Lefty Compensated saddles

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by fozhebert, Jan 24, 2018.

1. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

2. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

If they are genuine Fender saddles then no, because they have a flattened underside.

3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

But you CAN buy two sets, Then use two middle ones and one outside one. If you use a wound G you would use 3 sets and then 3 middle ones

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Foz, check out the Stew Mac website and look at the # 5167.

Those can be flipped. Some folks want to "compensate" only one of the 3 stock saddles and they have with the # 5167, enough for 3 guitars. It can be flipped because it is uniform in section - either side can serve as the top.

But first, ask yourself how high your saddles are set up, to play as you want them to. Some folks have their outboard saddles "slammed" enough that there must be some relief on the underside of those # 5167 saddles. You could get those 3 saddles all set up "Lefty Style" then determine how much, if any, brass you have to file off the undersides of those outboard saddle ends to get your E strings down where they need to be.

5. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

Thanks for the information guys. I may go another route. Since I'm not a big bender, I may just get a straight set of saddles and use a wound 3rd. I believe d'Addario makes a set w/ wound G 0.018, I may try that. I've read the wound 3rd really helps intonation. I've bookmarked JD's instruction on setting intonation and will give that a try.

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.