Left my Tele at the shop

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tele-rain, Apr 16, 2011.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I have been in dire need of a set up, or a check up for a long time with my Tele. I've posted about fret buzz in various threads the last few months, so I finally got around to bring her into the shop today. The guy told me it would be 40 bucks plus tax for the set up, and if they encountered any other issues, they would call me to discuss first. I can't afford to have anything done to it, so I'm really hoping the set up tweaking will do the trick. He asked if I had a preference for strings to put on, but I said no. I usually use D'addario 9's, but I'm still such a novice, it doesn't really matter to me. I'll use whatever they put on till I need to change them again myself.

I'm really hoping that the buzz will be taken care of. I'm still in the learning process, also as I've mentioned all over the TDPRI, I know a lot of chords and things, but not really a "player" yet. And it really is more frustrating to try and practice when it buzzes around.

I didn't think to ask if that would be done today, is there usually a same day turn around with these things, or does it vary between shops?

2. GregB

GregB Tele-Holic

It can quite easily take a day or two, or three depending on how much work they have lined up. Also, it the person doing the repair work is also a sales person then it could all depend on how busy it is in the shop that day.

3. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Was this a Private Shop...or a Large Music Store ?

4. Tellebelly

Tellebelly TDPRI Member

You know, I've been playing almost 50 years, and I've never ever been able to play on 9's! If you're like me,and use a lot of right hand maybe you should switch up to 10's. IMHO they sound better, last longer, and don't wank out when you hit 'em!

5. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

The shop will call you let you know if the fret buzz will go away or not. When get that call you can also ask when the guitar will be ready.

6. tele-rain

It's a local store that has been around since 1978....so it's not a chain like GC.

Telebelly - I don't think I have enough playing experience to know what strings I prefer. I think I stuck with 9's cuz I read somewhere that's what was on the guitar at factory. I definitely don't use a lot of right hand picking or plucking...I'm a chord strummer, at best!

My thing is, while I have been taking lessons on and off for years, I'm still not at the point where I can say I prefer one thing to another yet. I just enjoy learning to play, so I figure all that preference stuff will come more down the road :cool:

7. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

I think what he means is if you are heavy handed this can cause that string buzz too....not just a matter of the action being too low or the neck having a bow.

8. mellecaster

If you are mainly a Chord Strummer, .009s would not be the best choice...that's more or less asking for Fret buzz and rattles.

9. tele-rain

Well it does buzz on open strings too, the low E and A, usually.

Ahh makes sense, but I don't think i'm heavy handed. Plus as I said above, it buzzes a bit on open strings too.

I haven't gotten any phone calls tonight and I'm sure they are near closing time by now...so I guess I'll have to wait it out a few days. I miss her already, but I know it's for the best that she get checked out proper :p

10. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

TR, I think you owe it to yourself to try a set of these:

[​IMG]

Not only do they sound better, they don't get all out of shape as easily as 9s either...but you do need that setup with the swap.

I know it's empty without her, but it's worth it and she'll be back home soon.
    If I lived near, I'd have sorted her for a beer.

11. KeefRiffhard

KeefRiffhard Tele-Meister

I don't think they'd be offended if you called to ask when it would be ready.

12. willhowl

willhowl Tele-Meister

Tele-Shine.....

Howdy, Tele-rain....I'm a new poster on this forum.......I'm also a long time guitar student, strictly an amateur player,.......But ,.....40 yrs...........

My opinion.....the shop sounds solid, trustworthy.....go with 10-46 gauge...9 is light, and sounds weak on a Tele....unless you are very experienced.....and have a good amp, and are just magic.....( Roy Buchanan????).........

Also, the heavier strings(10-46) are good for your hands.....

They will make you stronger (left hand )

I think Roy used 12-?......Check the video site......

Carry on, partner...best wishes.......willhowl:D

13. tele-rain

I have one pack of these left:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....ight-Electric-Guitar-Strings-3Pack?sku=H71089

Though my packaging is a bit different. I will try the ones you mentioned next time I'm buying strings!

14. tele-rain

Hiya...welcome to the forum :D

I'm definitely not magic, or Roy Buchanan, or remotely any moderate to expert Tele player :p but I will try the 10's as you and the other fella have suggested.

Now I'm curious as to what they're going to put on my Tele, since I told the guy it didn't matter. He said to the other guy "back to factory standard". Is standard 9s?

15. tele-rain

She's Ready!!

The shop just called, I can pick her up today :D

The guy said the only thing he noticed was on the back of the neck of the guitar...the strip of Rosewood that is over the maple, is slightly loosening up, probably from not playing in long periods of time and the neck having some tension. He said they have the capability to sand it without damaging anything, but also since the weather is going to be changing soon, that it may not be necessary. Just said that if I ever notice anything, I can always bring it back to have them fix it.

Is this one of those BS terms that they want to do unnecessary work on a perfectly good neck, or are they just being good workmen and forewarning me of a potential upcoming issue? It's one of those things that I probably NEVER would know about, being the novice that I am. I think it's legit though, and I think he's just being precautionary, but what do you guys think?

I'm super excited to go get 'er now, but I am in the middle of starting a few home tasks and need to shower. Ahh patience :rolleyes:

16. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

I have never heard of the skunk stripe loosening and if it is a little sanding isn't going to fix it. What does happen sometimes, in these days of thin finishes, is the rosewood doesn't take the finish as well as the maple and might look like it has changed/moved.

As for string gauge 10s are the best bet, but they do make 9.5 sets if you want to slowly work your way up. 10s will last longer and buzz less. Depending on the thickness of your neck it may require a 1/16 to 1/8 turn on the truss rod to keep the proper bow in the neck.

17. tele-rain

Hmm, thanks for the heads up! I have never noticed it being loose at all, and I don't think he said loose, just looked like it was starting to, or something to that effect. I just hope it's not something they did in an attempt to make $$, cuz that would piss me off. Yes, I'm pretty paranoid and skeptical :rolleyes:

I think I've actually had 10's on there once before. I'm fine with them being heavier, my fingers and everything will adjust accordingly. I'm always more concerned about damaging the neck or the guitar. I know my body is flexible, but I never know how flexible the hunk o' wood is!

18. mellecaster

If there are issues with the Skunk Stripe shrinking, you may well have too low Humidity in your Dwelling ?...It's been a Cold Winter, and I would imagine your Heat has been workin overtime. Lack of Humidity is not good on things made of Wood....Are the ends of your Frets Sharp also ?

19. tele-rain

That's definitely true...I have forced air in the house but the humidifier unit had been broken for some time. My brother in law had fixed it, but I know for a long while it was crazy dry in here. I have a basic room humidifier that I used to use in my bedroom (where the Tele sits on a stand) but I never used it on a regular basis. I guess I should do that now until we hit the summer with more humidity coming in naturally?

I have never noticed if my frets are sharp, and the guy didn't mention it, so I'm assuming that's not a prob (hopefully won't be anytime soon!)

20. tele-rain

Still buzzin.

GRRR. This is exactly what I was afraid of, and why I neglected to bring it in for so so long. Never know WHO to trust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever they did seemed to fix the buzz on the open strings, but she still buzzes on the low E string. Seems to start at the 4th fret up till the 8th. A string seems to start a slighter buzz on the 5th fret, and same with G. The low E is the worst. I guess it's better that it's not buzzing open, but why didn't they fix this too??

Could it just be my execution? I keep trying to hit the string in different ways and finger positions. Or is it the aforementioned 9's that are now to blame?

My biggest concern is that I just paid good $$ for cheap strings and a polish. :cry:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.