Lefty Fretless 24' Duo Sonic with Granadillo fretboard - lots of questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newuser1, Jul 21, 2019.

1. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

I'm building a lefty fretless 24' Duo Sonic with Granadillo fretboard :). Should I put any finish on the Granadillo fretboard and if yes, what finish would work well?

IMG_2132.JPG

How do I cut/finish nicely the pickguard pickup cavities?

IMG_2136.JPG

24 track and LeftFinger like this.
  2. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

'Granadillo' is a very ambiguous name - there are at least a dozen species sold as 'granadillo', so it's kinda hard to tell which one you have here exactly. However, you can try and wipe the surface of your fretboard with denatured alcohol. If you get a colored, oily residue, you're probably good to go with simply sanding it to a very fine grit.

Kudos for your choice for this build anyway, sounds like a very cool guitar!

As for the pickguard, the cleanest way to do it would be using a router - you can make an MDF template by hand and use a template trim bit to copy the slot onto the pickguard. If something goes wrong in the making of the template, you haven't destroyed your pg blank. Make sure you remove as much plastic as possible with a file before taking the router to it - plastic has a tendency to grab the bit and make a mess. For the same reason, make your template wide enough so your router is stable on top of it, and clamp/double tape/masking-tape-and-superglue it to the blank so it doesn't move.

If you don't have a router, you can always use a file and some sandpaper. Go slowly, test fit your pickup covers regularly and everything should go fine :)

newuser1 likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

The wood database doesn't list "granadillo" so its hard to say what you have

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-finder/?fwp_name=G

the obvious suggestion is to experiment on scrap. It don't put any finish on any fretboards, even oil (I don't do maple f/b's) which do require finish.

I've converted a couple of basses to fretless - are you going to put in any kind of markers or lines?

newuser1 likes this.
  4. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

newuser1 and LeftFinger like this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Well, what ever it is, I don't believe any fretboard other than maple needs finish, maple only because it gets so darn dirty without. I'm also one of those folks who don't oil fretboards, but I'm not going to get in that discussion if someone feels they should.

newuser1 likes this.
  6. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

With patience, skill, Dremel to approach as best, and fine files to finish, presenting all the time the pickup cover to check precisely the geometry of your work... It's also what I do, Lefty mate ;) - here for a center pickup and a Jag plate :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck for your project and nice job start, indeed ! :cool:

-tbln

7. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

24 track likes this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

just remember any left handed guitar is a work of ART!

very nice ( from a fellow lefty)

tubelectron and newuser1 like this.
  9. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

I'm not a lefty, but my son is. He is really excited, considering you can't really buy lefty fretless Duo Sonics unless you go custom shop ;)

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.