tele, so may have to pick up a 500k as well. The 250 in my tone pot works great but gets dark really quick. Going to try a low value cap first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.